GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 08-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
DarkCloak
Banned

Drives: 2010 VW GTI Ice Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocktastic View Post
I'm an idiot because: I tried name brand rotors, and they warped. So I picked up a set of cheap rotors and they didn't. Okay?

Name means nothing to me. Performance does.

Judging by your signature, name means a ton to you.

I'm not saying the true Brembo BBKs are garbage, by any means. But these rotors are just a cheap blank made by the lowest bidder.

If I was buying OEM Replacement rotors, I'd just pick up OEM Rotors from Keffer for $67.50 each, they work.

Which is what the OP was asking anyway.
Do you still not see that I recommended the OP get a different brand from ECS Tuning with an anodized coating in my first post? You seem to think that I am recommending him get them when obviously I recommended a completely different brand. Read my post then comeback and comment.

As for performance I am sure my car will outperform yours at any track, anytime!! So do not say that I only car about some sort of silly brand name. Other than a set of wheels and brakes you would not even be able to see 95% of my mods.
DarkCloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
Stocktastic
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: I gotter meotter.
Send a message via AIM to Stocktastic
Your response to the OP's link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloak View Post
Yes, they are very good! #1 Name in brakes for a reason. Consider though getting discs that have anodized coatings though. It really keeps the rust of and keeps things looking sharp. Try these for instance: (The price is per pair so it is comparable to the Brembo.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...Rotors/ES6212/
Here's where I was simply addressing my experience with the Brembos.

Quote:
Those "brembos" are just cheap Chinese made blanks.

Had a set for my old car. No coating, poor vent design, and they warped the 3rd week.

OEM Rotors are like $67.50 from Keffer, and they are good!
Then you came in here and acted like I shot someone.

Quote:
They are Brembo. I do not see why you put quotes around the "brembos" as if they are knock offs. Brembo makes their rotors in China for the same reason most people make Iron products. China is the Iron capital of the world.Always has been always will be, why transport heavy iron more than once?
So I explained.

Quote:
They are nothing when compared to their coated BBK rotors and such. I promise you they outsource them because there is only so much margin in a rotor.

OEM's outsource all the time to their specs, why wouldn't Brembo?

I'm just saying this from personal experience. CarQuest blanks held up better than these "Brembos". Don't look at the brand, look at the quality. OEM rotors are made by whoever bids the lowest, and they do just fine until you move up to a bigger caliper and such, plus their coated.
Then you proceeded to argue with me. Never did I say anything about the Zimmerman's. You decided to say something about the Brembos in quotes. You decided to argue that they are the best. I was never replying to you, as the OP linked to the Brembos on TireRack.

I'm not sure why you wanted me to reread this, so I quoted it so you could see what was up. You'll see that, in fact, I agreed with you about the coating, etc. The Zimmerman's come with the same coating as OEM. They may be OEM. Who knows.
Stocktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
DarkCloak
Banned

Quote:
Your response to the OP's link.

Here's where I was simply addressing my experience with the Brembos.

Then you came in here and acted like I shot someone.

So I explained.

Then you proceeded to argue with me. Never did I say anything about the Zimmerman's. You decided to say something about the Brembos in quotes. You decided to argue that they are the best. I was never replying to you, as the OP linked to the Brembos on TireRack.

I'm not sure why you wanted me to reread this, so I quoted it so you could see what was up. You'll see that, in fact, I agreed with you about the coating, etc. The Zimmerman's come with the same coating as OEM. They may be OEM. Who knows.
THE OEM DISCS ARE NOT COATED!!! that is why they get rust all over them.That is why if you go and walk through a VW dealer you will see rust on the brake discs of the vehicles that have been sitting, especially in a humid climate like yours. Once again you spew nonsense. Bye, have nice day you I am through speaking to you as you obviously have zero clue what you are talking about.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
Stocktastic
Formula 5000 Champion

Le sigh.

OEM:

Brembo:

OEM is coated. Brembo is not.

Rotors are going to rust where the friction material contacts them.

My OEM rotors are just now starting to show slight rusting on the hats. That's after 3 years and 33k miles AT THE BEACH.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
Stocktastic
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
You really are stupid.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...tors/ES257583/

Where in this link does it state they are coated other than in your own mind? No mention is made of them being coated because they are not. That is why the rim of the disc and the hat rusts. Provide evidence that they are coated and perhaps I may believe. Your credibility at this point is rather pathetic so it would take a lot of evidence to sway me.
I think I've proved my point.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #20
zVp
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 Black GTI (DSG)
dude darkcloak, why all the name calling and bashing? do you really need to make yourself better than stocktastic? calling him stupid, ignorant, saying your car will outperform his (lol insecure much?) wont really make your points credible. he gave you some info that he has found and sharing it.

even if you are right (honestly, i dont know, im not too knowledgable on brakes and etc.) being an outright ass and making yourself the all knowing expert isnt really needed.
zVp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #21
Bender
Banned

Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Quote:
All I'm saying is they were crap, and priced twice as high as a no name CarQuest rotor.
i found the same thing on my Volvo.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
the bruce
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Mk.V GTI
Quote:
You really are stupid.
Quote:
You sir are a blithering idiot.

bad day?

Quote:
OEM is coated. Brembo is not.
OEM aren't zink plated though, just "Geomet" coated. If you like try Google for more info.

On a side note, our 2nd Golf runs Brembo Max (= AP Xtreme) rotors (slotted and not available
in GTI dimensions). Stunningly they rust less than OEM (and MUCH less than my Tarox ).

BBS, Ferodo, H&R, OEM VW + TT, S3 & RS3 parts, aerodynamics
Sachs Performance, Supersprint, SuperPro, Tarox, Whiteline
PICS
the bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #23
Stocktastic
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bruce View Post
OEM aren't zink plated though, just "Geomet" coated. If you like try Google for more info.
Yeah, I know, I was never saying they were Zinc coated. It's basically like a corrosion resistant paint. The brembos have nothing, as they are bare iron.

Either way, coating or not, I prefer OEM over the brembos based solely on past experience.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #24
zVp
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 Black GTI (DSG)
Whoa - I know DarkCloak was being an ass, but I wasn't expecting a ban for it.
zVp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #25
jeppe777
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf GTI
DarkCloak should not have been banned, he was very helpful.
jeppe777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #26
GolfGTI12
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
He might just be playing with the band temporarily to cool off.
GolfGTI12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #27
DarkCloak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeppe777 View Post
DarkCloak should not have been banned, he was very helpful.
An even better and cost effective method is to by the plain rotors and purchase high temp paint. You can then paint the hats that connect to the rotors and the outer rims with the paint. This will keep these areas free from outside contaminants far better than any coating would. The faces of the dics will still rust but that will be of minor importance as each time you stop the pads will remove the rust that builds up on the face of the disc.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #28
DarkCloak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bruce View Post

bad day?

On a side note, our 2nd Golf runs Brembo Max (= AP Xtreme) rotors (slotted and not available
in GTI dimensions). Stunningly they rust less than OEM (and MUCH less than my Tarox ).
Oh, I googled it. No evidence of VW NA using a Geomet coating? I also contacted VW NA by telephone at their headquarters and spoke to a the local service department. Their response was that the discs have no significant coating and that they had never heard of GEOMET. Post a link, provide evidence and then you will be believed.

Good Bye. This concludes all DarkCloak postings in this thread. (Unless of course my deleted posts are restored, HA!)

P.S I never have bad days!