GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 07-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Bill1975
Oval Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI - Carbon Steel Gray - 6MT
Pre Road Trip Checklist?

Taking a week-long trip from Dallas to Chicago in two weeks. I've never taken this car on a long trip before, so I'm wondering what I need to check. Car is a 2013 GTI 6mt. 97,000 miles (mostly highway) I'll be changing the oil and filter before leaving. Last weekend I rotated the tires, checked the axle boots and brakes, everything looked good. Everything else is up to date per the manual.

I do have a very small coolant leak that I can't locate, even with a pressure test. I'm taking it into the dealer in case it's the water pump (which has already been replaced once). Will also be getting an alignment done.
Bill1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #2
alpha3
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '14 CSG GTI
Sounds like you've thought of most things; the coolant thing would worry me though, it's good you're taking it in to the dealer before leaving. I wouldn't want to have a major leak develop on a road trip. Maybe keep a spare coilpack in the hatch just in case.
alpha3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Pretty much have it covered. Keep an eye on fluids when you stop for gas, otherwise just listen to the car.

What brings you to chicago? Pretty big VW scene here. There's a meet outside of the city on thursdays a little bit if youre interested while you're here.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
I'd buy a small air compressor you can plug into your 12v outlet to pump your tires and one of those miniature jumpers.

I always seem to have tire issues though, so I always have an air compressor in the car. For a longer trip I might even put my repair kit in the car with some rubber cement too https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
1ashchuckton
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI CSG-DSG
I'll add this to what has already been said. Carry a gallon of distilled water & a couple quarts of oil. Have a fun trip.
1ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #6
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
oil up.

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
I'll usually toss my breaker bar and torque wrench in the back for a long road trip, along with a little coolant and oil.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
Bill1975
Oval Champion

Thanks guys, I figured I had it covered but wanted to check. I'm in the habit of keeping extra coolant and oil on hand already, spare tire is in good shape. I'll make sure to bring my breaker bar and VCDS cable as well. Just in case!

I'm visiting my sister in Columbia, MO, then up to Rockford, IL to see my mom, then to Chicago. I was born in the suburbs, but my dad and his family grew up in the city, I like visiting their old neighborhood in the Ukrainian Village and seeing the town when I'm there.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:01 AM   #9
Lazer 100
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
I ALWAYS keep a spare ignition coil in the back. Ive got red R8s but still ...

Also, and this sounds ridiculous but... were lucky in Dallas to have 93 octane. I had a hard time finding it in OK, MO, and KS the last time I drove to Michigan and then later to Nebraska. Your mpgs are going to suck on the 91 or 89. Believe it or not, the STP octane booster really helped on my last trip. Like 24 mpgs without vs. 31 mpgs with it.

Just something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lazer 100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #10
Blakcard
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer 100 View Post
I ALWAYS keep a spare ignition coil in the back. Ive got red R8s but still ...a good move really though.

Also, and this sounds ridiculous but... were lucky in Dallas to have 93 octane. I had a hard time finding it in OK, MO, and KS the last time I drove to Michigan and then later to Nebraska. Your mpgs are going to suck on the 91 or 89. Believe it or not, the STP octane booster really helped on my last trip. Like 24 mpgs without vs. 31 mpgs with it.

hmmmm

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29489
Old 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #11
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
I do long trip all the time (4 times a year) puncture repair kit, small tool kit with the basics (Torx and Hex bits) and a roll of white external use Gorilla tape (aka Duct Tape or Racers Tape if you have it) if you have a minor accident ie. bumper or something dragging or touching the wheel, the Police will NOT let you drive off if you can't secure the part from being a hazard. Do what Nascar does and tape it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer 100 View Post
... we’re lucky in Dallas to have 93 octane. I had a hard time finding it in OK, MO, and KS the last time I drove to Michigan and then later to Nebraska. Your mpg’s are going to suck on the 91 or 89. Believe it or not, the STP octane booster really helped on my last trip. Like 24 mpg’s without vs. 31 mpg’s with it.

Just something to consider.
Seriously, ...how much do you bring along for a long trip ?

To not hijack this thread, we should prolly leave this for another discussion. I don't dispute the fact that it works but having experienced mixing gas for racing, those bottles that they sell usually don't do sh!t. There is simply not sufficient quantity to affect the octane of a tank of gas by more than 1 octane number.

Just Saying

Last edited by MLue1; 07-13-2018 at 06:01 PM. Reason: can't spell bumper
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #12
Bill1975
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
I do long trip all the time (4 times a year) puncture repair kit, small tool kit with the basics (Torx and Hex bits) and a roll of white external use Gorilla tape (aka Duct Tape or Racers Tape if you have it) if you have a minor accident ie. bumper or something dragging or touching the wheel, the Police will NOT let you drive off if you can't secure the part from being a hazard. Do what Nascar does and tape it up!
Good idea, I have a small tool kit that I was given years ago. One of those multi screwdriver things with different driver, torx and hex bits, along with a pair of pliers and wire cutters. I usually keep that next to the spare.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #13
Lazer 100
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post

Seriously, ...how much do you bring along for a long trip ?

To not hijack this thread, we should prolly leave this for another discussion. I don't dispute the fact that it works but having experienced mixing gas for racing, those bottles that they sell usually don't do sh!t. There is simply not sufficient quantity to affect the octane of a tank of gas by more than 1 octane number.

Just Saying

Depends on how far Im going, and where. Some places are better than others. Usually a couple bottles per tank. Some are definitely garbage. The STP works well.

Lazer 100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #14
Bill1975
Oval Champion

Well, the dealer can't find any coolant leak, even though I've had to top it off twice since having the water pump replaced. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.