GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Differences between the tsi and fsi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
However the OP asked for the difference between the MKV FSI and MKVI TSI, of which there are many.

So I decided to again attempt to educate people that the labels in no way shape or form actually identify which engine is physical under a cover with FSI or TSI on them.

There is no correct answer to the difference between a mk5 fsi and mk6 tsi, since it does not indicate which engine it has.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Y

To tell you the truth I have never looked at the designation on the engine covers of the various VW/Audi models. I just know which ones have EA113 motors and which ones have EA888 motors. The Golf R and Audi A3 are the only exceptions to the general rule that is that TFSI = EA113 and FSI = EA888.

No those aren't the only exceptions and you have already given us a list that shows that you cannot easily identify which is an Ea888 and which is an Ea113. all the more reason it is important to understand that what the engine cover says is just a marketing label.

Audi All currently labeled TFSI
A3 Ea888
TT Ea888 with valve lift
TT-S EA113
A4 Ea888 with valve lift
A5 Ea888 with valve lift
Q5 Ea888 with valve lift

VW all currently labeled TSI
Eos Ea888
CC Ea888
gli Ea888
NNB Ea888
GTI EA888
Golf R Ea113

notice all those Audis with Ea888 engines labeled TFSI..

Skirball

Ready to race!

C4L

Banned
There is no correct answer to the difference between a mk5 fsi and mk6 tsi, since it does not indicate which engine it has.

But you KNOW that the Pre 2008.5 MKV FSI is the EA113 and the 2008.5+ MKV and MKVI TSI is the EA888...
The MKV, when it switched from the EA113 to EA888 ALSO changed the nomenclature from FSi to TSI at the same time, no?

Sounds like you were just being a smart ass and impressing us with your wikipedia skills.

C4L

Banned
No those aren't the only exceptions and you have already given us a list that shows that you cannot easily identify which is an Ea888 and which is an Ea113. all the more reason it is important to understand that what the engine cover says is just a marketing label.

Audi All currently labeled TFSI
A3 Ea888
TT Ea888 with valve lift
TT-S EA113
A4 Ea888 with valve lift
A5 Ea888 with valve lift
Q5 Ea888 with valve lift

VW all currently labeled TSI
Eos Ea888
CC Ea888
gli Ea888
NNB Ea888
GTI EA888
Golf R Ea113

notice all those Audis with Ea888 engines labeled TFSI..

I did honestly think that all but the A3 of the current 2.0T offerings from Audi were still the EA113. Regardless of the nomenclature used on the engine cover which I also admitted I never looked at.

It seems as though VW/Audi switched over the EA113 and EA888 motors at the same time they also started using proprietary engine nomenclature for each. I, logically, assumed that the change in the nomenclature indicated a change in engine, which happened simultaneously on many models.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
But you KNOW that the Pre 2008.5 MKV FSI is the EA113 and the 2008.5+ MKV and MKVI TSI is the EA888...
The MKV, when it switched from the EA113 to EA888 ALSO changed the nomenclature from FSi to TSI at the same time, no?

No there are mk6 vehicles with Ea113 engines labeled TSI. Why are you still not getting this? Saying mk6 TSI doesn't tell us what engine anyone is asking about. Why is it so wrong to understand there is a difference?

IS it a 1.4 turbo? 1.4 twin charger? or one of several 2Ls?

Sounds like you were just being a smart ass and impressing us with your wikipedia skills.

I've actually been educating people on this since 2008, has nothing to do with wikipedia (but at least I have those skills because if you actually looked there you would find all your mistakes) and everything to do with a refusal of people to accept they might learn something.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Wasn't that the whole purpose for the EA888 line was that it was Audi's take on the DI 4 cylinder for their use to replace the EA113 which was VW's first crack at that layout? It only make sense that Audi will use that engine widely also...

BoomBoy

Ready to race!
I wish VW and Audi would drop the marketing crap that just confuses people and label the engine what it is.

What it should have been:

MKV GTI pre 2008.5 / Golf R = FSI Turbo
GTI post 2008.5 = TSI

That's all.

502fasthatch

Ready to race!
Originally Posted by Arin@APR

The FSI head does not flow as well as the TSI.
The FSI is more susceptible to knock than the TSI.
The FSI does not have as good of a fueling system as the TSI.
The FSI has more internal losses compared to the TSI.

The TSI is just better so it makes more power. We should expect that form a completely new engine from VW. That's how progress works. That's all.

Thank you sir thats all i waned to know is what the major differences were in making the tsi faster thanks

C4L

Banned
No there are mk6 vehicles with Ea113 engines labeled TSI. Why are you still not getting this? Saying mk6 TSI doesn't tell us what engine anyone is asking about. Why is it so wrong to understand there is a difference?

There are NO MKVI GTI's with EA113 motors. The Golf R, which is MKVI, yes.

The OP specifically asked about the MKV GTI FSI (which we KNOW is EA113) and MKVI GTI TSI (which we KNOW is EA888).
In the case of VW, FSI = EA888 EXCEPT for the Golf R.

C4L

Banned
What it should have been:

MKV GTI pre 2008.5 / Golf R = FSI Turbo
GTI post 2008.5 = TSI

That's all.

That is exactly what it is... The Golf R is the monkey wrench in there.

The confusion is with the Audis where they use TFSI or Turbo FSI as the designation for the EA888 motors and previously used FSI Turbo (the same thing...) for EA113 motors.

C4L

Banned
Wasn't that the whole purpose for the EA888 line was that it was Audi's take on the DI 4 cylinder for their use to replace the EA113 which was VW's first crack at that layout? It only make sense that Audi will use that engine widely also...

ALL the VW 2.0T motors are EA888 sans the Golf R, which is effectively the TT-S motor from Audi which is EA113.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I did honestly think that all but the A3 of the current 2.0T offerings from Audi were still the EA113. Regardless of the nomenclature used on the engine cover which I also admitted I never looked at.

What I was getting at was that^

Audi was the lead in the EA888's birth and its not entirely surprising that they would use it on most of their cars....Granted the version more commonly used differs from VW's version with the stronger internal and VVL.

C4L

Banned
What I was getting at was that^

Audi was the lead in the EA888's birth and its not entirely surprising that they would use it on most of their cars....Granted the version more commonly used differs from VW's version with the stronger internal and VVL.

I actually believe the first application of the EA888 was in the 2008.5 MKV GTI.
Yes, it was Audi developed but was first used in that car.

Status
Not open for further replies.