GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 03-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI 4DR Wolfsburg 6MT
Ronnie_B's Daily Driver / Wannabe Track-day Warrior Build

I've had the car for a few years now but just now getting around to putting a thread together. Like the title says, it's my daily driver that I frequently track, and so every mod for me needs to be well though-out. Like most of you, my car is my everything vehicle; so hauling around the kiddos, pulling a utility trailer, 20 mile work commutes, and 20 minute track sessions.

I do my own work (with the exception of internal transaxle work), so if you have any questions let me know!

Follow me on Instagram!
@easy_rider_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfYj5yaxlWU&t=28s

Modifications as of 5/2/2018:

Engine Modifications:
APR Stage 2 v2.4 93 Tune
APR Cast Downpipe
Vibrant Bottle Style Resonator
Carbonio Stage 1 Intake
R8 Coil Packs
iAbed Rear Main Seal

Drivetrain Modifications:
Peloquin Limited Slip Differential
DIY RSR Clutch Kit
Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Shifter
225/45/17 Yokohama Advan AD08r on OZ Omnia Wheels (Track)
225/40/18 Michelin AS-3 on stock Serron Wheels (Street)

Suspension Modifications:
H&R 26mm Front / 24mm Rear Sway bars (on the low setting)
Superpro Anti-Lift Kit
ECS Subframe Collar Kit

Braking:
Stoptech High Carbon Rotors (Front and Rear)
Stoptech 309 Series Pads
Tyrolsport Brake Bushing Kit
Motul RBF600 Fluid

Exterior:
Depo R LED Taillights
Weathertech window deflectors (for rainy track days)
Gloss Black front and fear VW emblems
MK7 Performance Pack red GTI front and rear emblems
Hidden Hitch trailer hitch

Interior / Diagnostics:
NewSouth Performance Boost Gauge & Vent Pod
Rennline Heel/Toe Extensions
OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter
Harry's Lap Timer Grand Prix v21.2 (Android)
Tackform Headrest Mount for GoPro
GoPro Hero Camera

Future Mods:
Looking at possibly going with a catch can, still deciding based on longterm feedback from other users. Also looking at a either camber plates or Superpro adjustable balljoints in order to gain some front alignment adjustment, as well as Tyrolsport Front and Rear Deadset Collar kits.

Thanks for looking!

Ronnie
APR Stage 2 v2.4 93 tune, APR Cast Downpipe, DIY RSR Clutch, Peloquin LSD, iABED RMS, Carbonio Stage 1 Intake, Diesel Geek Sigma 6, SuperPro ALK, H&R 26mm/24mm swaybars, Subframe collar kit, Stoptech 309 Pads, Centric Rotors, TS Brake Bushing Kit, Motul RBF600 Fluid, Yokohama ad08r's on OZ 17" Omnia (Track), Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on Serrons(Street) Build Thread

Last edited by Ronnie_B; 05-14-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Ronnie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Champion

I finally got around to walnut blasting last month. I have 67k miles and had been experiencing random misfires. The job took me about 10hrs, but I took my time and also replaced a few coolant hoses while I had the IM off. I did end up pulling the throttle body, but installed it on the IM before reinstall.

I went with a walnut blaster from Harbor Freight, connected to a BMW blaster wand with a modified shopvac attachment. Worked like a charm.

Side note: my 13MY GTI has the updated intake manifold with the revised runner flap stops.

Before and After

Before

After

New injector seals, and the cheap Ebay-special tool I used.

Blast wand setup I used.

Good time to change the oil after doing this job.
APR Stage 2 v2.4 93 tune, APR Cast Downpipe, DIY RSR Clutch, Peloquin LSD, iABED RMS, Carbonio Stage 1 Intake, Diesel Geek Sigma 6, SuperPro ALK, H&R 26mm/24mm swaybars, Subframe collar kit, Stoptech 309 Pads, Centric Rotors, TS Brake Bushing Kit, Motul RBF600 Fluid, Yokohama ad08r's on OZ 17" Omnia (Track), Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on Serrons(Street) Build Thread
Old 03-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Champion

Here are some pictures from the RSR clutch, iAbed RMS, and Peloquin LSD install. Euro Pro's in Yorktown, VA installed the LSD, I just brought them the transmission.

Love this setup!

New DMF, TDI disc, and TTRS pressure plate installed

Also, I installed the SuperPro ALK while I was under the car. Can't say enough about the quality of these mounts.

H&R 24mm rear swaybar install.

Last edited by Ronnie_B; 03-19-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Champion

Here are a few videos from the last track event of the season last year at the VIR Grand Course. I'm not yet solo'd on the Grand Course, so I had an instructor this event. The first video I was following a friend in his big turbo mk5 GTI.

https://youtu.be/4EQpPStRjUk
https://youtu.be/sa_WoomUAOw

These were pre-LSD install, and I'll be going back in April to do the Full Course.

Last edited by Ronnie_B; 03-19-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
zef
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI
Cool build man, glad to see a string of track minded GTI owners popping up on here.

Could you refer me to what hidden hitch part # you used? I've been looking for something similar and couldn't find anything that told me would fit. 4 spare wheels/tires, coolers, tent, etc, fill up the hatch quite quickly lol!

zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #6
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
NICE upgrades! how you liking the LSD, daily driving and on the track?
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Sub'd. Awesome thread so far.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
Could you refer me to what hidden hitch part # you used? I've been looking for something similar and couldn't find anything that told me would fit. 4 spare wheels/tires, coolers, tent, etc, fill up the hatch quite quickly lol!
This is the one I'm running: Hidden Hitch 60330

I agree that the car fills up fast, and having a utility trailer or hitch-mount cargo carrier can be a huge help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
NICE upgrades! how you liking the LSD, daily driving and on the track?
Thanks! I can't say enough how much the LSD changed the dynamics of the car, both on the street and track. It's my favorite modification by far. Before the LSD, the car wasn't very confidence inspiring in the corners because it would just push/understeer. Now, I can help use the throttle to steer the car toward the apex rather than just hoping the car doesn't push through. The other huge difference is accelerating out of corner when the inside tire used to just spin, now that power is put down by both wheels. It's an amazing feeling and eliminates the disadvantage of FWD. I've heard some people say that they didn't notice a difference on the street with an LSD. I'm definitely not one of those people, because I notice it every sweeping turn and off ramp I encounter.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
DASVDUB
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
sub'd
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|custom straight pipe catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|
DASVDUB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #10
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Champion

I don't do many appearance mods, but since I was going for a mk6 "Performance Package" setup, I thought the mk7 emblems would be fitting.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Champion

Installed a Rennline Throttle Pedal Cover and Heel/Toe Extension last week. Credit to
jay745 for the heads up on the company. After driving around for a week or so, it absolutely improves the pedal spacing to make throttle blips easier.

Also, prepping for upcoming trackday season, recently installed new Centric high carbon blank rotors and Stoptech 309 pads on the front. The old pad had a noticeable crack in the pad material, which didn't give me a warm and fuzzy. Granted the pads have been in use for the past 2 seasons.

Last edited by Ronnie_B; 04-04-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #12
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)

That's a good looking pedal. I kinda wish I had gotten the silver extensions instead of red.

I'd love to get out to VIR soon. Maybe towards the end of the season I'll make the trip
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #13
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Champion

Lap around the VIR Full Course from an HPDE event this past weekend. Still working with data overlay from my lap timer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfYj5yaxlWU

Last edited by Ronnie_B; 05-02-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #14
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Champion

Finally went Stage 2 today.

Installed the dp over the weekend, and got flashed today.