GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any old fogeys like me with a GTI - I'm 43

watson

Ready to race!
I am older than you OP, by a few years, and love my little grocery getter! Rep'n, old hippies everywhere ;)

Attachments

• P30300071.JPG
    P30300071.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 154
  • P4200007.JPG
    P4200007.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
Just turned 39 and I personally don't think there is a better choice, BUY it. I wish I could have had one at 18, would've been this vdub fan's dream come true.

Kill Joy

39 here! 1st car I ever owned was a 97 GTI MK3 and I was 24 then. I had the MK3 for 15 years. Over those 15 years I got married to the girl of my dreams, had my 1st daughter (12 yrs old now), own a dog (Lucky), purchased a home, leased a BMW 5 series, leased a honda accord, had my 2nd daughter (3 yrs old now), purchased a MAZDA CX9 SUV (btw every time I drive the SUV, I wish I was driving my GTI, lol).

I must admit when I decided to retire my MK3 it felt kinda awkward looking at the GTI at the dealership and realizing that there was a teenager with his parents looking at the same car, had I out grown my favorite ride, lol. But that's what made me realize that this car was right for me even 15 years later. No matter how often I drove the BMW, Honda Accord and Mazda CX9 SUV, I still couldn't wait to jump in that GTI, it was simply a fun ride and I refused to let go of that feeling! It definitely has a hold on me!

BTW I purchased a 2012 GTI Deep Pearl Black Autobahn, oh and also added another member to the family my now 4 month old son! (heh.... I guess it was a good thing we got the SUV, lol)

mk6cruzen

Ready to race!
37 here. This is my 2nd GTI. I had an 89 16v in high school. It is my profile pic. I've also had a 90 Passat 16v, a 97 Jettta, and the wife currently drives a 10' Conv Beetle.

Sent from my phone with typos

exsuby

I am 55 and enjoy every minute of it. I had a 81 scirocco and a 87 Scirocco 16v. Just wondering whether i am too old for stage 1 though.

watson

Ready to race!
I am 55 and enjoy every minute of it. I had a 81 scirocco and a 87 Scirocco 16v. Just wondering whether i am too old for stage 1 though.

You are not too old...otherwise I'm way too old for ko4 (I just rationalize that I am now mature enough to handle the added power) :rolleyes: right....:laugh:

Bandit1

Ready to race!
nice one.

OP, people who say a guy is having a mid-life crisis because he is in his 40s and drives anything other than a big cushy sedan, minivan or some other version of multi-kid hauler, are boring mouth breathers who believe that being 'practical' and depriving themselves of some enjoyment in life is the 'mature choice'. BALLS I say. BALLS!

And anyway, the GTI isn't really that impractical. Its a hatch, gets good mileage, etc. A Z4 roadster, MX5, a porshe, etc: while all are impractical, I don't believe in the term mid-life crisis. The thought that you should stop enjoying your life and think only of practicality and family once you pass a certain age is massively depressing and I don't subscribe to any of that shit. Buy the GTI brah! I'm 35 btw.

Well said.:thumbsup:

ShrekSquatch

Ready to race!
Just turned 40 and jokingly refer to my new GTI as my practical midlife crisis car. 4 doors, great gas mileage, fun as hell, and decently priced to boot. Nothing about it was impulse, I did my homework and decided it was an intelligent decision. I tell people I got the hatchback so I could have room for my walker.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
From the looks of things, not to many 18 year olds own GTIs!

Cyclehobby

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm 57 and well beyond a mid-life crisis...lol! I don't see the GTI as a car for 18 year olds (because like others, I couldn't afford one when I was 18), but rather I see it as a car for VW enthusiasts. If you like to drive, like cars and like the GTI, you're age doesn't matter. Hell, I plan to keep this on for a few more years, so the next one I buy will have me at 60-ish years old - and I'm excited about it.

I actually find myself poking fun at other people my age who drive "adult cars", but most of those that do, probably don't enjoy cars or driving anyway.

Besides, I think I look cool in my GTI with my grey hair blowing in the breeze... And, as I cruise past people, they DO LOOK and they can't see my 57-year old pot belly and arthritic hip!!!!! what could be better??!!??

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I'm 57 and well beyond a mid-life crisis...lol! I don't see the GTI as a car for 18 year olds (because like others, I couldn't afford one when I was 18), but rather I see it as a car for VW enthusiasts. If you like to drive, like cars and like the GTI, you're age doesn't matter. Hell, I plan to keep this on for a few more years, so the next one I buy will have me at 60-ish years old - and I'm excited about it.

I actually find myself poking fun at other people my age who drive "adult cars", but most of those that do, probably don't enjoy cars or driving anyway.

Besides, I think I look cool in my GTI with my grey hair blowing in the breeze... And, as I cruise past people, they DO LOOK and they can't see my 57-year old pot belly and arthritic hip!!!!! what could be better??!!??

Hey man, having hair at 57 is the accomplishment. The car is a bonus!

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
Your car should represent your personality....well, that's what I've always thought at least. I've had 5 VW's (and still have 2 of those) since 1999 and each one has represented me well.

88 GLI 16v
2004 GLI 1.8t (still own)
1995 Cabrio (lowered, not just a chicks car)
2003 20th AE GTI
2012 GTI (current dd)

I've loved every single one of them. I'm 32 now and get looks from people of all ages. It's a hot hatch.....who doesn't love a hot hatch??