GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Volkswagen has best total quality"

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Not so sure I think that is correct at least not for my CW 2012 GTI. I picked it up on Super Bowl Sunday and I have had the car in the shop for rattles and clangs that showed up a month after I got it. Love the car just wish that the shop could get it fixed. Its been in the shop five times and still the issues are hanging around. I just want my car :(

Unplug Soundaktor...this made my cabin silent. True story.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Try to be in my shoes.. There is no way in hell i can do it again!! Yea hamilton was great, amazing, etc.. But i much rather be owning an out of warranty higher quality cars such as e92 m3 maybe in say 2-3 years..

Well yeah I wouldn't wish what you went through on ANYONE, my point was, a lot of potential buyers/google searchers land here on this forum, there's no need to bash a car/car maker just because of what 1 stoopid dealer did to your car...

out of warranty BWM...I think someone posted a link from an automag that did a story about how it's a bad idea, the gist was the repairs aren't cheap, there's nothing cool about owning a 9 year old car (if youre intune with the idea that buying a bmw is a status symbol) it's only cool if it's new, or an "old school" model...

The article was a bit harsh, almost as if the man just wanted to try to scare anyone and everyone off from it, making it sound like it's a no win scenario...

I think it can be good though, provided you get one that was well taken care of and won't have very many issues, otherewise, whomp whomp whomp...gl it though, M3's are awesome.

McQueen77

Banned
I had a 1997 318ti.. Best vehicle ever.. Treated me amazing.. Did breakdown couple of times but do i miss that thing everysingle day

BMW hasn't built a car like that in a long, long time. The old late 90s, early 2000s 3 series ran forever. That was right before they started to totally, totally over engineer them. A new 3 series and you are stepping into a world of a million things that can fail. I know quite a few long time Bimmer devotees who won't driving anything else, no matter what. Most of them advise that, if you buy a newer one, shell out the extra money for the BMW free maintenance program because it will pay for itself in spades. Otherwise, have a lot of extra cash. Just a brake job on those is insanity.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
BMW hasn't built a car like that in a long, long time. The old late 90s, early 2000s 3 series ran forever. That was right before they started to totally, totally over engineer them. A new 3 series and you are stepping into a world of a million things that can fail. I know quite a few long time Bimmer devotees who won't driving anything else, no matter what. Most of them advise that, if you buy a newer one, shell out the extra money for the BMW free maintenance program because it will pay for itself in spades. Otherwise, have a lot of extra cash. Just a brake job on those is insanity.

Hah just an oil change is!

McQueen77

Banned
Hah just an oil change is!

seriously. ive thought a lot about what the next car will be and really like the F30, like, a lot. but i would have to shell for the maintenance program. people don't get when they want a bimmer, that either you lease, or you buy and pay through the nose. lease and you don't worry about it. but after that 3 years is up and you have to start replacing maintenance items, it is soul crushingly expensive.

McQueen77

Banned

Shini

Go Kart Champion
seriously. ive thought a lot about what the next car will be and really like the F30, like, a lot. but i would have to shell for the maintenance program. people don't get when they want a bimmer, that either you lease, or you buy and pay through the nose. lease and you don't worry about it. but after that 3 years is up and you have to start replacing maintenance items, it is soul crushingly expensive.

Exactly. I've got a friend that has had lots of BMW's, 2 M3's, and 2 1 series...Due to his job being in BFE he can't lease, and he either pays a ridiculous high car payment because he has to finance it within the length of the warranty, or pay out the @$$ when the warranty is up and he still has to keep the car for a year or two...

Got so tired of it, he bought one of the new camaro's in 2011, burned through the warranty within a year and a half and here we are now, 2k miles outside his warranty, his cam's are all f'd up, first it was the fuel injectors, luckily that was warrantied, second was the cams, out of warranty, big time money repair bill...Chevy agreed to pay half after some belly acheing and idle threats...now he's gotten rid of it and is in a Chrysler 300 :yikes:

Uh...whew went off topic a bit there, moral of the story, american muscle cars can cost a chit load to repair, I don't even wanna think about luxury german cars.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
how many miles did you have on the Benz before it started really costing you

Even routine maint was ridiculous. I was at 52k miles and worried about out of warranty repairs. Gas mileage wasn't great either. 'twas time for more mpgs and a new car with warranty and cheaper cost to own.

barische

Go Kart Champion
I drove my 1997 318ti from 80k miles to 190k miles. Only things i had to shell out for was

2 water pumps
Various coolant pipes n hoses
Camshaft position sensor
Radiator
Belt
Pcv + hoses
Brakes
Rear shock mounts
Valve cover gasket leak - $45 only for gaskets which also i did

Icv clean, maf clean - for rough idle + spark plugs n coils

I would estimate maybe $2000 for all for the whole time i owned the car after my parents passed it to me... I even hit a deer which damaged right front side.. All that it required was headlight n turn signal n kept driving.. Boy do i miss that car. Should have just dropped a s52 engine in it n called it a day....

Mostly wear n tear but since i did em All didnt cost me that much