GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 12-27-2012, 02:56 AM   #29
littleazn248
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: Audi SQ5/ F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliciousMK6 View Post
Great mod, i heard the 4 and 6 pot Toureg brakes fit as well. great priced brake upgrades is a closely guarded secret!
Yes the touareg calipers fit. They are the same as the cayenne six pot brembos but, are overkill imho. I think the Boxster 4pots are the most reasonable for this car. But then again I'm not speaking from experience and you guys do some crazy things.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:01 AM   #30
GTI_likeurmom
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: Veyron 16.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleazn248 View Post
Yes the touareg calipers fit. They are the same as the cayenne six pot brembos but, are overkill imho. I think the Boxster 4pots are the most reasonable for this car. But then again I'm not speaking from experience and you guys do some crazy things.
i love my 6 pots i get amazing braking power.
I cut the tether off. When I get to the pump, I remove the cap and chuck it into the nearest bush, patch of trees, or some sort of wet lands. I pump gas. Then I spend anywhere from 5 to 165 minutes retrieving the cap. I screw it back on and drive away. I'm not letting it dangle against the paint and I don't know any better way.
GTI_likeurmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:16 AM   #31
littleazn248
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
How are those endos lmfao.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #32
MaliciousMK6
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2011 Tornado Red 2Dr 6MT GTI
Quote:
I went through your build thread earlier, I didn't realize those for 6pot they are beastly!
MaliciousMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:06 AM   #33
GTI_likeurmom
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: Veyron 16.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleazn248 View Post
How are those endos lmfao.
its not like that. no endos. i still have yet to upgrade the rears. moar braking!!!!!huhahahha.
I cut the tether off. When I get to the pump, I remove the cap and chuck it into the nearest bush, patch of trees, or some sort of wet lands. I pump gas. Then I spend anywhere from 5 to 165 minutes retrieving the cap. I screw it back on and drive away. I'm not letting it dangle against the paint and I don't know any better way.
GTI_likeurmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:11 AM   #34
littleazn248
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
its not like that. no endos. i still have yet to upgrade the rears. moar braking!!!!!huhahahha.
Craziness
Old 12-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #35
tman
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: around randomly looking for GTI's
Just what I was looking for!! Thanks!

2012 Golf GTI 'Serron' (UG)
tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #36
quality_sound
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '13 4-door Golf TDI
Doesn't ECS stock a caliper carrier? EVOMS used to as well. I haven't looked in a while. It's a great upgrade. I did it on my last Passat and it's noticeable to say the least.
quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #37
quality_sound

Drives: '13 4-door Golf TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
Good luck with the Install. These have been awesome on my car..
5.5 pounds lighter per side too which is a difference you can feel..

You will need the Porsche Vibration dampers as well (not cheap) as this set-up is naturally noisy

Pics and install: http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/gt...brembo-brakes/

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but how are you feeling the weight difference? I know it's technically not sprung weight, and a reduction in inspiring weight is always good, but it's not rotating mass either. When I did this upgrade I didn't notice any difference other than the braking.
quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #38
hockeystar17mnj

Drives: 2010 GTI 2 Door MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but how are you feeling the weight difference? I know it's technically not sprung weight, and a reduction in inspiring weight is always good, but it's not rotating mass either. When I did this upgrade I didn't notice any difference other than the braking.
Unsprung weight such as calipers, carriers, suspension components etc assist with the compression and rebound of your suspension, think of it this way. take a 10lb weight and swing it left and right, now take a 5lb weight and swing it left and right... which one can you swing faster with less effort?
Same thing applies with unsprung non rotating mass. The less weight you have the faster your suspension can react to potholes, rapid left & right turns, braking, acceleration.
hockeystar17mnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #39
Modshack
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: '13 Beetle TDi Conv., '14 C7 Chebby
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeystar17mnj View Post
Unsprung weight such as calipers, carriers, suspension components etc assist with the compression and rebound of your suspension, think of it this way. take a 10lb weight and swing it left and right, now take a 5lb weight and swing it left and right... which one can you swing faster with less effort?
Same thing applies with unsprung non rotating mass. The less weight you have the faster your suspension can react to potholes, rapid left & right turns, braking, acceleration.
/\ This!

I happen to be very sensitive to chassis dynamics so it's definitely a difference I can feel (you may not)..I've done this on other cars with similar results. Between my brakes and wheels I'm down 7.5 lbs per side. In Unsprung weight, this is pretty substantial..

Brembo:

Stock Boat Anchor:
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #40
hockeystar17mnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
/\ This!

I happen to be very sensitive to chassis dynamics so it's definitely a difference I can feel (you may not)..I've done this on other cars with similar results. Between my brakes and wheels I'm down 7.5 lbs per side. In Unsprung weight, this is pretty substantial..

Brembo:

Stock Boat Anchor:

So aside from having 4 pistons & a monoblock caliper vs 1 piston floating caliper. They are 5.6lbs lighter than the stock setup!
With so many threads about "weight reduction" this definitely is one of the more important.

reducing Unsprung non rotating mass(calipers, carriers, suspension components) will help your suspension do its job better.

reducing unsprung rotating mass (calipers, wheels, tires) will help your car brake better, accelerate faster, & help your suspension do its job better.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:36 AM   #41
hockeystar17mnj

calipers are here. just waiting on lines, bolts fluid rotors & pads.install will be shortly after
Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #42
hockeystar17mnj

rotors arrived today,apikol lines are waiting at the rents house, picking them up tomorrow along with mounting bolts. still waiting on super blue fluid, rotor screws, triple square bit and vibration dampers from pelican parts.
last purchase will be stainless rear lines & carbotech pads