GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's Discuss Clutch Options (Disc, Pressure Plate, Flywheel) - Summary of discussion

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Is this solution suitable for the stock dual mass flywheel and K04 applications?

What drop in disc are people using with the dual mass flywheel?
Yes, and yes. Allset has been using this setup with his K04 for more than 20k (I think 30k).

As noted in the first post, South Bend Stage 3 Drop In and the Clutchmasters FX350/300 disc + CM Pressure plate.

This is a great thread, and in a way it's making me reconsider going stage 1 due to the cost of replacing a clutch if need be. This is the first manual transmission car I've every owned and have only been driving stick for 4 months. So, I don't really have much to compare our clutch to and I went into buying a GTI biased b/c a bunch of friends sang praises about the GTI's manual transmission saying, "It's smooth, and real easy to drive." I find it kind of jerky from 1st to 2nd, and the clutch is smooth, but I wish it had more resistance. Considering some other hardware options to improve shifting besides dropping a boatload on a new clutch kit...perhaps a torque mount insert and a short shifter?
You'll get smoother with the shifting. 1-2 is a tough one. Consensus has been either shift really early (just get the wheels moving) or apply some throttle when letting the clutch out in second. Become smoother/slower w/ you clutch modulation--you will get it.

I don't have any input on the insert or ss. I have yet to do those. It is on my agenda to tighten things up. I can't really feel the catch point well on my car and I wear a different pair of shoes everyday for work, gym, and weekends.

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
I have been doing some research on NLS Clutch Shims. Chris from CBTuning mention about it to me.

Yesterday, he emailed me that the customer with a '11 GTI has the clutch shims installed last week and is very happy with the results. It has solve the issues he was having with SBC clutch.

For me - I am considering on putting the NLS shims along with the new CM FX350 hopefully around in March.

NLS Clutch Shims:

http://nothingleavesstock.com/online-store/#!/~/product/category=2903030&id=13912883

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5699167-NLS-02M-clutch-shim-kit-now-for-sale!

Hyde16 has those as well - http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=744654

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
what do these do? I'm not sure I entirely understand how it works.

To solve the drifting, shifter getting stuck in reverse, 1st gear, or 2nd gear. It would crawl forward or hard to shift. Clutch wouldn't disengage sometime.

I have SBC Stage 2 Daily Kit, it's hard to shift, shifter get stuck in reverse, 1st or 2nd or 3rd gear. It's not friendly in heavy traffic. Higher engagement point. Sometime, it gets sticky. That's why I was considering about getting the Shims to be installed with the new FX350 kit.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
To solve the drifting, shifter getting stuck in reverse, 1st gear, or 2nd gear. It would crawl forward or hard to shift. Clutch wouldn't disengage sometime.

I have SBC Stage 2 Daily Kit, it's hard to shift, shifter get stuck in reverse, 1st or 2nd or 3rd gear. It's not friendly in heavy traffic. Higher engagement point. Sometime, it gets sticky. That's why I was considering about getting the Shims to be installed with the new FX350 kit.

I've never experienced this before... I would imagine if you have an aftermarket clutch setup, it shouldn't either...

Anyone know how this actually solves the problem and what the actual problem is?

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
This is a great thread, and in a way it's making me reconsider going stage 1 due to the cost of replacing a clutch if need be. This is the first manual transmission car I've every owned and have only been driving stick for 4 months. So, I don't really have much to compare our clutch to and I went into buying a GTI biased b/c a bunch of friends sang praises about the GTI's manual transmission saying, "It's smooth, and real easy to drive." I find it kind of jerky from 1st to 2nd, and the clutch is smooth, but I wish it had more resistance. Considering some other hardware options to improve shifting besides dropping a boatload on a new clutch kit...perhaps a torque mount insert and a short shifter?

I went from stock transmission, to just short shifter, to short shifter + FX350 clutch kit, to short shifter + FX350 + ECS Dogbone/Torque mount insert.

The short shifter alone made shifts much more crisp, it was a huge difference and was one of my favorite mods. The addition of the FX350 was also a big difference, mostly in performance of the clutch and not really any change in the shift feel (you can read more here: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51717). By adding the dogbone/torque mount insert it increased the vibrations but throttle response seems better. The shifter might be a little more crips as well.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Updated with more info on Sachs Stage 3 Kit option:

*I found a review of SACH's stage 3 daily kit. I'm not sure if its a 100% kit from Sachs as it uses other manufacturers:
Sachs Stage 3 Daily clutch - this is same cover in South Bend Stage 3 Kit
Clutchnet Organic sprung hub disc ( 6 rivits on hub vs 3 on the OE sachs)
Four Season Steel Billet FW for TSI ( 8 bolt flange) - 18 Lbs
Luk release bearing

Added MaliciousMK6's review.

Last edited:

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Kern, do you happen to have 42dd shifter bushings or any modified/ aftermarket side to side bracket?

i have bushings i was going to install tomorrow. i planned on completely removing the shifting assembly and reassembling to make sure it's set correctly. i'll have to wait until tomorrow though, by the time i got home from work it was dark out.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
looks like your side to side linkage is binding. they should be able to fix that relatively easy.

the thing is it's not centered properly at all. when it's in neutral even coming from the right side, 3rd isn't straight up. it's a little to the right. is it a new part i need or can i fix it myself in a parking lot?

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
the thing is it's not centered properly at all. when it's in neutral even coming from the right side, 3rd isn't straight up. it's a little to the right. is it a new part i need or can i fix it myself in a parking lot?

well the side to side is plastic so if it was broke you would know. check that the slide and all pivot points are lubed, have someone wiggle the shifter while you look for a bind point.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
alright i'm forever alone so i don't have anyone that can test the shifter while i watch. i did move my intake and remove the battery tray to get to my shifter links to install the 42dd bushings today. with the clear open area i played with the shifter mechanism and it looks like when it goes up (which i'm sure transfers to shifting right on the shifter) it drops back down to the middle point. when i push it down (which i'm assuming left on the shifter) it doesn't bounce back up. i disconnected the linkages to install the bushings and now when i play with the shifter, it acts as it should. so if i look at the linkages in my hand, how would i be able to tell it's binding on something? is it possible that it's the shift lever itself? i'm kind of at the point where if i install it back in the car and it works, i'm just going to pretend it didn't happen. but while they're out i'd love to know what to check specifically.

hope that all makes sense