GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #43
lilfleck

Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
Just got back from my road trip... will be posting my review and feedback on the Vacar lights sometime this week.
lilfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #44
lilfleck

My review on Ed's Cherry LED lights

Packaging:
Pretty solid IMO. Each light has saran wrap on the outter plastic, then wrapped in a thin foam material, then bubble wrapped, then boxed, then boxed again. That being said, I did have some damage on my original order, but I can't blame the packaging too much.

Installation/Fitment:
Wasn't difficult. The fitment definitely isn't OEM. The OEM's slip in and out with ease. The VACAR lights didn't pop in so smoothly, but they did go in with patience. Hardest part to me was moving the carpet to get to the outer lamps. The trick for fitment was to tighten the bolts evenly and checking the fitment throughout the whole thing. They looked great and fit pretty darn good.

Quality:
Here is where I had a big gripe. Quality control over these lights was pretty poor in my batch. The first batch I had some imperfections like a broken side piece to the inner light, a crack on the side of a light, and a nick inside the lens of another light. Ed tried to tell me that this was the way it is supposed to be, but I pushed back and got another set sent to me. I did have to return the old ones and he paid for return shipping which was good.

New set comes in, and I noticed that the new ones have similar defects :| Totally bummed out. This time Ed says, "Sorry, that is not really a crack, its not on the face of the lenses, and they don’t affect functionality."

I plan on putting RTV silicone on that last crack to ensure nothing seeps in. It did rain like hell over the past two weeks and no fogging/leaking (knock on wood).

Other Notes:
These are likely from buychina, alibaba, or some other Chinese wholesaler.

Conclusion:
If you are OCD, I would steer clear of these. There will likely be a quality control issue somewhere on these lights, small, or big. It will be a headache to get perfect. If you don't mind small imperfections, I would suggest this route. They look good, the LEDs are bright, and they coded fine. I can't complain about that.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #45
WetMoney
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: "Love the Cars, Hate the Scene"
damn...

hmmm im hesitant on getting them now. im OCD haha

WetMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #46
lilfleck

I know what you mean... I need to take some more photos of it in the daylight to show ya'll.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:57 AM   #47
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
On your color-matched front valance, did you take it apart yourself and then send it to a painter? It looks real clean, would love to try and do that myself.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #48
lilfleck

The guy before me did it. I believe he took it apart then brought it to the shop. You can do either or, but the painter should take it apart if you drop it off.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #49
Brunkel
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2013 UGM GTI; 6-speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetMoney View Post
damn...

hmmm im hesitant on getting them now. im OCD haha
I'm in the same boat...I am planning to do headlights first though so I have some time to think it over. I've heard a lot of good things about Ed's headlights so feel pretty good about those.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #50
Vancity2Constantinople
Banned

Drives: OO------OO
go oem or stop crying. you are paying half the price for tail lights that aren't even supposed to be in NA unless you order them.

I had the 1st taillight set from ed, and my review has close to 31,000 views, and many people have bought them.

They still function perfectly after almost 1.5 years.

some get away with the tabs(plastic screw) for fitment, some don't. just grind them down to smaller size, and it will fit much better.

again, no one will even have a single clue in the real world what these tail lights are other than the vw guys. so who cares, I like them, they function great, look great, and add class to the rear end.

so guys, don't worry about it. go for it. or go OEM
cheers.
Vancity2Constantinople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #51
DasAuto1295
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: DBP '11 6MT 2dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity2Constantinople View Post
go oem or stop crying. you are paying half the price for tail lights that aren't even supposed to be in NA unless you order them.

I had the 1st taillight set from ed, and my review has close to 31,000 views, and many people have bought them.

They still function perfectly after almost 1.5 years.

some get away with the tabs(plastic screw) for fitment, some don't. just grind them down to smaller size, and it will fit much better.

again, no one will even have a single clue in the real world what these tail lights are other than the vw guys. so who cares, I like them, they function great, look great, and add class to the rear end.

so guys, don't worry about it. go for it. or go OEM
cheers.

Sent from the porcelain throne
Instagram @bcrandeis
DasAuto1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #52
lilfleck

A bit unnecessary... @ my review, those are my thoughts and opinion on them.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #53
lilfleck

New direction is the works. The wheels are turning in my head. May be picking up a few new parts @ waterfest 19.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #54
WetMoney
Formula 5000 Driver

where in Nj u located?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #55
lilfleck

Central Jersey, you?
Old 07-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #56
WetMoney
Formula 5000 Driver

North. nice car btw. i was thinking of getting tarmacs.
ill see u at waterfest!