GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fit bike in back?

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
The GTI has a ton more room than my Scion tC and I could fit an Electra Cruiser with basket in there. It was a tight fit, but it fit. I am sure I could fit a mountain bike. May have to remove the wheels, but I am sure it will fit

sebage

Yes - easily get two road bikes in the back. Front wheels removed.

No extra noise or loss of MPG associated with a roof rack either! Just watch out for the paint and trim....

NTT5418

Ready to race!
I haul my mountain bike back and forth to college with the front tire still attached. The front seat becomes basically unusable if you're over 5 foot though :)

John224

Passed Driver's Ed
this is how I carry mine...bought the hitch from etrailer and installed it myself. pretty cheap and easy mod.

Attachments

• photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 826

tardman91

Ready to race!
It depends on how big your bike is. I can fit my XL frame road bike in the back with the front wheel removed, but it's kind of a pain in the ass. I got a roof rack and I'm much happier with it.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
It'll fit, I'm 6'2" and my road bike which is actually slightly large for me fits, my mountain bike is a little smaller. That said I have to take the front wheen off of either, and bikes actually fit better in my old Civic coupe. I don't often do this though, as I really don't want to screw up my nice GTI interlagos interior! I might try the visquine plastic sheet method mentioned earlier, it sounds pretty convenient. I have a thule rack I could put on this car, but after having one on the Civic, I know it's not my favorite solution.

desmat

yeah my road bike fits in there with the back seats down and the front wheel off

Same here. I even put 2 road bikes or 2 mountain bikes with the front wheels off and stacked on top of the bikes. I put a blanket between each layer :thumbsup:

I find it more quieter than a roof rack but of course, you have more chances to scratch the interior...

John224

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice! How stable is the bike when driving?

It's really stable. That rack is by far one of the cheapest rack yet it is one of the lightest. The stability comes from the bike being held down by the attahment on the top tube. My friend has the same setup and he was using a Thule T2 rack until he saw mine. He sold his T2 in favor of this lightweight rack. There is a thread on his subject over at mtbr.com in the car forum.

I was able to fit my road bike (56) in the trunk with the seats Folded down before I could install my hitch. All I had to do was remove the front wheel.

Hope it helps
John

Last edited:

Ahddallas

Passed Driver's Ed
It's really stable. That rack is by far one of the cheapest rack yet it is one of the lightest. The stability comes from the bike being held down by the attahment on the top tube. My friend has the same setup and he was using a Thule T2 rack until he saw mine. He sold his T2 in favor of this lightweight rack. There is a thread on his subject over at mtbr.com in the car forum.

I was able to fit my road bike (56) in the trunk with the seats Folded down before I could install my hitch. All I had to do was remove the front wheel.

Hope it helps
John

Thanks for sharing. I was considering a roof rack but I like your setup. Is yours the Swagman XTC-2 model?

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
The road bike is a 58 cm.
Mountain bike is a 19" 29er.
The fixie is a 55 cm.

Both the road and mountain bikes fit with the front wheels off and no adjustments to the front seats. The fixie I need to pull the passenger seat forward but it works with wheels on.

Just remember if you're leaving a bike in there while you're at work or whatever to let air out of your tires! Otherwise you'll pop them, as the heat inside the car will increase the pressure dramatically in the tube.

John224

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for sharing. I was considering a roof rack but I like your setup. Is yours the Swagman XTC-2 model?

My rack is the hollywood rack, but I think it is the exact same one as the Swagman XTC-2 from etrailer. I had a roof rack on my previous car and I hated it...so freaking loud! and a pain in the a$$ to put the bikes on and off, removing the wheels etc... the new rack has the option to put an integrated cable that uses the same key as the hitch lock...

FiGGy77

Ready to race!
back when i first picked up my bike...it was on the MKV rabbit, but it's practically the same. kept doing that for a while, then eventually bought a thule system.

Attachments

• 29495_444413196208_500251208_5556089_608194_n.jpg
    29495_444413196208_500251208_5556089_608194_n.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 576