GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MkVI GTI Vs. Genesis Coupe 2.0T Spec R

terror_dactl

Looking for a new car, as I have just spent a year in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.The GTI is what I am really lusting over at the moment, but after owning a MkIV Golf for about 4 years, and experiencing some of those problems I'm having second thoughts. Although, I have heard that VW has ironed out a lot of it's problems regarding reliablity. Anyhow, Im scheduled to test drive both of these cars in a couple of days, and that will give me a better prospective on what I want. As of right now, the GTI wins hands down in the looks and interior department, but friggin Hyundai is giving away a 10 year unlimited mile warranty away with this car, and that would give me a huge peace of mind. What do you guys think?

CadMan

Ready to race!
The Genisis Coupe was one of the cars I was considering but I felt that the GTI was a better all round choice for the money. I love RWD cars and the Genisis 2.0 GT (track) was loads of fun to tool around in. As an everyday vehicle having to get me to work in T.O. traffic plus having a daughter who requires me to get her and her cello to the bus stop it could not work. The trunk and back seats are cosmetic at best and being 6'-5" I also had issues with interior room and visibility on the coupe.
The GTI on the other hand is the bomb :thumbsup: to drive and I have about 3" of headroom clearance and I can put a dishwasher in the hatch if I needed to.
(Friend at work did this in his MKV)

The GTI meets my needs and wants yours may be different.
If warranty is a concern you could always get the VW 5 star later if you need it. :confused: It's a bit pricey but you would know by then whether you need it or not.

terror_dactl

I agree about the space, and I didn't quite like the boy racer looks. Off hand do you remember how much the VW 5-Star warranty is?

elbles

Passed Driver's Ed
I was also considering the Genesis 2.0T, largely because I'm a huge RWD fan, and the overall concept of the Genesis Coupe reminded me a lot of my first car (a Nissan 240SX). I had high hopes for the GC, but the test drive was a huge letdown:

1. The car I test drove was a 2.0T with an automatic. I would've preferred to drive a stick model, of course, but it's all the dealer had. The engine was terrible, and I'd go as far to say that it wasn't much smoother or more refined than the 2.4 liter truck motor I had in my 240 (albeit more powerful). I'm sure the car was fairly fast, but it didn't feel fast. The automatic wasn't my cup of tea either, but from what I've heard, the clutch and shifter combo isn't anything to write home about either.

2. The interior was extremely disappointing, especially when comparing it to Hyundai's own friggin' Genesis sedan (whose interior is done worlds better than the price differential would indicate). I can see how it might appeal to the boy racer crowd some, but even there, I doubt many would prefer it to the GTI's. You'd have to be nuts too, in my book.

3. As far as handling goes, the GTI just felt more fun and exciting to me, and perhaps even more balanced (i.e., less understeer in steady-state cornering). Definitely a surprise for me, especially considering that I've never owned a FWD car because of the generally high levels of understeer.

If I were to consider a GC at all, I'd look at the V6 model, but that's just me. And if I were to go that far, I think I'd find a few extra thousand to consider the 370Z. But what I really want is a car more in the mold of the 240SX, which is what I'm hoping the FT86 will be, if and when it comes out. The GTI will more than suffice until that times comes. :D

In short, I'd definitely go GTI over the 2.0T GC, even with the reliability concerns of the VW in mind...

jgs5607

Ready to race!
For the price difference, the V6 over the 2.0T is a no brainer. Stay away from the Track model unless you like getting beat up in your daily driver.

For a first ever RWD Coupe, they did a really good job with this car. They also know how to do a really nice interior (witness the sedan), they just made the cost choices on this car balanced on sport.

I needed a usable back seat (had leg room but no head room; you pay for the swoopy style) so that took it off my list for now.

At the rate they have been improving their cars, the next gen or even update should be really interesting and keep other manufacturers on their toes.

Maxim1

For the price difference, the V6 over the 2.0T is a no brainer. Stay away from the Track model unless you like getting beat up in your daily driver.

For a first ever RWD Coupe, they did a really good job with this car. They also know how to do a really nice interior (witness the sedan), they just made the cost choices on this car balanced on sport.

I needed a usable back seat (had leg room but no head room; you pay for the swoopy style) so that took it off my list for now.

At the rate they have been improving their cars, the next gen or even update should be really interesting and keep other manufacturers on their toes.

I'm hoping that they don't try to continue to compete against the Mustang. They partially had it in their crosshairs with this initial release.

Now the mustang outhandles it and vastly outaccelerates it. Even the V-6 mustang is faster now. It's carved a niche that nobody is in the position to fill as of now. I'm hoping that hyundai decides to focus more on getting the car to handle even better, and maybe just giving it a new exhaust system that isn't so restrictive in the upper rev range. Because honestly, if they try to compete with the Mustang on it's own turf...they're going to lose.

The V-6 Genesis coupe suffers from a lack of low end torque and an anemic high-end feel. That's definitely a breathing issue. They also need a better manual transmission.

The Genesis chassis should be able to handle significantly better than the mustangs...with proper development. It also enjoys a weight advantage. I hope that Hyundai just refines the engine, maybe getting 330hp, while working hard to make it handle even more like a sports car. They should avoid the horsepower race....because they'll lose. It'd just make the car front heavy.

On-Topic:

I'd go for the GTI. Well, actually, I DID go for the GTI. I test drove both. I actually took the GTI over the V6 Coupe.

JCS-2.0T

Ready to race!
The bottom line is that one is a VW and the other is a Hyundai. I don't care what kind of warranty is on that piece, I would not drive one.

I know they have made great strides in their quality and design over the last few years, but I can't get past the brand - to me it is still synonomous with Asian shitbox.

Get the German car tuned with ages and ages of German engineering and experience and be glad you did.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
The only plus I see in the GC is the RWD. Everything else is a negative compared to GTI.