GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 08-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #57
mikejsmith1985
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 Candy White GTI Autobahn
The majority of the cost of my setup was the rear calipers. I got the whole set of Touareg brembos for $800 but it was nearly another $400 for the viper calipers. I'll post my whole price list up. Hardware was a few hundred some of which could have been saved knowing what I know now. I didn't have to buy the exact specs provided to me also. I bought some wrong hardware in there too that I ate the cost of...

Rear bbk is expensive off the shelf too though. I'm still ahead monetarily to replace all 4 corners but an off the shelf kit would have been less headache!

So here is my entire build sheet, its not shown here but the spacers I bought were sold to recover some of the $$. I do believe everything performance wise I've done to the car is here interior/cosmetic isn't shown.

Found a few problems with the original build sheet so I'm happy to say that I overstated my spending on the brake job by about $1000 as you can see above with the corrected sheet I'm not quite to $6k with the tune.

Last edited by mikejsmith1985; 08-08-2014 at 07:09 PM.
mikejsmith1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #58
penance
Autocross Champion

Drives: Fakinsupa
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejsmith1985 View Post
in addition to some fabrication for the ebrake cable as the filler neck is in the way on mk6 for the original location on the viper caliper, and the cable goes into the caliper at a 90* bend which is bad anyway.
I snapped one of my ebrake cables the other week. Been procrastinating on having the replacements installed. Less than ideal setup in that sense
penance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #59
mikejsmith1985
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by penance View Post
I snapped one of my ebrake cables the other week. Been procrastinating on having the replacements installed. Less than ideal setup in that sense
I could send you some pictures of the brackets I made if you don't want to run that same setup again?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #60
penance
Autocross Champion

Drives: Fakinsupa
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejsmith1985 View Post
I could send you some pictures of the brackets I made if you don't want to run that same setup again?
Yeah, that would be . Been thinking about having a bracket modded. I will pm you my email.

Does your bracket allow the caliper to clamp down any harder? The original way, was just barely clamping for me.
penance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #61
mikejsmith1985
Formula 5000 Driver

Working out adjustments still I'm not impressed with clamping force but I'll get you some pics.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #62
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
Finished tinkering for tonight. Happy Clown so far.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #63
ssilver88
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 2DR CSG GTI
If it fits, works and improves pedal feel this will be included when I piece together an 18z BBK
Old 08-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #64
iGTI
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: A car with round vents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownish View Post
Finished tinkering for tonight. Happy Clown so far.

Did you change the master cylinder?

S3 16'
STG 1+ Sold
iGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:32 AM   #65
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Yes sir.

Master cylinder from the TTS, which is the same part as the RS3 - the 3 different cars all use different brake fluid reservoirs but fortunately we could fit that without problems. Used the old GTI gaskets which I would want to replace eventually - prefer to use new items on things like that. Anyways for the purposes of testing..

Installed, bled the system twice, tested. Instant results. Pedal travel/feel feels like what I thought it should feel like after installing a BBK. Happy so far, need to do some testing though. Full pedal travel actually feels like you can tell the difference... the travel hits correctly - feels as tight as what I would want and pedal travel is all the way down. Too late to do anything really to do any real testing though. Pictures and such later.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:12 AM   #66
ssilver88
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownish View Post
Yes sir.

Master cylinder from the TTS, which is the same part as the RS3 - the 3 different cars all use different brake fluid reservoirs but fortunately we could fit that without problems. Used the old GTI gaskets which I would want to replace eventually - prefer to use new items on things like that. Anyways for the purposes of testing..

Installed, bled the system twice, tested. Instant results. Pedal travel/feel feels like what I thought it should feel like after installing a BBK. Happy so far, need to do some testing though. Full pedal travel actually feels like you can tell the difference... the travel hits correctly - feels as tight as what I would want and pedal travel is all the way down. Too late to do anything really to do any real testing though. Pictures and such later.
Sweet
Old 08-09-2014, 01:57 AM   #67
Trnado_2.5
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: A3 Quattro
So, you didn't need to change the brake booster? The ttrs mc fit right onto the factory gti booster?
Trnado_2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:59 AM   #68
ssilver88
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnado_2.5 View Post
So, you didn't need to change the brake booster? The ttrs mc fit right onto the factory gti booster?
He only swapped his MC to the TTS/RS3 version. Still GTI brake booster from what I understand.

I'm still looking forward to the RS3 booster and TTRS MC swap.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:02 AM   #69
Trnado_2.5
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: A3 Quattro
Yea that was going to be my next question lol. If the upgraded booster would make a difference in pedal feel combined with the master cylinder. If it is indeed an upgrade.
Trnado_2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:30 AM   #70
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Did not need the booster at all in terms of fitment. Pedal feel is vastly improved.