GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ordering a 2013 GTI

MCPunk79

Passed Driver's Ed
Greetings Forum members!

This Friday, the 27th of June 2012 I will be ordering a brand new 2013 2-door VW GTI in candy white with the DSG auto trans (for the family) from Duluth Volkswagon in Duluth, Minnesota. I'm looking VERY forward to the car and to joining yet ANOTHER forum.:happyanim:

I test drove both the GTI and the Focus SE model and there just was NO comparison. The response of the steering, the turn in with cornering, the brakes, the sound of the engine/exhaust and just the build quality is top notch... not to mention the turbo!!!:w00t: I recently sold my 2002 Focus SVT which I was so enamored with, but it was a 6-speed and had 93K on it. I really thank the SVT for introducing me to the "hatch world", I knew one day I would own another hatch. I'm so honored to climb to the very TOP of the mountain and become the future owner of a glorious Vdub GTI!

I've long been a fan of small, nimble handling cars and the GTI just does SO many things well, and handling is just one of them! My SVT was such a joy and such an amazing DD, but after test driving a 'GTI it's a whole different world. Even with the few mods my SVT Focus did have, it was a bit underpowered. (intake, TB, short throw, plugs, wires) I will however say, the style of the exterior and interior is something I still miss. However, the styling and ambiance of the GTI really takes my breath away. the Interlagos plaid interior and the 18" detroit wheels are just awe-inspiring! It's really going to be a difficult 90 days to wait for the new model to come into stock.

A little background on myself and the OTHER automobiles I drive:

In 2008 I purchased/ordered a grabber orange Ford Mustang from a ROUSH dealership in Wisconsin and in four years completely transformed the car into a "BOSS style" ROUSH Stage 3 Mustang. Suspension, exterior body kit, wheels, ROUSHcharger and interior where all modified/installed. The car was my first BIG project after getting out of college. I really love the car, it's a complete "show car" and a "Sunday driver".

Up next I decided to dive into the JDM world and found a VERY rare gem: 2000 Honda Civic Si with 6900 original miles. Completely stock! (I've sine lowered it on Eibach's Pro kit and added a JDM shift knob). Picked it up in Nov. of 2010 at a dealership in White Bear Lake, Minnesota. This was the first car in which I learned to drive a manual transmission.The car is VERY enjoyable and really got me into rare cars (at least rare in my area) that I don't often see or get a chance to drive. It also really opened my eyes to the import world which I had long admired from afar. This car really opened many unique doors for me, and was featured in "Super Street" magazine in 2011.

I've now saved my favorite for last!:thumbup: For 2 1/2 years I searched and searched for the car of my dreams, and this June I FINALLY found it! June 6th of this year I picked up my next pride and joy: a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX! For SO long I've longed for a turbocharged AWD rally car. I've always enjoyed the JDM market and for me, this is the ULTIMATE! Car has 32K on it and some very tasteful mods. I've since been modding this car since purchase and I will continue on with the modifications. E85 is in the future along with a new suspension setup.

current mods:
AMS Front mount intercooler
Injen Intake
Tanabe Medalian Concept G blue turbo back exhaust
Myne headers with Titek o2 housing
GFB (Go-fast bits) BOV (Adjustable)
Tein mono flex coilovers
BBS SE rims
Slotted brake rotors
RAZO shift knob

Well, thanks for reading my VERY long-winded introduction thread. I look forward to picking up my NEW GTI and learning and experiencing SO many new things with it! Suspension setup and possibly an APR stage 1 setup is what I foresee... I have a friend who might be picking up a Focus ST, but IMO the GTI is a bit more bang for your buck. I can't wait to add the VW GTI to my happy little family!!! I appreciate all those who took the time to read my story, Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Michael

Last edited:

MCPunk79

Passed Driver's Ed
Here are some pictures of my wondrous SVT Focus! The car that really leaned me towards the GTI

With EAP rims:

MCPunk79

Passed Driver's Ed
and to close things out... I was once a GM owner... 2002 Monte Carlo was my DD for a few years after my Mustang was ordered. It was an enjoyable car at the time and it served it's purpose. This along with the SVT was sold in order to make room for my new additions.

ComiTheHomie

Passed Driver's Ed
im another mustang guy turned gti owner. u will enjoy on this side of the driving world. id highly suggest going stick shift on the gti instead of dsg. the manual is one of the smoothest ones ive driven and for those amazing blasts on windy roads, the standard transmission really shines!

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Nice cars, indeed its crazy that you found a Si with that low miles, if you don't mind asking, how much did you get the Si for?

ohsnapzombies

Ready to race!
I lusted for an electon blue SI and actually owned white EVO VIII (yours is a IX). The civic was nearly perfect and the best Civic SI IMHO. I sold my EVO VIII because i was tired of the gas mileage. Averaged around 14 on a 12 gallon tank. (HKS 264/272 Cams, intercooler HKS TBE, Hallman holding at 24lbs of boost, ohlins coils, hotchkis sways....ugh it was awesome).

Went from that to an Xterra and still have the xterra and then the GTI. I LOVE MY GTI!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Sweet welcome to the FORUM!

MCPunk79

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I would have picked up the manual, if I was the only one driving it... but as stated the car is a DD and for the whole family. I have enough manual cars at this point to get my thrills from.

I really, really considered the ST, but I would never pick up a first year model... and again, being they only offered it in a manual, I couldn't go that route. The automatic in the Focus SE and SEL models are just deplorable compared to the GTI, and with all the issues they've had with it recently, it was one of the main reasons I went with the dual clutch auto on the GTI. I really think the tangerine scream ST would have complemented my grabber orange Stang quite well, but all in all, after doing some research and some test driving, the GTI is a winner HANDS DOWN! If I could get another manual tranny car, I would have went for the Golf "R" over anything, including the ST. I think an AWD car in MN. would have made sense.
I actually sat in and really got a good close up look at the ST in Carlisle, PA. last month at the Ford Nationals. A really great looking car that was VERY comfortable. But, it still didn't match up to the build quality of the German engineered GTI.

My SI after a trade in for an 02 PT Cruiser was just over 7K. I've had offers of near double that for the car. Especially for those enthusiasts who drooled over the EBP Em1 when they were in high school... My SI is a perfect example of a time capsule. It's so clean and so simplistic that I just enjoy it so much! And in similar fashion with the SVT Focus and the GTI, it has a steering response and handling capabilities that are really remarkable.

My Evo right now is my pride and joy. With the exception of the AWFUL TEIN racing coilovers, I am completely smitten with every aspect of the car. It's a VERY difficult car to drive conservatively. I got I think 160 miles off the last tank. AWFUL gas mileage, yes... but the smile it puts on my face, is worth the tank of gas. Next summer I plan to go E85 with a conservative tune if I can find enough stations in my area. I also want to take it to a local track in my area (Brainerd International Raceway) and give it a good go. I've attending a few import events at the raceway and it's really a remarkable experience.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes, and once the GTI has arrived you can expect many, many pictures to complete my family collection. :thumbup: