GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official MK6 TDI Tunes Thread

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
Disclaimer: I'm an APR dealer

You would think that the Malone tune with 333 lb-ft would would feel much faster than the APR with 297 lb-ft, but the APR tune felt faster with the butt dyno. The two cars driven were a 6spd Sport Wagon with APR and DSG Golf with Malone Stage 2. Not Apples to apples, but still...

you being an apr dealer should know that if you have a DSG you cannot use your pathetic tune. The DSG has a built in torque cut out of 267 lbft. So, why would any of us with a DSG buy a tune from APR that will not allow full use of said tune?

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
revival of the dead thread.

sold my 11, now I have a 13 tdi dsg golf. Not sure if I wanna try Malone, or do APR (again) on this one.

on another note, considering trying to remove the two cats & Muff (and leave the DPF). All I want is a BIT more damn sound.

Can't use APR since they say you don't need a DSG tune (and they don't offer). Everyone who has a TDI/DSG knows that the torque cut off is in the 260s range, and APR says they give you 293... LMFAO, how the hell are you going to use the full tune?

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
What are you guys paying for tunes? Does Malone + DSG have a stock mode setting?

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
So I'm quoted USD$675 from VW dealership for the APR tune, a local shop can do it for USD$608. Does that sound pretty standard for pricing? Does it make sense to pay the extra for the dealer to do it?
Thanks!

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
If you can buy a set of steak knives from Target for $99; and the exact same set from Walmart for $79; does it make sense to pay the extra for the Target purchase? ;)

Seriously though; the only thing that might be worthwhile is to talk to the dealership and build the relationship with them if you want to be certain your warranty is safe (ask them about that specifically).

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
Here's what I got after asking the question regarding a failed ECU during or after the installation:

"Yes we are a distributor for APR, but we don't guarantee their work or equipment, they do. We buy and install their products for customers, we can help facilitate a warranty claim with them if there is ever the need, but at the end of the day, if something fails, it's between you and them.
We continue to be happy to perform the services and modifications at*customers request and don't expect this type of modification to cause you issues, but if a repair is not covered by APR, then those related expenses will be passed on to you as the owner of the car."

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Then it is definitely not worth the extra for the dealership... I thought APR was OBD Port tuned now anyway; why the added cost?

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
Correct. I am not sure. They might have added pull with a warranty claim but it's really up to APR and their website says that they only cover their own software

Anybody ever have a catastrophe occur during an upgrade like this?

Last edited:

Yukon

Passed Driver's Ed
APR doesn't know jack about tuning TDI's. Malone or Rocketchip...

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
Got the APR on sale.... just going to test it out now!

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
:happyanim:

You are right, the car has tons more torque. I find the tires ripping loose in the first three gears but I also enjoy a fresh and peppy top end. It feels like a gas engine at high revs.

I got the APR because I can hold down the cruise button and switch to stock. May do this for fuel economy or if it's just too icy and snowy out.... I'll have to learn more about the car in all settings.

What a fun drive home lol!

Last edited:

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!

Yukon

Passed Driver's Ed
I hear that REVO is the best! Lol

I've heard decent things about REVO, but no personal experience. Mark Malone is highly regarded in the TDI world, and Jeff at Rocketchip is right up there. APR is bottom of the barrel when it comes to diesel tuning. Their reputation for bricking ECU's is well known. They claim you don't need to tune the DSG, but every other tuner knows you need to. If they spent more money on R&D instead of advertising, maybe they would be worthy in the diesel world. Could explan their recent financial troubles...

Glad you like your new tune, just stating what many others have said and experienced with APR. They definitely know gas engines though, I'll give them that.