GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extreme Performance and Competition Tires

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I don't see them on TR.. just the PS2 and PSS

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
^ yeah, 50 profile on a sports summer tire is :eek: glad you got the 40's.

Sonny, I can't for the life of me decide on what extreme summer tire to run... BFG, ZII, RE-11A.. your guys reviews are... somewhat vague :lol: ;) But I did find the specific measurements in the test where they mention braking, etc. However, some enthusiasts have said the ZII can "get greasy" and can go wrong quicker than say the RE11A or BFG Rivals. I've used the old RE-11's in the past, and wasn't that impressed with them, so part of me wants to get something more "racy". Can you give any feedback on this?

I would agree with that. The RE11 and the Rival are definitely more predictable and progressive than the ZII. Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town for a couple days.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I would agree with that. The RE11 and the Rival are definitely more predictable and progressive than the ZII. Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town for a couple days.

Sonny, thank you sir. I actually ended up going with the Rivals :thumbsup: and damn, that clearance sale on the Sparco Tarmacs -

HOLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

wbean

attention whore
too bad i don't get the rivals in Hong Kong region.

I'm stuck between Z2 or AD08R but the price is almost 30% higher a set but i don't believe they're even a 10% difference in dry traction between the two.

i run 255/35/18 front and 235/40/18 rear. Would you recommend going for Rivals? i'll import a set if i have to or wold the compound not suffice in a hotter and more moist climate?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
At the rate I am going though my RE11A for events I probably will need to change them by mid year....at which point I sorta have to decide if I want to still use worn ones for the rears since the demands are so much lower in the back and just get 2 new RE11As for the fronts and just beat on them, or just pluck down money to get 4....and at which point do I keep Bridgestones or try something else....

I still lean on Rivals as alternative since they are rotatable....

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
At the rate I am going though my RE11A for events I probably will need to change them by mid year....at which point I sorta have to decide if I want to still use worn ones for the rears since the demands are so much lower in the back and just get 2 new RE11As for the fronts and just beat on them, or just pluck down money to get 4....and at which point do I keep Bridgestones or try something else....

I still lean on Rivals as alternative since they are rotatable....

How long have you had your RE-11As and they are holding up ok to heavy autox/daily use?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I have about 9000 miles on them now. 12 AutoX so far and 1 track day, and a 1800 miles road trip down to TN/NC area from MI.

I probably can still use these for a while if I just do autoX. But I probably won't do a track day with them. And I probably won't do a wet event with them since the shoulder thread is really worn now....

Considering the use they aren't bad at all.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
9000 is rather good, I only got around that on my BFG comp2s with similar autox use and driving to work here and there. If I can get that sort of mileage on RE-11a's then I rather get it on a stickier tire.

How is the autox surface you typically use? Im thinking my rather low mileage is due to the WWII era airstrip that just has a ton of grip. My summitomos have some outwear up front on my GTI from just two events...

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Depends. We have very broken pavement asphalt(with grass growing in the crack) and sealed surface asphalt and unsealed asphalt and slippery concrete. I usually notice really bad wear on slippery concrete since the car seems to just push on that surface and you get a lot of noticeable edge wear. My stock A/S tire on that surface was just beat after 1 event.

Most of the lots here aren't that big, so we don't typically have a really long corner that you see at National level stuff that really kills tire.

I think my PSS that I got rid of last season at this time had about 12 autoX also(really 7, plus Evo School since that had 24 runs in one day, which is like 5 autoX in itself). And 2 track days. These looks slightly better now than those were. The one less track day probably helped. And the 255 width probably helped too.