GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 06-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #29
EMaster24
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsoldier83 View Post
The MSRP on it was around $27,8XX. We picked it up for $500 under MSRP, around the $25,2XX mark.
Did you mean $27,2xx?
Old 06-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #30
roninsoldier83
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2013 Infiniti G37x
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMaster24 View Post
Did you mean $27,2xx?
No sir, MSRP was around $27,8XX and we picked it up for $25,2XX. It was a good deal for sure, but took calling around to several dealers to get it.
roninsoldier83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #31
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: '12 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csg_r View Post
Good comparison OP. I come from 2013 sti and even thoug you compared to wrx, I agree with you on almost everything. I do enjoy stock suspension an steering feel of sti more than R though.
My stage 1+ R feels about same as STOCK sti. So it just shows how well sti performs.

But what I like most about my R is the keyless entry!! Lol.
Aw dude, kessy is AMAZING. If I never had it I'd think it was gimmicky or whatever and could totally live without. After a year of kessy it has become a mandatory feature.
thedude4bides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #32
EMaster24

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI MT
Quote:
No sir, MSRP was around $27,8XX and we picked it up for $25,2XX. It was a good deal for sure, but took calling around to several dealers to get it.
so you got it for $2,500 under MSRP.... could I borrow you next time I am buying a car?
Old 06-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #33
FlyByGti
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: '12 K04 GTI (sold)/ 09 Black 370z
You know I had a lot of the same thoughts yesterday. I don't drive an R but get similar power to the STI with the K04. Honestly just in driving around in the WRX it just didn't feel as refined as even the GTI with the cheap feeling and hard interior. Your writeup is extensive (which I like) and unbiased (read: giving fact instead of straight opinion).

When I read things like this, it makes me happy that I went with VW, so I thank you for your honest review

Also both are beautiful cars, so enjoy.

K04 Club Member #36
| APR K04 | APR Intercooler | Carbonio Stage 1 & 2 Intake | Eurojet Turboback Exhaust | Red Footwells | Yellow Fogs | Spyder LED Tail Lights | New South Boost Gauge | Blue ECS Aspherical Side Mirrors Sold
¯\_(ツ)_/¯NFG( ° ͜ʖ ͡°)
FlyByGti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #34
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude4bides View Post
Aw dude, kessy is AMAZING. If I never had it I'd think it was gimmicky or whatever and could totally live without. After a year of kessy it has become a mandatory feature.
I was the same way with Kessy, comfort access (BMW), and other similar systems.

Quote:
so you got it for $2,500 under MSRP.... could I borrow you next time I am buying a car?
haha, that's not that uncommon if you do your homework and ask for price quotes from several dealers.

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #35
roninsoldier83
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcw5733 View Post
The 2011 STI is a different animal from the 2008 STI. Here's a plot for better comparison between the 2011 WRX and 2011 STI (my actual car here on Cobb Tuning Plano)
Oh wow, that WRX is a freak! Honestly, I haven't really understood Subaru's mentality since they beefed up the WRX so much. Giving out that much performance for the WRX makes it a little tough to justify the STI IMO, especially considering the interiors & options are so similar. Although Subaru seems to be doing a LOT better at selling WRX's & STI's than Mitsubishi is at selling Lancer Ralliarts (everyone seems to fork over the extra cash for the EVO), so maybe they're doing something right?!?
Old 06-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #36
roninsoldier83
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Haha, it really just requires a good bit of calling around to different dealers and getting them into a bidding war. I'm 29 years old and not counting the wife's cars, the Golf R is my 13th car; in my experience, there's always someone whose willing to give bottom dollar in order to make a deal happen. Although it's a little tougher with cars like that Golf R, where only like 2 dealers in the state have any left.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:06 AM   #37
BlownFa5
Banned

Drives: S/C'ed Fa5
Quote:
Oh wow, that WRX is a freak! Honestly, I haven't really understood Subaru's mentality since they beefed up the WRX so much. Giving out that much performance for the WRX makes it a little tough to justify the STI IMO, especially considering the interiors & options are so similar. Although Subaru seems to be doing a LOT better at selling WRX's & STI's than Mitsubishi is at selling Lancer Ralliarts (everyone seems to fork over the extra cash for the EVO), so maybe they're doing something right?!?
I've been saying this for a while now. Both make close to the same power in stock trim. The STI actually has the older VF48 turbo whereas the WRX has the newer, larger, VF52. If they didn't take the rear LSD out of the WRX in 08 it would completely embarrass the STI, given the price difference.

