GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandy Damaged Golf R, Anything I should look for? Good Idea?

aaps59

I found this water damaged 2012 Golf R through a insurance salvage auction in my area and Im really thinking about buying it. But before I do that, is there anything I should look into before I do? Would it be a too risky of a investment? Anything I should look for that might be a deal breaker? Ive contacted the people selling the vehicle for more details on it, and I will probably get a inspector to check it out if I really plan on buying it.
Does anyone with experience buying salvage or flood damage cars think its worth the time or effort?

aaps59

Shit will break. Vw are known for electrical problems. That + water = fuck. If its under 10k i say go for it though

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah Im trying to see how much it might go for, I dont think Id chase it if it went too much over 10K.
Hopefully it doesnt have much damage, but I guess il see when I hear back from the seller.

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Worse than just water bud. Salt water! Figure everything electronic will need to be replaced.
Major future headache !
$10k is probably to much.

aaps59

Worse than just water bud. Salt water! Figure everything electronic will need to be replaced.
Major future headache !
$10k is probably to much.

How can you tell it's salt water damaged? I don't think all the sandy damaged cars are salt water damaged.

http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20121116/28003202_9X.JPG http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20121116/28003202_8X.JPG http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20121116/28003202_7X.JPG http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20121116/28003202_5X.JPG http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20121116/28003202_2X.JPG

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Seats will need to be replaced... carpets too
god knows how many electronics modules. EFF that

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Probably have to assume ALL the electronics are toast. Thats at least 10K to replace. Seats, carpet, door cards, headliner, pillars etc (depending on how deep it was).

Then you gotta figure its a salvage title so you can't finance any of it, and resale is going to be SHIT.

Pass.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
no, not worth it. unless you want to do a heavy restoration to get it back to the new car feel. just think of all the wiring for the seatbelts,airbags,abs,ecu that could possibly go bad.

Last edited:

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
If you're already vw tech or similar and you want to spend the time and money as a 'second' project car with a custom interior etc, then go for it, if you're in need of a reliable DD then I would pass on it.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
I found this water damaged 2012 Golf R through a insurance salvage auction in my area and Im really thinking about buying it. But before I do that, is there anything I should look into before I do? Would it be a too risky of a investment? Anything I should look for that might be a deal breaker? Ive contacted the people selling the vehicle for more details on it, and I will probably get a inspector to check it out if I really plan on buying it.
Does anyone with experience buying salvage or flood damage cars think its worth the time or effort?

Red one? if it is it looked like it was under a ton of water, maybe racecar like mentioned.

EDIT - looked at the pics so obviously not the red one. That doesn't look as bad but it could have been under 12in of water or 100% submerged and then wiped down.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
I don't know.... Smells fishy.

Sorry I had to.

LOL!

OP, run in the other direction. The car will never be right, and little surprises will creep up over the next few years unless you strip it completely and start over. At that point, it would be a better investment to buy a new Golf R.

aaps59

Thanks for the help guys. Il probably pass on this, but il see what the lot manager says and update my post then.

yeah i wouldnt do it where was the auction ?
The lots in NJ the auctions online

Probably have to assume ALL the electronics are toast. Thats at least 10K to replace. Seats, carpet, door cards, headliner, pillars etc (depending on how deep it was).
Then you gotta figure its a salvage title so you can't finance any of it, and resale is going to be SHIT.

Pass.

Yeah, if its that bad I wouldn't consider buying it. Too many scary things that could go wrong while driving.

no, not worth it. unless you want to do a heavy restoration to get it back to the new car feel. just think of all the wiring for the seatbelts,airbags,abs,ecu that could possibly go bad.
Don't want to do heavy restoration

If you're already vw tech or similar and you want to spend the time and money as a 'second' project car with a custom interior etc, then go for it, if you're in need of a reliable DD then I would pass on it.
Not a tech, it'd be more of a DD.

Red one? if it is it looked like it was under a ton of water, maybe racecar like mentioned.

EDIT - looked at the pics so obviously not the red one. That doesn't look as bad but it could have been under 12in of water or 100% submerged and then wiped down.
Yeah, i guess il see.