GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 02-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #1527
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardnese View Post
How long are the timing chains supposed to last on the mk6 engines? i have a '11 gti and just had my timing chain tensioner/chain/guides/cover replaced but im thinking that the timing chains should be a lifetime part.
I wouldn't trust the chains past 120k miles. They stretch too much.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:19 PM   #1528
OEMPL+S
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 11' A3 T Quattro ScubaBlue
2011 A3 ccta here .... Did my whole timing system and water pump and carbon clean at 160000 km .... I had the old tensioner .... Thankfully somehow the tensioner didn't let go ....

How come we even need to do the timing system on these engines .... with most modern 2.0T engines, it's not even a factor in maintenance .... I think VW group parts department is a big income part of the business .... Speaking from experience ....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
OEMPL+S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #1529
NYCSuits
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 GTI, '16 GSW SE LP/DP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMPL+S View Post
2011 A3 ccta here .... Did my whole timing system and water pump and carbon clean at 160000 km .... I had the old tensioner .... Thankfully somehow the tensioner didn't let go ....

How come we even need to do the timing system on these engines .... with most modern 2.0T engines, it's not even a factor in maintenance .... I think VW group parts department is a big income part of the business .... Speaking from experience ....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly. When I had my car towed in, the two service advisor and the mechanic who worked on my car, all commented on how clean my car is for 134k miles. I don't doubt for a second they sized me up right there and knew I was going to put up the cash to have the car fixed, rather than walking across the building and into the showroom to buy a brand new car from them with a 84 month loan or whatever.

I've had too many bad experiences with VW services (yet VW sales have been amazing experiences) to immediately trust the people behind the counter. Although, I must say...this VW service I recently had for the timing chain/intake cam replacement was spot on.
Akrapovic | REVO | RNS510 Rev-Q | OEM Euro Cup Holder | OEM Euro Power Folding Mirrors | OEM Euro Mirrors | OEM Golf R Mirror Caps | OEM RLS Windshield | OEM RLS | OEM Dimming Mirror | OEM DG Springs | OEM LED Tails | OEM Dash Cubby | ECS CF Intake | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport | SPM RSB | 17" OEM Goals | 18" OEM VW Motorsport | 18" OEM Detroit | OEM+ | OEM Match Markers | OEM Lip Spoiler | 50% llumar | WeatherTech| Vagcom
NYCSuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:25 PM   #1530
A.SMK6
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 GTI Autobahn (DSG)
My 2011 GTI has the old tensioner with about 59,600 miles on it and I'm going to get all the timing components checked out this Wednesday. Car has been running extremely rough lately (thinking it may be due to carbon buildup), but I'm going to have them check and see whether the chain has stretched. I'm hoping I can get away with just doing the tensioner, because I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep the car. I'd rather not drop 2k on the entire assembly if I don't have to.
A.SMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #1531
avni
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: MK6
I've always read about this, but thought I was in the clear..

am i?

I have a 2013 GTI.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #1532
CHerna
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 DBP GTI 2 Door M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by avni View Post
I've always read about this, but thought I was in the clear..

am i?

I have a 2013 GTI.
For tensioner, yes. Your car has the revised version.
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #1533
PhthaloType
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI
I went though this entire thread and compiled every report of members' tensioner versions. Missing build dates are simply due to members not including that data. Every model year '10-11 is old-style (except that one with a new motor), and every '14 is new-style, so I excluded those years. I guess I could have just excluded '13, as well.

Here's another version that only includes reports with build dates:

I wish I had more data points for the MY12s with the old style tensioner. Not many build dates were reported for those. It seems pretty clear that the transition point was 9/11, but that's only based on three reported build dates of old-style MY12s.