Unless one plans to go stage 2+ or track their car, there really aren't many good reasons to go with the STI over the WRX. I'd say most people chose to simply out of badge envy.
BlownFa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #38
roninsoldier83
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownFa5 View Post
I've been saying this for a while now. Both make close to the same power in stock trim. The STI actually has the older VF48 turbo whereas the WRX has the newer, larger, VF52. If they didn't take the rear LSD out of the WRX in 08 it would completely embarrass the STI, given the price difference.

Unless one plans to go stage 2+ or track their car, there really aren't many good reasons to go with the STI over the WRX. I'd say most people chose to simply out of badge envy.
Yep, I agree completely... if you're planning on tracking or highly modifying the car, then the STI makes sense, but otherwise, if you're just commuting, the STI seems like a waste of cash. Although it's too bad Subaru won't move the WRX into the 21st century and just give it a proper 6-speed (even their newer/cheaper 6-speed in the base Legacy would be nice)... but I fear in doing that, they might cannibalize STI sales to an even greater degree.

For the money, it's fairly hard for me to see why the STI is still so popular... the WRX can be had for substantially less cash, and the STI isn't really any faster (unless you're going around a track)... and if it's track prowess you desire, the Mitsubishi EVO is significantly more suited to turning, braking and accelerating... and if you're just looking for a nicer car to drive than an EVO, that's easier to live with, the Golf R makes a lot more sense to me.

Although I think it's funny that so many automotive journalists knock on the R's performance, but the STI doesn't seem to get the same negative stigma, when in reality, the R has been shown to run virtually the same lap times around tracks like VIR as the STI, and matches the same 1/4 mile trap speeds as the STI in virtually every publication I've read:

Motor Trend:

2011 Subaru STI- 13.8 sec @ 97.6 mph
2012 VW Golf R- 14.2 sec @ 97.9 mph

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t/viewall.html
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._r_first_test/

Edmunds Inside Line:

2011 Subaru STI- 13.8 @ 97.4
2012 VW Golf R- 14.4 @ 97.2

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...sti-sedan.html
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...en-golf-r.html

Car and Driver:

2011 Subaru STI- 13.9 sec @ 99 mph
2012 VW Golf R- 14.3 sec @ 99 mph

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...sti-sedan-test
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-r-test-review

^^^It makes me wonder, if the Golf R is "slow" or doesn't perform up to what's expected (despite being within 0.2 seconds of the STI's VIR lap times), what does that make the STI, given both vehicles have the same trap speeds? Especially considering the Golf R at least has an interior worthy of a ~$35k vehicle, which is something I wouldn't consider saying about the STI... Although I will say, the Subaru's seem to get out of the hole pretty hard compared to other models!

I tell you one thing though, I think the VW R would have gotten MUCH better reviews if VW would have at least given it a summer tire optional package, as the all-seasons don't spit out the slalom, skidpad and braking numbers that the car is capable of (i.e. STI levels). The all-season tires on the R make it seem much less capable than it actually is... Although maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way... Maybe I should be happy that so many people don't know about this car, as it enabled me to pick one up for in-voice, without having to deal with the "mad-tyte boy-racers" revving at me at every stop-light.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #39
TAZZ

Drives: 2011 .:R, DSG 2Doors
Quality write-up
DM Custom 2+ / Upsolute DSG Reflash / Autotech HPFP / RS4 HPRV / Scorpion Catless Resonated TBE / APR Carbonio / GFB DV+ / CTS TOP / CTS TBP / HG Pulley / Sprintbooster / HPA Haldex Competition Controller / Alcon Advantage Extreme BBK / FONDMETAL 9RR Wheels
336 awhp / 357 awtq - Build
TAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #40
ides1056
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2013 Golf R
First class review.
Thanks, Brendon.
ides1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #41
MKV Aaron

Drives: Golf R
Roninsouldier83 gets it.
MKV Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #42
MKV Aaron

Drives: Golf R
Good summer tires and ESP that you could turn off from the factory would have made it a totally different model launch.

Great to find a fellow r owner who reads and analyses the numbers. You and I are cut from the same cloth on this subject. Preach on brother.
MKV Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote