GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #3263
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
and further down the rabbit hole i go... i'm only aware of a few failsafe systems, AEM and maybe Aquamist? These are gauges &sensors that automatically cut things like boost/timing etc if it senses a problem right?
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #3264
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 2Dr DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
and further down the rabbit hole i go... i'm only aware of a few failsafe systems, AEM and maybe Aquamist? These are gauges &sensors that automatically cut things like boost/timing etc if it senses a problem right?
Yes, that's correct. SnowPerformance makes one as well.

The 100oct file runs very aggressive timing (esp APRs 100 file). I believe the ecu can only correct for like 12 degrees or so (not 100% sure on this). If something goes wrong during mid pull you want something thats going to dump boost/limp mode.

I have the SnowPerformance wastegate solenoid and SP failsafe module but was never able to get it to correctly work right. I'm now learning that it might have something to do with my AEM progressive controller not playing nicely with the failsafe. The wastegate solenoid is what is actually powered during a system error or failure and what physically reroutes (aka dumps) boost and enters limp mode.

If I had the chance to do this all over again I would go Aquamist, no doubt.
APR K04 / meth injection / custom intake / Eurojet turboback / Neuspeed FMIC / FMIC sprayer / FSB-RSB / Endlinks / 034 Mounts / HPA 75A / AWE TOP / BSH TBP / ECS Catch Can / Solo Werks / Centric rotors / StopTech pads / Tyrolsport / Powerflex Bushings & A.L.K. / Stern Brace / Eurosport Strut Brace & Rear XB / TCR-II System / Misc Interior & Exterior Mods / Build Thread / My flickr
GoodTimesIndeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:03 PM   #3265
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

so i'd be looking into these?
https://www.snowperformance.net/Snow...it-p/30020.htm
https://www.snowperformance.net/Safe...id-p/30100.htm

good chance they would 'play well' considering everything else I have so far is SP. I'll keep looking into all of this, because yea once I'm done collecting all the parts I'd not be far off from the price of an HFS-4 kit which is like 900 bucks...
Old 03-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #3266
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 2Dr DSG
Quote:

good chance they would 'play well' considering everything else I have so far is SP. I'll keep looking into all of this, because yea once I'm done collecting all the parts I'd not be far off from the price of an HFS-4 kit which is like 900 bucks...
Not saying you SHOULD buy this brand or this part, just trying to more less inform you that if you choose to want to run the 100oct file I would only do so with the necessary precautions in place. If running for cooling effects only then these aren't necessary.

I know others will probably chime in and say they run this and that and they're fine (which is OK). Just trying to pass some info on.

And yes, I have WAY over the cost of an HFS kit sunk into my system. If I could sell it all and do it over I wouldn't hesitate. The HFS-4 is just a complete, fail proof system that works and injects on so many different levels then "boost" and "variable pump voltage".
APR K04 / meth injection / custom intake / Eurojet turboback / Neuspeed FMIC / FMIC sprayer / FSB-RSB / Endlinks / 034 Mounts / HPA 75A / AWE TOP / BSH TBP / ECS Catch Can / Solo Werks / Centric rotors / StopTech pads / Tyrolsport / Powerflex Bushings & A.L.K. / Stern Brace / Eurosport Strut Brace & Rear XB / TCR-II System / Misc Interior & Exterior Mods / Build Thread / My flickr
GoodTimesIndeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #3267
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

i hear you man. Well, suppose we will see. I'm all for failsafes though. Gonna be updating all of my stuff together in the cart see what it comes out to haha
Old 03-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #3268
mostic
Rally Car Champion

Drives: VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimesIndeed View Post

And yes, I have WAY over the cost of an HFS kit sunk into my system. If I could sell it all and do it over I wouldn't hesitate. The HFS-4 is just a complete, fail proof system that works and injects on so many different levels then "boost" and "variable pump voltage".

x2
mostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #3269
GIACUser
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2008 MKV EFR7163
Quote:

I ran K04 on my MKV for about 5 years with a race file daily. It saw track time. After I dialed it in this is what I had and it worked very well. It was about 336/335 on dyno with first series of tunes and then tuner jumped timing a bit more and I did not get back to dyno but I could feel the change so I was probably running in the 340's. Car surprised a lot of folks at the track.

Snow stage 2 kit MAFU
Ran 50% distilled water / methanol by volume
2 nozzles
225ml in bung just past intercooler
225ml in throttle body plate
Solenoid between reservoir and pump
Solenoid will of course prevent loss of fluid if there is a leak somewhere downstream from reservoir when system is off (gravity feed / siphoning)

You can buy 225ml jets with built-in check valves - recommended because it is important to get the checkvalve as close to nozzle as possible and push to connect fittings are inherently leaky.

When working with the tubing and connectors try not to put too much stress on tubing connections by bending tubing.

I did not run with a failsafe and don't think you need one for this setup. The ECU can drop 12 degrees of timing and go into limp mode if it needs to.
While running AAA Speedway I ran a full session with a failed water/meth system that was not spraying at all. ECU just dialed back timing. I didn't discover the failure until I went to fill up the reservoir for the next session.

