GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CTS K04 Coolant Return Line Issue?

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Bruh Man,

If you can't find that washer, let me know. We stock them for the APR kits, just give me your address and I'll shoot one out to you no charge.

or this, or if you local parts store has 14mm or 9/16 crush washers if you didn't want to wait shipping time, but nice of HST for the offer regardless

Alejo

Ready to race!
Had the same issue.. took about 2 hours of trying and finally decided to tow my car to Volkswurks in Gainesville. Jeff did it in 30 minutes while tuning the car. That damn coolant line is a PITA.

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
Thanks again guys.

HS Tuning-always looking out! Need to stop by the dealer for some things so I'll check with them first.

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
Just wanted to update this, car is running great. Got my ECU back from Tyrolsport(amazing service) and the thicker washer solved everything.

This CTS kit is priced very competitively, but does not include a few key components for install(Oetiker clamp and coolant line washer). Not a big deal, but a pain in the ass to find out during install. Also pretty disappointing considering Clay confirmed I received the right washers before I started.

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
The amount of down time not mentioned originally could REALLY be a key play in the install game. I hope people can source what they need prior to installing.

dubbinit2

Drag Racing Champion
The coolant line to my AWE kit was also a pain in the ass. I just switched it up top. But not after 2 days of frustration. Z you should make a sticky for this coolant line trouble.

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
The coolant line to my AWE kit was also a pain in the ass. I just switched it up top. But not after 2 days of frustration. Z you should make a sticky for this coolant line trouble.
haha yeah, spent many hours in awe at why the bolt wouldn't thread. took less than a minute with the thicker washer.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I heard that AWE uses non OEM lines. If someone buys a K04 from a Golf R, is there a need to even mess w/ the oil/coolant lines?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I hate to bump an old topic but couldnt find any info, but CTS k04s are on sale once and again and they now have an updated kit similar to the IE that use a DV adapter plate instead of relocation. Do you still need a thick coolant washer?

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
I hate to bump an old topic but couldnt find any info, but CTS k04s are on sale once and again and they now have an updated kit similar to the IE that use a DV adapter plate instead of relocation. Do you still need a thick coolant washer?

You should need the thicker washer regardless of the K04 "brand." They're all Borg Warner K04's besides HPA.

If the CTS kit doesn't come with the washer (which I thought it does), here's a link: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...s/copper-sealing-washer-priced-each/n0138144/

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
It does look like it includes a washer in the picture of the new kit, but not sure if it's the "thick" one needed to install without issues like in the op of this topic. Ill pick it up anyway if I get the kit to prevent issues.

wmssbr10

Passed Driver's Ed
It does look like it includes a washer in the picture of the new kit, but not sure if it's the "thick" one needed to install without issues like in the op of this topic. Ill pick it up anyway if I get the kit to prevent issues.

I got the CTS K04 kit in October 2017 and the washers included with kit were correct. The included Oetiker clamp however was NOT the correct size(to small). Had to use a worm gear clamp. No issues.