I really don't know what was up with that one errant 2/12 one. In retrospect I should have included a column for member username, but I'm not about to go back and do it all over.
PhthaloType is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #1534
CHerna
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 DBP GTI 2 Door M/T
Awesome work man. I'll get my build date so you have the info.
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:25 AM   #1535
jettaglis
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '88 gli, '11 cc, '12 gti
All 3 of my tsi's
2010 Tiguan Production Date: 2009-09-03 old tensioner (obliviously)
2011 Cc Production Date: 2010-06-11 old tensioner
2012 Gti Production Date: 2011-06-17 old tensioner

The Gti jumped 1 tooth on the exhaust cam around 110k miles, lucked out and no damage done. The Cc was done preventive and the Tiguan is still on the original.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #1536
tofuD01
Oval Newbie

Drives: VW Golf Mk6 Gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterkrazzy View Post
I had a bad experience with a chain on my last car, a 2001 gti vr6. I was going about 5 mph and just barely tapped the gas, and then I lost all power like a coilpack went out. I even drove it home like that. Turns out I stretched the chain and broke a couple teeth on the sprocket, somehow that's all the damage I did. Everybody always said the chain was a job to be done at 120k, and this happened to me at 111k. I'm glad they use a chain and not a belt, but I still wouldn't trust the chains beyond 120k.
I had the tensioner etc replaced around 55k miles, would you say it would last the life of the car from now or its best to replace it again at some point?
2010 GTi DSG || APR ECU Stage 2 v2.4 | TCU v1.6 || APR Downpipe || Pipercross Intake || Soundaktor Delete || VWR Springs w/ TT struts || 034Motorsport Dogbone Mount Insert || GFB DV+ w/ main spring || GY Eagle F1 A3 (fronts) || 'R8' Coilpacks + BKR7EIX (0.025") || Vibrant bottle resonator / stock catback || New engine at 63.5k miles..
tofuD01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #1537
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhthaloType View Post
I went though this entire thread and compiled every report of members' tensioner versions. Missing build dates are simply due to members not including that data. Every model year '10-11 is old-style (except that one with a new motor), and every '14 is new-style, so I excluded those years. I guess I could have just excluded '13, as well.

Here's another version that only includes reports with build dates:

I wish I had more data points for the MY12s with the old style tensioner. Not many build dates were reported for those. It seems pretty clear that the transition point was 9/11, but that's only based on three reported build dates of old-style MY12s.

I really don't know what was up with that one errant 2/12 one. In retrospect I should have included a column for member username, but I'm not about to go back and do it all over.
Thanks for compiling this!
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #1538
Tony48
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuD01 View Post
I had the tensioner etc replaced around 55k miles, would you say it would last the life of the car from now or its best to replace it again at some point?
If you updated the tensioner to the newest revision your next weak link is the chain itself. The old version has been known to stretch pretty bad by 100k miles. However, when I changed my cam chain at 105k I didn't have any significant stretch. Was your cam chain updated to the revised version (part #06K109158AD)? In the below pic the updated version is on the right (installed on the cam) and the old version is on the left in my hand.

IMG_20171225_151821 by Tony G, on Flickr
Old 03-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #1539
Prescription_Bandit
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI MK6
My 2013 gti was assembled 6/12...so I guess you can mark me down as having the new tensioner? Thanks for posting this, been wondering if i was in the clear. Guess I'll be holding onto my mk6 awhile longer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2013 Candy White GTI MK6|DSG| 18 Inch Laguna Rims|| Convenience Package||Mods: Injen Short-Ram Intake, Unitronic Stage 2 Tune, Unitronic 3' DP, Beluga Racing Catback Exhaust, Audi R8 Coilpacks, New South Boost Gauge|| Eurobadged.

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara TJ
Prescription_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:07 AM   #1540
tofuD01
Oval Newbie

Drives: VW Golf Mk6 Gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post
If you updated the tensioner to the newest revision your next weak link is the chain itself. The old version has been known to stretch pretty bad by 100k miles. However, when I changed my cam chain at 105k I didn't have any significant stretch. Was your cam chain updated to the revised version (part #06K109158AD)? In the below pic the updated version is on the right (installed on the cam) and the old version is on the left in my hand.

IMG_20171225_151821 by Tony G, on Flickr
Think I've had the whole thing done, camshaft bridge snapped and that got replaced too. This mean is good for lifetime or expect to change again in X miles?
2010 GTi DSG || APR ECU Stage 2 v2.4 | TCU v1.6 || APR Downpipe || Pipercross Intake || Soundaktor Delete || VWR Springs w/ TT struts || 034Motorsport Dogbone Mount Insert || GFB DV+ w/ main spring || GY Eagle F1 A3 (fronts) || 'R8' Coilpacks + BKR7EIX (0.025") || Vibrant bottle resonator / stock catback || New engine at 63.5k miles..
tofuD01 is offline   Reply With Quote