• obligatory 3rd option - its your car pick

Votes: 46 9.4%

• Total voters

Beeb

Mk VI
DSG all day all night

boofer

i'd go with the DSG

i did not enjoy the 6MT very much. the clutch was really soft with a somewhat vague engagement point (at least, to me). the shifter throws were decent, though. the DSG, however, was so fast, so fun, and held the gear until i told it what to do. i had a lot of fun with it and it remains the only automatic transmission that i would ever buy. maybe i formed my opinion right after driving the DSG (since i drove that before the 6MT).

i have been driving stick for almost 12 years now (5 speed RSX, 6 speed TSX, 6 speed S2000, and now back to a 6 speed TSX) and i still prefer the DSG in the GTI. i dunno, it doesn't have that laggy torque converter feel to it. it's direct and really quick.

in the end, though, go with what you want. have you driven both? you shouldn't make your decision based on what 20 people said on the internet.

boofer

i test drove both the 6 spd is smooth as butta great shifting but i dont like how light the clutch feels its just feels too soft, but im sure that would help in traffic.

i forgot that you said that too...it really is very soft, to the point where if my clutch felt that soft, i would fear that air got into the hydraulic line.

also, if your gf is going to be driving it occasionally....DSG all the way (unless she is superb with a manual transmission). i cannot stand it when people drive my car and ride the clutch all day and shift like crap, so that, coupled with the stop and go traffic that you described, would make me absolutely recommend the DSG.

Marvin

Ready to race!
So easy for me to say 6 Speed. I drove the DSG and was bored in 5 minutes.
Well I have been driving cars with manual transmission and 'sticks' as you call them (I call them gearlevers) since passing my driving test in 1956 and have to say that I have only very limited experience with automatics.
However my mate has a VW Jetta with a DSG box and has had troubles manoeuvring in very confined spaces or pulling away on some very steep hill we have in parts of the UK.
Not having the 'conventional' torque converter means that power can be delivered rather suddenly and embarrassingy, causing some problems or even front 'axle tramp'.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
If you're used to an auto the stopping/starting is definitely different. It acts much more like a manual trans. The first couple days I had it I was a bit surprised every time it seemed to "surge" when given a bit of gas from a stop, but now it's very easy to control. As for hills, the DSG hill hold brakes, so it's never been a problem for me. Requires a bit more touch than a normal auto, but I actually prefer it.

jman1

Passed Driver's Ed
For me, DSG is the reason I didn't even look at other cars. I love the versatility of it: you can leave it in D for the start-stop daily grind and slide it into manual or use the paddles when the conditions warrant.

The paddle shifting is so much more fun than a stick IMO.... instant, perfect shifts while keeping your hands on the wheel, rather than disconnecting the power with the clutch pedal, sliding a lever and then reconnecting the engine by lifting that clutch pedal while pressing the gas.

BTW, I drove only manuals for the first 10 yrs of my driving life. I love driving and understand the connected feeling and satisfacton of a perfect shift...it's just not fun every day in a typical NA city with straight roads connected by lights and congested highways/freeways.

In the end it, comes down to personal preference, the above is just my take on it.

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
I ended up getting the car I had looked at.

personally i love the DSG. Im 23 i love manual trannys but the DSG was just as much fun to me. maybe i wont feel the same in 2 months maybe ill love it more.

Give us an honest assessment in a couple months and let us know what you think. Might only take you a week however. Congrats on the new car. I'm loving mine and I've had it 2 days.

subacpw

Ready to race!
Give us an honest assessment in a couple months and let us know what you think. Might only take you a week however. Congrats on the new car. I'm loving mine and I've had it 2 days.

i figure ill know in about a week or two if I made the wrong decision. close to 200 miles and im still happy. I did get a lil upset but thats cause i had to get rid of my first car, i was attached.

the quality of the interior blows my old wrx outta the water.

Randycfitch

Passed Driver's Ed
If you live in urban traffic, the DSG is probably a good idea. I drive a 5 spd now and order a DSG on the GTI. I test drove both. The DSG can give you the same control as the manual --- but only when you decide you need it. I'm not sure you loose anything by going with the DSG. IMHO

subacpw

Ready to race!
If you live in urban traffic, the DSG is probably a good idea. I drive a 5 spd now and order a DSG on the GTI. I test drove both. The DSG can give you the same control as the manual --- but only when you decide you need it. I'm not sure you loose anything by going with the DSG. IMHO

where in ATL are you? what dealer did you order from?

I got mine from jim ellis since they had one with everything i wanted on the lot. i didnt want to wait 4 months for one.

carbon

Ready to race!
I think both transmissions are good.
I got the 6sp manual and I kept thinking about the DSG. However, I kept thinking about the 6sp manual when I drive with DSG.