GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 04-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #15
inc55
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2015 GTI Autobahn 4-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2011GTI View Post
Nice work. What was the total cost for all the parts? Also a list of parts would be helpful in putting a complete package together.
Stoptech pads were around 65 bucks from here
http://www.carpartkings.com/centric-...309-07370.html

Calipers can be found using the link in my first post for around 220 shipped.

G2 Caliper paint is around 45.

The brackets from apikol plus the lines and bolts come out to around 350 shipped.

Then you have to consider which tools you need. You will need an 11mm box wrench for the bleeder screws and removing the old lines and installing the new ones. You will need a 21mm socket for the carrier bolts. You will need a torx 30 bit to remove stock rotors if you decide to change them. You will need a 10mm allen bit to bolt the calpers to the brackets. I don't know what kinda bolts apikol will you but for the performance diesel kit it needed 10mm. Removing the wheels requires a deep 17mm socket. All the sockets mentioned here are 6 point sockets, not 12. Plus get some grease from autozone for the thick pin that holds the pads. Also get some anti squeal past. I didn't use any threadlock and I used a little anti seize on the rotor screws.

So you are looking at around 700 bucks for the kit painted given you have the rest of the tools like a jack, stands, and torque wrench, breaker bar and 3/8 drive socket wrench.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #16
inc55
FIA GT Champion

Did some hard stops today with all the heavy stuff out of my car (jacks, rotors, tools for install) and wow, the car stops even better now. Its such a weird feeling. Its like there is strong vertical gravity behind me. The one thing i don't like about this setup is the pads don't cover the whole rotor. I wish there were other rotors out there that were thinner to match pad thickness. Look at the above pictures and you will notice two different colors. It was raining hard yesterday and the rotors had normal rust on them which goes away when you drive but the untouched part of the rotor still has rust on it which blows.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #17
Deaks2
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 VW GTI DSG
I am disappointed to hear about your issues with the Diesel Performance kit.

Did you swap the crossover tubes on the Boxster calipers?
Deaks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #18
inc55
FIA GT Champion

Yea, I swapped them.

I am disappointed that the company doesn't give you any specs about their product. Doesn't take much to do a little research in the product you sell before selling it. How was I supposed to know that I can't torque their brackets to factory spec?? Hopefully the thread lock will keep both of my stripped brackets on long enough for me to replace them.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #19
TXBDan
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: .
Do the stock 17" Goals clear these calipers without spacers?

This guy: http://www.porschecalipers.co.uk is working on modifying Boxster S pads to work in standard Boxster calipers which would give full pad-rotor coverage. I'm sure if you had both pads in hand you could see what needed to be done and take a grinder to the S pads to make them work.
TXBDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #20
MKV Aaron
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Golf R
Derek is local and ordered me this kit. I am getting mine reworked and powder coated. Cant wait!
MKV Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #21
grambles423
Limited Activity

Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Will be doing this later this year or early 2013
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #22
inc55
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
Do the stock 17" Goals clear these calipers without spacers?

This guy: http://www.porschecalipers.co.uk is working on modifying Boxster S pads to work in standard Boxster calipers which would give full pad-rotor coverage. I'm sure if you had both pads in hand you could see what needed to be done and take a grinder to the S pads to make them work.
After I installed the brakes with 5mm spacers I took a 5mm Allen bit and stuck it in between the spokes and the calipers and it fit everywhere beside one location as I got closer to the center of the wheel. I think a 2mm spacer would clear the brakes. Unless you grind away 2mm of caliper then they would clear. I'll take some measurements today.

Hmm, the boxster s pad things looks interesting. I'm assuming more pad coverage equals better stopping power.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #23
cruizin01
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 07 BT MKV
Thanks for the kind words guys.
FYI Im looking into the "S" pad fitment.
Ill update back when I know something for sure.

Derek
cruizin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #24
TXBDan
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizin01 View Post
Thanks for the kind words guys.
FYI Im looking into the "S" pad fitment.
Ill update back when I know something for sure.

Derek
Awesome!
TXBDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #25
inc55
FIA GT Champion

Update: I do not like the brembo rotors because they rust around the hub area. I'm probably gonna install my oem rotors back.

Also, my breaks squeal when I brake lightly. I had a similar squeal with the R32 brakes using stock pads. Gonna try out the brake shims.

Trying to get more info on the Boxster S pads.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #26
Deaks2
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 VW GTI DSG
Try re-bedding the pads to the rotors to kill the squeal.
Deaks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #27
Modshack
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: '13 Beetle TDi Conv., '14 C7 Chebby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaks2 View Post
Try re-bedding the pads to the rotors to kill the squeal.
This combo, for some reason squeals like a Motha... I've tried pretty much everything. Tried Mintex pads which aren't known for noise, Now on Hawk Performance ceramics, lots of Brake disk quiet and it's pretty much under control but still does if I don't heat the pads up regularly. A friend gave me the expensive anti-vibration plates for these but haven't installed them yet. Previous efforts with shim pads didn't help. I suspect it's just the resonance combination of the Mount and Rotor size...

Last edited by Modshack; 05-16-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #28
inc55
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
This combo, for some reason squeals like a Motha... I've tried pretty much everything. Tried Mintex pads which aren't known for noise, Now on Hawk Performance ceramics, lots of Brake disk quiet and it's pretty much under control but still does if I don't heat the pads up regularly. A friend gave me the expensive anti-vibration plates for these but haven't installed them yet. Previous efforts with shim pads didn't help. I suspect it's just the resonance combination of the Mount and Rotor size...
I find it hard to believe that the noise is caused by vibration. I feel like the sound is coming from one single point of the pad hitting the rotor. The noise seems to get worse after hard braking.