GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
AngstyPotato
Ready to race!
 
AngstyPotato's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 MK6 GTI 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 20
Rattling Noise

I scraped pretty hard on a rock in PA.

Any ideas on what this sound may be?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_7X...ature=youtu.be

Usually only happens when the car is cold and you first take off or on a hill, etc.
AngstyPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #2
Rubba
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Rubba's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf 2.5
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Home
Posts: 11
As this sound comes when you turn and accelerate i guess it's the cv axle
Rubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 09 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 686
check your dogbone mount.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
MLue1
FIA GT Champion
 
Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: ON your tail with my slow a$$ 2.5
Posts: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubba View Post
As this sound comes when you turn and accelerate i guess it's the cv axle
Loose Heat Shield perhaps ???

We have one of the heat shields corroded where it bolts on over the rear suitcase muffler. It is resting on the suitcase muffler so it vibrates and resonates making the muffler sound loader than it is.

Easy fix but too lazy, then forgot to fix it. I was intending to use the Othey Fixme sticks that sells in the plumbing dept. at Home Depot to fix leaks. Essentially it is epoxy in a putty form, just use a knife to cut a bit off, roll it around like play dough for a minute and mold it to fit around a bolt head or something else and in 5 minutes it's as hard as rock, heat and water resistant as well.

Last edited by MLue1; 07-17-2018 at 07:28 PM.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Rubba
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Rubba's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf 2.5
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Home
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Loose Heat Shield perhaps ???

We have one of the heat shields corroded where it bolts on over the rear suitcase muffler. It is resting on the suitcase muffler so it vibrates and resonates making the muffler sound loader than it is.

Easy fix but too lazy, then forgot to fix it. I was intending to use the Othey Fixme sticks that sells in the plumbing dept. at Home Depot to fix leaks. Essentially it is epoxy in a putty form, just use a knife to cut a bit off, roll it around like play dough for a minute and mold it to fit around a bolt head or something else and in 5 minutes it's as hard as rock, heat and water resistant as well.

Lol that's what i call a solution!
But in this case the sound should be knocking since the shield is loose and hitting under the body. also it should keep knocking as the car keep moving and if you take a look at the video the sound comes only for a second. But one of the ways to find out if OP accelerate in straight so we know if it's the cv axle or not.
Rubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #6
AngstyPotato
Ready to race!
 
AngstyPotato's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 MK6 GTI 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubba View Post
Lol that's what i call a solution!
But in this case the sound should be knocking since the shield is loose and hitting under the body. also it should keep knocking as the car keep moving and if you take a look at the video the sound comes only for a second. But one of the ways to find out if OP accelerate in straight so we know if it's the cv axle or not.
the sound only lasts as long as i recorded it for, and it goes away once the car is warm really. also only happens when taking off from a stop

if i have more weight in the car, or going up a hill its a bit louder
__________________
2011 MK6 GTI 6MT | APR Stage II ECU | APR Carbonio Intake | RSR Clutch | APR Downpipe | Magnaflow CBE | R8 Coils | Alzor 010 | ECS Slotted Rotors | EBC RedStuff Pads | Smoked Side Markers | PIAA Ion Yellow Fogs
AngstyPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
Rubba
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Rubba's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf 2.5
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Home
Posts: 11
The part when car is cold is most likely related to the engine like engine bearing failure (rod bearing) or carbon buildup on the crown of the piston. And the part when car is loaded with weight or going up a hill sounds like wheel bearing because the load is being put on that area/part.
Could you take a closer look and look where the noise is coming from?
Rubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #8
pandes
Newbie
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: spain
Posts: 1
subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
pandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:48 PM   #9
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 995
Does it only do it when you turn the steering wheel?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #10
AngstyPotato
Ready to race!
 
AngstyPotato's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 MK6 GTI 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
Does it only do it when you turn the steering wheel?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope, wheel doesnt make a difference
__________________
2011 MK6 GTI 6MT | APR Stage II ECU | APR Carbonio Intake | RSR Clutch | APR Downpipe | Magnaflow CBE | R8 Coils | Alzor 010 | ECS Slotted Rotors | EBC RedStuff Pads | Smoked Side Markers | PIAA Ion Yellow Fogs
AngstyPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:44 PM   #11
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 09 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 686
I have a feeling it's something mount related just because you said its worse at cold starts or starting off when there's much more vibration in the drivetrain and you said you scraped a big rock.. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some related to the dogbone or around the subframe where the mount is. Just inspect under the car.

I doubt its CV related or engine damage related like mentioned above
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.