GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SRE Clutch - Sachs OEM+ Clutch Review - The real alternative for tunned GTIs!

Stigar

Ready to race!
So it seems you almost have to pick the beast parts from all the different clutch companies to get one that chinga our clutch kits. I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do with a clutch and I might regret it later. Looks like I'm gonna have to go on a fact finding mission and do several different clutches over the next 8 months and give a full report on which is crap and which isn't.

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Not sure what you mean...

The obvious choice here is what VW uses for it's racing efforts.

http://www.volkswagen-motorsport.com/web/news/index.php?&flash=no&lg=e&st=576&id=4536

And yes that car has a sequential gearbox and 4wd and a turbocharged 2.5.

Nevertheless, pretty obvious whom vw trusts with their high bhp cars

Last edited:

webcrawlr

Ready to race!
Hey carsfeverguy, hows the noise now? Have you had anyone with a stock clutch check yours out to see if they feel the same way you do?

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
The meets here in toronto have dwindled down due to cold weather... so no one else has heard or experienced my setup... That said, I have only had it for less then a month, so it's not like I have forgotten how the stock clutch felt.

There are no added vibrations in the cabin, like I said, there is a very limited audible feedback when at idle(my turbo blanket added that) and when the ac is on it is just a tinny bit louder. 1/4 volume(pretty low on the dynaudio) completely covers that up, but all be told, I find that it adds another character dimension to the car experience.

On the weekend I drove for 2 days a well running mk4 jetta TDI. and my wife mentioned that that my car is really refined and silent compared to that.

Again, no chatter or noise while the car is moving.
The car has a cool little extra sound attribute when leaving from a standstill, reminding you it is not a stock clutch. I like it.

And yes gear noises are present when decelerating, because racekar :p

As soon as I'll get to meet with some forum members who drive manual/southbend clutches, I'll bring it to their attention to make their own comments on this thread.

I know lots of folks are curious/ worried, just ding my part to help the community.

mg_90

Thanks for the review and the video! :w00t:

My clutch just started slipping in the 104 octane map one month ago, and yesterday also in the 98 octane map only 16000km after the APR Stage 1...

Some friends used just the Sachs pressure plate and clucth disc, but now the DMF is starting to make noise, thats why I wanted to hear some feedback of this Sachs kit, now I´m 100% convinced.

speed4568

Ready to race!
sounds good

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
Nice, i bet this is a solid option. Can you take a vid of the chatter outside of the car? I can't hear any chatter at all in those vids. That's either a good thing, or the phone just isn't catching it.

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Well the phone is an iPhone 5... When playing the video of where I play with the radio and AC to compare the chatter level, you should play it in HD and you should turn the sound all the way up. I can hear it on my system... Then again, I have to say that it is pretty inoffensive.

Around the engine bay, I don't hear any chatter with AC off but the Direct Injection taca taca taca noise is the prevalent thing.

webcrawlr

Ready to race!
Some friends used just the Sachs pressure plate and clucth disc, but now the DMF is starting to make noise, thats why I wanted to hear some feedback of this Sachs kit, now I´m 100% convinced.
Do you have any idea how long they used the SRE pressure plate and clutch disc combo before the OEM DMF started to make noise? Do you know the power level of those cars?

mg_90

Do you have any idea how long they used the SRE pressure plate and clutch disc combo before the OEM DMF started to make noise? Do you know the power level of those cars?

One of these cars is a 2.0 TSI Scirocco with 278PS and 423Nm with around 30k miles on the stock DMF and with the Sachs pressure plate and clutch disk since last January.

The other is also a 2.0 TSI Scirocco with a K04 and Revo software, the owner is a member of this forum, and has about 37k miles on the ODO, but I know this one is used very very hard, it has now the stock pressure plate, disc and DMF but with a Leon Cupra R gearbox. About the power I would say around 380PS from some test with similar powered cars... :D

Hope this helps.