GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fit bike in back?

sh314

Ready to race!
I've been thinking of getting a mountain bike after not riding for quite a few years

Is it possible to store it inside the trunk with the rear seats folded down? Or is the only option going with a roof rack?

Thanks

hpowders

Ready to race!
I liked my 2008 Rabbit because the front seats could fold down and I could fit my entire assembled road bike in there. I haven't tried, but I believe the GTI front seats do not fold down.

MrMke

Go Kart Champion
I haven't tried yet but I don't see why not. I used to fold the back seats down in my Speed3 and slide my mountain bike right in. You just need to lay something down first to keep the interior clean.

Bino

Go Kart Champion
I ride with a buddy of mine and he can fit his bike in the back. He getting tired of that tho. He looking into a roof rack like mine.

BIG FAT UNCLE PAULY

Ready to race!
It will fit just fine. I've carried my bike inside a few times. Have also carried a 6 foot step ladder, a ten foot down spout (plastic), down pipe & catback exhaust and other large stuff. The front pass. seat can be moved forward and it does tilt fowards a little bit. Just be carefull not scratch the window heater elements on the inside of the hatch window.

Last edited:

hpowders

Ready to race!
It's amazing just how much can fit inside any VW Golf model!

IHazTurbo

Ready to race!
If I can scrounge up a picture I'll prove it will fit. I took off the front tire to do it but I didn't like the idea of taking the mountain bike off in the dirt/mud and then into my car.

techbiker

Passed Driver's Ed
If I can scrounge up a picture I'll prove it will fit. I took off the front tire to do it but I didn't like the idea of taking the mountain bike off in the dirt/mud and then into my car.

The Thrifty Man's Solution
Buy a 10'x20' sheet of plastic from the paint department at Home Depot for about $15. It comes rolled up. Fold your rear seats down. Then set the roll of plastic down behind the front seats and unroll till you hit the rear bumper, then unroll another 4 feet. Cut it there.

This gives you a big enough piece that you can fold the plastic over top of the bike on all four sides, sort of like you're wrapping it up. That keeps all the dirt/mud/grease from touching the interior as much as is possible.

If you're careful to never let one side of the plastic touch the ground or get dirty in general, you can reuse it as much as you like. Just depends how careful you are in removing it from the car and folding it up to store.

I prefer this method to having a roof/hitch rack mainly because it's cheaper and more secure (in some regards).

Cwykle99

Ready to race!
I put a fully assembled mountain bike in the back of mine, it was an old cheap on so the wheels had to stay on as well as the seat. I would t recommend it without a tarp or something similar to cover the seats, don't want to end up scratching them or getting mud or chain grease on them. But defiitely doable. I also had a passenger so it fit without folding the front seat down.

mattley crue1

Ready to race!
Yes... Very easily, I've fit two light weight cross country bikes, I have also fit a down hill bike... Front wheels off of course

shadow29

Ready to race!
I put my cyclocross bike in the back of my car all the time. Just fold the backseats down & you'll have no problem.

leiito1

Go Kart Champion
These pics should answer your question. Bike, 3 big suitcases, and a bunch of junk I brought back home to Texas for the summer. I still had tons of space left over.

Attachments

• IMG00234-20120518-1225.jpg
    IMG00234-20120518-1225.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 6,576
  • IMG00235-20120518-1225.jpg
    IMG00235-20120518-1225.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 1,933

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
I typically fit my road bike and my friend's road bike in back with the seats down and the front wheel taken off. There's plenty of room just be careful of scratching/denting the bumper and headliner. I do this about 2x a week....

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
My 20" 29er fits. You could probably even fit a 22" 29er. But after having racks shoving things in the boot makes no sense to me.