Snow supplies you with sealer for threads of nozzles. If you need more you can actually buy at a local craft store or online. Snow told me that it is E6000.

The controllers are not really high-tech devices (well calibrated) but this will help you get to settings that work for you. Here is a pic of my final settings.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #3270
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

i appreciate all the input giac! Thanks alot!
Old 03-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #3271
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: racecar kngikcuf a sti
I'm making a water/meth Frankenstein of sorts. Anybody see a problem with this setup?

Controller:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-3304

Pump:

https://www.snowperformance.net/300-...p/40800-ee.htm

Solenoid:

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/...-solenoid.html

Nozzle:

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/...zles-do10.html

Throttle Body spacer:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cts-part.../ctshw083~cts/

Tank:

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/...mped-tank.html
Eurodyne Tune • ECS Intake • RSR Clutch • Peloquin LSD • Fluidampr Crank Pulley• Neuspeed FMIC • Charge & Top Pipe • Turbosmart Thing • Dieselgeek Short Throw • Eurojet Catless DP • Vanguard Catback • R8 Coils • Bosch Plugs • 034 Street Density Trans/Motor Mounts • Advanti HY Hybris Black • Conti ExtremeContact • Mabotech m380h w/tune
bart2278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #3272
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

The TB spacer is for FSI engines only per ECS. Not sure how that stands, whether our TB's are the same as MK5 or not.

Otherwise I know someone else who i'm 90% has the same tank and it looks like it fits perfectly in the spare tire area (if you remove spare tire). I'm planning to get the same one.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #3273
GIACUser
FIA GT Newbie

I don't know or can't find any info on the turbo you have posted in your sig, I am assuming it is a BT of some sort. What are the specs for that turbo? In general parts look ok but you have selected a huge single nozzle to spray into throttle body plate. If your calcs show that you need 940ml of w/m then you should distribute with individual jets for each runner for proper distribution. That nozzle is too big to be spraying that close. (opinion).

I am in the process of rebuilding my car and I will be running 5 jets (1250ml total). 4 in the manifold for fueling and one just off of the intercooler for cooling. This is a pic of my manifold which is an HPA but you can also do this with a stock intake manifold. This gives you best atomization and most even distribution.

Note - and of course make sure you have checkvalves or solenoid close to each jet.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #3274
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
The TB spacer is for FSI engines only per ECS. Not sure how that stands, whether our TB's are the same as MK5 or not.

Otherwise I know someone else who i'm 90% has the same tank and it looks like it fits perfectly in the spare tire area (if you remove spare tire). I'm planning to get the same one.
You scared me for a second I had to actually go to CTS and look, but it looks like it works for tsi as well:

http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/product...er-4545-0.html

As for the tank, I was hoping to put it in the spare tire area, so I hop you are correct. It's a nice tank for the price too.
Eurodyne Tune • ECS Intake • RSR Clutch • Peloquin LSD • Fluidampr Crank Pulley• Neuspeed FMIC • Charge & Top Pipe • Turbosmart Thing • Dieselgeek Short Throw • Eurojet Catless DP • Vanguard Catback • R8 Coils • Bosch Plugs • 034 Street Density Trans/Motor Mounts • Advanti HY Hybris Black • Conti ExtremeContact • Mabotech m380h w/tune
Old 03-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #3275
GIACUser
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart2278 View Post
You scared me for a second I had to actually go to CTS and look, but it looks like it works for tsi as well:

http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/product...er-4545-0.html

As for the tank, I was hoping to put it in the spare tire area, so I hop you are correct. It's a nice tank for the price too.
Tank looks good. You probably know that the pump should be mounted back there with tank, most tanks have spot to mount pump.

Methanol is highly toxic and highly volitile (spreads quickly in the air) and unlike gasoline is oderless. I recommend venting the reservoir to the outside if you are putting this in the back of a hatchback. You wouldn't vent your gas tank in to the cabin area for the same reasons. I am using Aquamist reservoirs (10L dual tank) in back of my MKV GTI venting to outside.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #3276
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
I don't know or can't find any info on the turbo you have posted in your sig, I am assuming it is a BT of some sort. What are the specs for that turbo? In general parts look ok but you have selected a huge single nozzle to spray into throttle body plate. If your calcs show that you need 940ml of w/m then you should distribute with individual jets for each runner for proper distribution. That nozzle is too big to be spraying that close. (opinion).

I am in the process of rebuilding my car and I will be running 5 jets (1250ml total). 4 in the manifold for fueling and one just off of the intercooler for cooling. This is a pic of my manifold which is an HPA but you can also do this with a stock intake manifold. This gives you best atomization and most even distribution.
I'll have to hunt down the specs but it's a hybrid k04 basically.

As for the one big single nozzle, it was recommended from a source I trust, so Ill give it a shot. If it seems to not work, I'll document the failing here. As for the solenoid, where is a good place to install it in this? That is the one thing I haven't really nailed down yet.

Tags
dubpl8 w/m his anus