GOLFMKV

US Golf R Review (Motor Trend)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
hmmm...

they need to do track laps.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I'm guessing the difference is that the GTI had a DSG and summer performance tires.

-s

And some other facts such as weight.

Pryme

Ready to race!
I thought the GTi was 0-60 in 6.5 and the R was 5.5, and how does the GTi have better braakes

ToddMcF2002

Passed Driver's Ed
DSG really skews things. The GTI is a nice performer and deserves praise even if it is FWD. I'll still take my 6spd over a DSG any day for driver engagement so it's not even an option for me. Same thing for AWD.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Someone here will tell you that a GTI with a DSG will go 0-60 in 5.8 also...

its all about benchracing...

1badChalupa

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought the GTi was 0-60 in 6.5 and the R was 5.5, and how does the GTi have better braakes

1 test doesn't prove the GTI has better brakes. It has smaller brake rotors and will almost certainly not disperse heat as well.

schwabo

Ready to race!
The GTI is a great car ... if they gave us an option for AWD it would be the BEST car.

Both cars are solid performers.

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
The GTI is a great car ... if they gave us an option for AWD it would be the BEST car.

Both cars are solid performers.

They DO give us an option for AWD...it's called the Golf R... .. .

GTITX1

Ready to race!
DSG really skews things. The GTI is a nice performer and deserves praise even if it is FWD. I'll still take my 6spd over a DSG any day for driver engagement so it's not even an option for me. Same thing for AWD.

Have you ever driven a DSG gti? I was a lifelong manual driver and automatic hater. Biggest problem I had with auto's was essentially getting bored and not paying attention to my driving. I drove the DSG and was sold. I have way more fun in the DSG. I drive it in manual mode 95% of the time, tons of driver engagement, plus I get to keep 2 hands on the wheel.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
1 test doesn't prove the GTI has better brakes. It has smaller brake rotors and will almost certainly not disperse heat as well.

see below....

More weight (R) takes longer to stop.

Have you ever driven a DSG gti? I was a lifelong manual driver and automatic hater. Biggest problem I had with auto's was essentially getting bored and not paying attention to my driving. I drove the DSG and was sold. I have way more fun in the DSG. I drive it in manual mode 95% of the time, tons of driver engagement, plus I get to keep 2 hands on the wheel.

I have (owned a DSG and paddle shift BMW), and I still agree with his assessment. Like anything, its a choice and has pros and cons, everyone's different. I have a great respect for DSG, but its not for me.