GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SRE Clutch - Sachs OEM+ Clutch Review - The real alternative for tunned GTIs!

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Damn that's an expensive clutch :yikes:. But if the experience is significantly more like stock (I'm all about OEM+) I might wait to get one. Or, GB?

Sent via TapaTalk, butchered by autocorrect

OldDirty

Ready to race!
If it doesn't have chatter and the dreaded Southbend QC and customer service problems....it's well worth the few hundred dollars extra in my mind.

I'm very interested in the chatter report.

Halvie

WOOSA
Was looking at these the other week. Nothing for the power levels I am hoping I'll need. Went Southbend stage 4. No harder to drive than the stage 3 endurance which is nice.

JewFro

Ready to race!
You referring to the disk or the SACHS unit?

Sorry - was referring to the SACHS unit. Seems like the SB disk good for K04 power levels but nothing beyond that because the pressure plate becomes the limiting factor at that point, correct?

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
To clarify, this is the exact clutch kit I ordered:

SRE Performance Clutch Kit + One Mass Flywheel
[883089.000046]
Complete kit with lightened one mass flywheel (7.2kg) Transmittable Torque 530+Nm

One important thing to notice is the + sign after the torque rating figure. The general agreement is that these SRE clutches are rated to 1.5 times the conservative rating. Therefore, the clutch should hold pretty much hold whatever you throw at it unless you dump the clutch regularly...

Where is the 1.5 times the rating factor stated? Curious for piece of mind. Im a fan of this set up if that is true.

A_Bowers

Sorry - was referring to the SACHS unit. Seems like the SB disk good for K04 power levels but nothing beyond that because the pressure plate becomes the limiting factor at that point, correct?

That is my understanding. K04 power has been tested..not sure about Stage 3.....IF i win the raffle at the APR BBQ this weekend, ill let you know how it holds up :D

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
While everyone was talking about about uprated clutches, I did a lot of listening. The popular choices seem to be Southbend, Clutchmasters and some people have Bully Clutches.

The painted style pressure plate most manufacturers use is not necessarily confidence inspiring, and may members seem to have gone through some horrible experiences with clutch jobs, so much so that many are deterred from chipping their cars because of these happenings.

I then directed my attention to Sachs the Oem manufacturer of our "weak" clutches, and discovered their SRE division. Others have pointed to them before, but none that I know of were looking to bite and be the first to have it on their car.

From the S3 forum

And some pictures of what went in:

IMG_4435 by tudorior, on Flickr

That appears to be the same exact pressure plate that everyone else uses, and paints their own color. These companies don't make their own products, they take oem SACHS pressure plates and hub assemblies, and put their own friction materials on. Sometimes the center hubs on the disk are different, but they are still SACHS parts in the end. That first clutchmasters picture looks exactly like my Southbend.. except my pressure plate and center hub are both red

Southbend:

Clutchmasters:

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
They use a sachs pressure plate. That isn't what fails.

It's the center hub on the disk that fails.

My SB review thread was very specific about the shortcomings of the non-silent design.

The cheap clutchnet hubs that SB, CM & etc use on their disks are all just ticking time bombs for failure.

Dave

SRE is the Sach's performance division. I prefer to know that they know what they are doing, since they have at least the same development resources as OEM.

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
From the vortex, warning of carnagehttp://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4334361/page8
Here is a nice comparision pic for the ARCHIVES
Remember when you geek ass vortex friend says that his car have been fine for years and years with his cool painted crap plate.

Yes .... when you have a 200tq K03 , Gt28 whatever equiped 1.6-1.8 litre engine they will be fine.

The OEM will even be fine

OEM sachs mod plate that ALL f!"¤% aftermarket companies use.
Its a DEADLY tool that have almost killed 5 vortexers.

Our team have killed 3 plates for 3 different cars , 3 different drivers , 3 different styles of cars in one week.
one drag , one street and one daily driven car.
All far under the 495tq that they claim to hold.

And at the same time i want to warn you about alu flywheels.
The bolts acctually RIP RIGHT OUT when the rivets go.
A steel FW and the clutch would just have slipped

The damage is horrifying.

Compare this.

Plate 1: aftermarket 495tq plate.
Thin casing , thin cast oem disc surface , crap OEM or china,brazilian,russian rivets
ITS UNBALANCED

They bend , heat and add some sort of ring under the OEM 240mm plate.

rivet gone

Plate 2
SACHS race 450tq plate

MUCH thicker
Much better springs
Supperior disc surface
Its factory balanced

Team members car.

its a 10 000$ DRP box
This one is rated 496ft/lb and car had maximum of 440ft/lb
Just like what happend to Frankies stuff also.

The modified OEM covers are a bit unpredictable.

Modified by foffa2002@home at 3:07 AM 9-18-2009

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
1.5x safety factor is not multiplied to the torque holding rating but the engine output. I'll elaborate when I get back to a computer.

Sent via TapaTalk, butchered by autocorrect

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Complete kit with lightened one mass flywheel (7.2kg) Transmittable Torque 530+Nm

One important thing to notice is the + sign after the torque rating figure. The general agreement is that these SRE clutches are rated to 1.5 times the conservative rating. Therefore, the clutch should hold pretty much hold whatever you throw at it unless you dump the clutch regularly...

SRE products are always quoted as having conservative figures. Wouldn't you rather a manufacturer under quote than over quote. I know that normal Sachs clutch kits (OEM + Aftermarket) have a safety factor of 1.5 x the engine output as standard.

How do i know this?? i work for them as a technical support technician, carrying out day to day warranty testing, reports and also technical training on clutch, DMF, suspension etc etc.

I'd be interested to know more about the OP's findings etc if/when the clutch gets dropped out.
Regards
Daniel

What I hear here is that while SRE underquotes their torque holding figures, it is not as OP said that there is an additional 50% holding torque above the specified 580 Nm rating (which would be 870 Nm). What Daniel is saying is that they match their clutches to engines such that there is a 50% headroom above engine output in torque holding capability.

This is not going to deter me from the SRE option personally, just trying to get the language straight here so there are no misconceptions. :thumbsup: