GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 02-27-2018, 06:38 PM   #1
10_white_gti
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 gti
Who wants to see an eBay budget Ko4/f23t build ???

Before anyone says anything I know yes I said eBay...I know the quality isn’t the best we all know....yes I’m a noob I lurk only..... and I’m not a noob to turbo cars or cars in general.

Current mods
Cobb AP stage 2 stock MAF
CTS catted DP
Stock resonator mated with Megan Axle back
AST Cold Air Intake modified to use stock MAF

So anyway plans would be
EBay S4 intercooler and charge pipes(proven to be good)
Ko4/f23t( so called “bootlegs” of several company’s but they all come from China, and I’ve done my own research and to me they all the same parts just relabeled. Not bashing any company this is my own personal opinion.)
Oviously a Pro tune by Bren tuning
Turbo Gasket set form ECS
I’ll add more as I think of it.
10_white_gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 black Wolfsburg
The parts all do come from china, but the BW turbo is a proven turbo with MUCH better quality control and better parts. You may be in for a world of headaches, but good luck with it anyway.
GroceryGTIer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
oskar_gtimk6
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives:
That'd be cool man, it's your build do whatever you want, do some coilovers too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oskar_gtimk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #4
OEMPL+S
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 11' A3 T Quattro ScubaBlue
Edit: now I thought about it .... The Borg Warner/BW is expensive and the K04 has to be modified to fit if it's a OEM turbo from the VW.

The best but also pricey K04 is the IE K04 IMO .... already modified with all needed modifications.

I would definitely be interested in seeing you build a budget setup .... Just try to make it the most reliable setup of the budget turbos .... Maybe buy a budget K04 and port the intake side and then add OEM internals.

Last edited by OEMPL+S; 02-27-2018 at 09:23 PM.
OEMPL+S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #5
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMPL+S View Post
Edit: now I thought about it .... The Borg Warner/BW is expensive and the K04 has to be modified to fit if it's a OEM turbo from the VW.

The best but also pricey K04 is the IE K04 IMO .... already modified with all needed modifications.

I would definitely be interested in seeing you build a budget setup .... Just try to make it the most reliable setup of the budget turbos .... Maybe buy a budget K04 and port the intake side and then add OEM internals.
You want to port the exhaust side, that's what gets the gasses out faster.... there's a lot of meat in there to come out, I did my own. My k04 was 1650 for everything with the CTS sale, so the BW is actually not the most expensive. What makes IE's k04 "the best"?
Old 02-27-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
OEMPL+S
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGTIer View Post
You want to port the exhaust side, that's what gets the gasses out faster.... there's a lot of meat in there to come out, I did my own. My k04 was 1650 for everything with the CTS sale, so the BW is actually not the most expensive. What makes IE's k04 "the best"?
Well sometimes the exhaust side can cause issues from what I've heard .... But I guess it's fine .... You on a basic tune?

Wow that is not bad for a K04 for setup ....

IE's K04 is just nicely finished and has a adapter for the stock DV location and welded muffler delete and it's a decent price .... Just my opinion ....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2018, 10:00 PM   #7
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Well sometimes the exhaust side can cause issues from what I've heard .... But I guess it's fine .... You on a basic tune?

Wow that is not bad for a K04 for setup ....

IE's K04 is just nicely finished and has a adapter for the stock DV location and welded muffler delete and it's a decent price .... Just my opinion ....

Cts' kit has the added turbo muffler, and... in all honesty, keeping the DV away from the added heat, will be better for it. A DV relocation is really more ideal. No offense, but did you just start up with these cars? How does porting the exhaust side cause issues?
Old 02-27-2018, 10:36 PM   #8
OEMPL+S
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGTIer View Post
Cts' kit has the added turbo muffler, and... in all honesty, keeping the DV away from the added heat, will be better for it. A DV relocation is really more ideal. No offense, but did you just start up with these cars? How does porting the exhaust side cause issues?
Explain how it will be better for it .... The DV is still in the turbo housing even on current generation GTI's and R's .... And it's also far less of clutter job under the hood without a relocation kit wrapping around the engine .... In sure if turbo heat, cooking the DV was such a big issue, OEM manufacturers wouldn't put it there ....

Anyway I haven't heard of/seen any issues with heat problems related to the DV being in the factory location where the engineers designed it to be.

The issue about exhaust gas flow was in a thread about someone porting there APR K04 .... Wasn't necessary fact .... They just stated that they didn't think it would be good for valve timing on a basic tune.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:57 PM   #9
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Explain how it will be better for it .... The DV is still in the turbo housing even on current generation GTI's and R's .... And it's also far less of clutter job under the hood without a relocation kit wrapping around the engine .... In sure if turbo heat, cooking the DV was such a big issue, OEM manufacturers wouldn't put it there ....

Anyway I haven't heard of/seen any issues with heat problems related to the DV being in the factory location where the engineers designed it to be.

The issue about exhaust gas flow was in a thread about someone porting there APR K04 .... Wasn't necessary fact .... They just stated that they didn't think it would be good for valve timing on a basic tune.

Heat is always bad for cheap plastic parts. Not to mention the fact that when you kill a pcv valve, oil just runs down your intake, which also kills DV's... I know because it's happened to me several times with junk turbos like what OP is talking about building. Save your time, money, and effort and justg go with an OEM BW turbo. You want to run more power? Up the intercooler size and get a forge or turbosmart WGA, and up the boost. If thed F23 and other K04s are pushing so much power, why doesn't it seem to be showing up in 1/4 times?
Old 02-27-2018, 11:56 PM   #10
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Ive seen arguments that the FrankenTurbos are literally the same ones being sold on Ebay. Not sure what the deal is, but they probably work. Not sure about longevity though.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:57 PM   #11
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Also the CTS k04 is on sale for like $1650 right now, and they updated the kit so its more like the IE k04 with the dv in the factory spot with the adapter plate
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:49 AM   #12
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI
You can get these cars for so cheap anymore going the eBay route kinda makes sense. But $1650 for a clean, bolt on upgrade like a CTS K04 is definitely not unreasonable.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:40 AM   #13
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
wait so CTS keeps the muffler on the turbo? I thought they removed it like everyone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
wait so CTS keeps the muffler on the turbo? I thought they removed it like everyone else?
It's cut off and a muffler delete is justf welded on