GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Exterior / Interior Care (washing, detailing, exterior repairs)

Old 09-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #29
DetailersDomain
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: AUDI S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by oSniper View Post
sorry, they're not actually dents.. they are valleys in the clear coat because I sanded too much in one specific area
any photos you can share, if you sanded too much you may need to respray the area.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #30
RATFINK
Autocross Newbie

Drives: TDI
Phil,
is there any pro to using a layer of wax on top of a paint sealant?
RATFINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #31
DetailersDomain
FIA GT Newbie

some believe using a carnauba paste wax will bring out more gloss in the paint.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #32
cantdrive55
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 VW GTI Sunroof & Nav
Send a message via AIM to cantdrive55
I've got a quick one. The rubber trim around my windows is starting to fade as well as the plastic trim under the doors and the exhaust valence. I've got 303 protectant which seems to do okay I guess but it doesn't seem to last too long and doesn't really darken the plastics. I've been reading about Adam's VRT would that do better?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #33
DetailersDomain
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrive55 View Post
I've got a quick one. The rubber trim around my windows is starting to fade as well as the plastic trim under the doors and the exhaust valence. I've got 303 protectant which seems to do okay I guess but it doesn't seem to last too long and doesn't really darken the plastics. I've been reading about Adam's VRT would that do better?
can you take a photo of it, as well have you cleaned the rubber trim prior to applying the 303?

as well have you cleaned the rear plastic valence prior to dressing?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #34
cantdrive55
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 VW GTI Sunroof & Nav
Send a message via AIM to cantdrive55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
can you take a photo of it, as well have you cleaned the rubber trim prior to applying the 303?

as well have you cleaned the rear plastic valence prior to dressing?
I'll take a picture tomorrow when its light out. And before I apply it I've always just washed it with my normal Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash. Should I clean it with something more than that?
Old 10-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #35
dbizzle22
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
I have a brand new candy white GTI that needs its first round of paint care. What do you recommend right off the bat?

The car is garaged now but spent about a year in a dealer lot that is located in a warm/hot area of California. So I believe it did get plenty of sun and possibly some bad dealer car washes. Paint looks pretty clean to me and I don't see any swirls yet. Paint isn't slick ( lack of wax? ) and very slight bumpiness from what I can tell. So I'm guessing a good wash, clay, and the some kind of product to finish it?

I prefer to do it all by hand. Actually have some Zaino product left over from a previous car that I might use too but I'm also fine with buying new products if something better has come along since then.
dbizzle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #36
DetailersDomain
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrive55 View Post
I'll take a picture tomorrow when its light out. And before I apply it I've always just washed it with my normal Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash. Should I clean it with something more than that?
ok
Old 10-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #37
DetailersDomain
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbizzle22 View Post
I have a brand new candy white GTI that needs its first round of paint care. What do you recommend right off the bat?

The car is garaged now but spent about a year in a dealer lot that is located in a warm/hot area of California. So I believe it did get plenty of sun and possibly some bad dealer car washes. Paint looks pretty clean to me and I don't see any swirls yet. Paint isn't slick ( lack of wax? ) and very slight bumpiness from what I can tell. So I'm guessing a good wash, clay, and the some kind of product to finish it?

I prefer to do it all by hand. Actually have some Zaino product left over from a previous car that I might use too but I'm also fine with buying new products if something better has come along since then.
this would be a great kit to start out with .

Adam's Essentials Kit.

There are videos please take a look.

The slick feel will be back after you clay the car.

Phil
Old 11-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #38
bkpr
Autocross Champion

Drives: '13 GTI in United Grey
Hey Phil. Quick question with some preamble:

I have completed my first exterior detail of my pretty new car. I have applied two coats of Tough Coat, with 12hrs in between to dry. The combination of clay bar + Auto Finesse Tough Coat make the surface feel like glass! Thanks for your product advice and quick shipping.

My question: now that I've detailed the car, what would you recommend as general washes in between detailings? Specifically, after I wash/dry the car would you leave it at that, or would you give it a quick hit with something like detail spray (or another product) to keep the shine on? With detail spray after a wash make any difference to the appearance of the paint?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #39
andy_uranium
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 mk6 GTI CW, 2004 Acura TSX
Phil what is your take on oil spraying for corrosion protection? A friend of mine who is a car collector swears by it, but I am not sure if it makes sense or may cause other issues. I want to keep the gti long term.
2011 CW GTI - DSG, Leather, LED R tails, OEM front lip, color matched side markers, red footwell leds, klii plaid vinyl accents, DG springs, Unibrace XB, UB and RB - OZ supertourismo LMs - Hankook V12 evo
andy_uranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #40
DetailersDomain
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkpr View Post
Hey Phil. Quick question with some preamble:

I have completed my first exterior detail of my pretty new car. I have applied two coats of Tough Coat, with 12hrs in between to dry. The combination of clay bar + Auto Finesse Tough Coat make the surface feel like glass! Thanks for your product advice and quick shipping.

My question: now that I've detailed the car, what would you recommend as general washes in between detailings? Specifically, after I wash/dry the car would you leave it at that, or would you give it a quick hit with something like detail spray (or another product) to keep the shine on? With detail spray after a wash make any difference to the appearance of the paint?

Thanks!
awesome post some photos I just did our 2 cars with Tough Coat and it looks amazing!

You can wash the car and dry it and maybe spritz a detail spray on it to keep it nice and shiny.

Phil
Old 11-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #41
DetailersDomain
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_uranium View Post
Phil what is your take on oil spraying for corrosion protection? A friend of mine who is a car collector swears by it, but I am not sure if it makes sense or may cause other issues. I want to keep the gti long term.
I'm not familiar with it.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #42
andy_uranium
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 mk6 GTI CW, 2004 Acura TSX
He mentioned that isn't very common in the states.
http://www.oilgard.com/
There is a video series that shows the process.
2011 CW GTI - DSG, Leather, LED R tails, OEM front lip, color matched side markers, red footwell leds, klii plaid vinyl accents, DG springs, Unibrace XB, UB and RB - OZ supertourismo LMs - Hankook V12 evo
andy_uranium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto detailing, detailersdomain, detailing, paint correction