GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack


The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #57
FlyLo
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: 2011 UG gti
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 105
You guy's see any issue in running a 8'' ET32 in front? I don't mind a little poke, but don't wanna be rubbing like crazy. Im currently at 24 1/2 FTG. Figure 215's would be ok, just wanna make sure before i splurge. lol
FlyLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:23 AM   #58
Phil W
Formula 3000 Driver
 
Phil W's Avatar
 
Drives: UG Mk6
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,017
Nope you should be fine. Poke about 8mm.
Phil W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #59
Vancity2Constantinople
Banned
 
Drives: OO------OO
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Is Unknown
Posts: 11,776
Great information. Thank you. As for spacers, how reliable would you say they are. My friend wants to put 10mm in his gti rears but i told him i wouldn't. its a 2001 VR6 GTI. And what are your thoughts on 50 mm spacers. I think those would be pushed out too far.
Vancity2Constantinople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #60
RSMark5
Formula 5000 Champion
 
RSMark5's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.6 4mo, 9k Aero
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 2,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity2Constantinople View Post
Great information. Thank you. As for spacers, how reliable would you say they are. My friend wants to put 10mm in his gti rears but i told him i wouldn't. its a 2001 VR6 GTI. And what are your thoughts on 50 mm spacers. I think those would be pushed out too far.
Reliable? As long as they machined properly, and the bolts are strong enough you're good. The only thing is that spacers add stress to your wheel bearings (as much as nearly any aftermarket wheel would) from the increased track width. Also, it can create oversteer. But those are pretty much the only negative effects.


10mm are fine. 50mm are fine (given that you enough room. I assume a truck or something, Never a MKVI) but they'd be bolt on spacers rather than slip on.
RSMark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #61
project92raddoslc
Formula 3000 Driver
 
project92raddoslc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 GOLF R
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: doylestown, pa
Posts: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM its mitch View Post
ET35 on an 8" wheel would be the same as having 22mm spacers on stock wheels. I would love to see someone put 22mm spacers on the front without poking...
I run 8 et 37 in the front, which is just about perfectly flush. I'll probably do et35 this season if i keep my wheels. My car is around 24 ftg with stock camber in the front
__________________
I am a trader and ditched my MK6 for a MK7 R.

Service Writer--North Penn VW Colmar, PA
project92raddoslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #62
1FlyGTI
FIA GT Champion
 
1FlyGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 MK6 GTI
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,107
i run 18x8 bbs vz et37 all around and im good. I am around 24 FTG.
__________________
2011 UG GTI | Bagriders | Airlift | GintyFab | Instagram @mk6mike25

3SDMs ARE FOR SALE!
1FlyGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:25 AM   #63
Vancity2Constantinople
Banned
 
Drives: OO------OO
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Is Unknown
Posts: 11,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMark5 View Post
Reliable? As long as they machined properly, and the bolts are strong enough you're good. The only thing is that spacers add stress to your wheel bearings (as much as nearly any aftermarket wheel would) from the increased track width. Also, it can create oversteer. But those are pretty much the only negative effects.


10mm are fine. 50mm are fine (given that you enough room. I assume a truck or something, Never a MKVI) but they'd be bolt on spacers rather than slip on.
Yea I told him handling wise, but he said he will go slow.. I might get 5 mm spacers to flush out my rears but its just a thought right now. Thx for your info.
Vancity2Constantinople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #64
Phil W
Formula 3000 Driver
 
Phil W's Avatar
 
Drives: UG Mk6
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,017
Ttt yo
Phil W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:55 AM   #65
Phil W
Formula 3000 Driver
 
Phil W's Avatar
 
Drives: UG Mk6
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,017
Updated with info on frontspacing
Phil W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #66
Michael5812
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Michael5812's Avatar
 
Drives: ED35R-Line
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,327
On a 18x8.5 et45 215/35 will I be flush? what would I need to be flush
Michael5812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #67
JhnR
Banned
 
Drives: Lemon mk6 GTI
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 818, CA
Posts: 12,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5812 View Post
On a 18x8.5 et45 215/35 will I be flush? what would I need to be flush
215/40/18 will have a nice stretch on those wheels. Im not sure why you wanna go with a 35 series, 40 would work better.

18x8.5 et 45 is "almost" flush. I think a spacer from 5-10mm would really FLUSH it out.
JhnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #68
Michael5812
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Michael5812's Avatar
 
Drives: ED35R-Line
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhnR View Post
215/40/18 will have a nice stretch on those wheels. Im not sure why you wanna go with a 35 series, 40 would work better.

18x8.5 et 45 is "almost" flush. I think a spacer from 5-10mm would really FLUSH it out.
The reason why I wanna get the 215/35 is because I seen a thread here with a 215/35 and I like the way the lip pops out the tire. I also read that it depends on the tire brand, I wanna get falkens. If I was to get a 215/40 will I still get that stretch from the lip here is what im talking about the "stretch" on the lip and tire I like the 1st photo and the 5th
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29245 thats what im trying to get
Michael5812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #69
JhnR
Banned
 
Drives: Lemon mk6 GTI
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 818, CA
Posts: 12,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5812 View Post
The reason why I wanna get the 215/35 is because I seen a thread here with a 215/35 and I like the way the lip pops out the tire. I also read that it depends on the tire brand, I wanna get falkens. If I was to get a 215/40 will I still get that stretch from the lip here is what im talking about the "stretch" on the lip and tire I like the 1st photo and the 5th
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29245 thats what im trying to get
You can stretch your tires so it can achieve that look. You can do it with 215/40/18.

If you want more stretch then use a 205/40/18.

use tyrestretch.com - it will show you a couple of options of tires and stretch
JhnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #70
Phil W
Formula 3000 Driver
 
Phil W's Avatar
 
Drives: UG Mk6
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5812 View Post
The reason why I wanna get the 215/35 is because I seen a thread here with a 215/35 and I like the way the lip pops out the tire. I also read that it depends on the tire brand, I wanna get falkens. If I was to get a 215/40 will I still get that stretch from the lip here is what im talking about the "stretch" on the lip and tire I like the 1st photo and the 5th
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29245 thats what im trying to get
You really have to be low to pull those tires off, if not it'll look odd.
__________________
My fitment info thread
resident wheel noob/troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooloowoo View Post
Someday I'm gonna run a set of Rotas.
Oh someday..
Phil W is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.