GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 06-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
exxtreme

Drives: Golf Mark 6
Removal Front door Windows Regulator on Golf mk6 2012, odd looking clamp bolt

Hi guys,
I am trying to remove the front door windows regulator to get access to the outer door for soundproofing. I search the forums and manage to get my backdoor done as the clamps for the windows regulator were the dowel type.

However my front door are a different story, I haven't found anyone writing about this particular type of bolt. The other type is an M10 and this is definitely not an M10.

Any one has any clue? It looks more like a small allen M3 socket. And yes I have tried to socket and turn both anti and clockwise with no avail. Anyone experience this before?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3608 small.jpg (243.1 KB, 399 views)
exxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #2
Trnado_2.5
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: A3 Quattro
If it is the bolt I think your asking about I think it may actually be a torx. Maybe a t10.
Trnado_2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #3
exxtreme

Drives: Golf Mark 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnado_2.5 View Post
If it is the bolt I think your asking about I think it may actually be a torx. Maybe a t10.
The problem is, it doesn't seem like a bolt, more like welded on. Wondering if there is another way to to release the clamp so I remove the window.
exxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
racinrabbit
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '10 GTI 2Dr
PM me your email address, I'll send you a PDF showing how to remove the front regulator.
racinrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Cadubya
“DUBYA” VP COUCH MOD

Drives: 2011 BT VP COUCH MACHINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinrabbit View Post
PM me your email address, I'll send you a PDF showing how to remove the front regulator.
Could I get that PDF too?

christopher.a.washburn@gmail.com
Old 06-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
quality_sound

Drives: '13 4-door Golf TDI
A 4mm socket on an extension will loosen those bolts. Remember, however, that because they bolt in from the other side that you turn them CLOCKWISE to loosen them and COUNTER-CLOCKWISE to tighten. You don't need to loosen them a ton. They're captive nuts so you wont lose them but you don't need to go crazy loosening or tightening them. Then you can pull the window up and out.

After that its drilling out the 1/4" rivets (these rivets have a larger head than a normal 1/4" river), pulling the other white clips (grab the nipple with pliers and pull straight out, it's okay of the center piece comes out of the clip) then unclip all the wires from the regulator and start to feed them and the door handle cable through. Last, under two gray stickers there are two torx bolts. Remove these. Now break the seal by pulling the regulator away from the door then lift the regulator up and swing the bottom out of the door. There will be one bundle of wires clipped to the backside near the speaker opening to pop off.
quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
racinrabbit

Drives: '10 GTI 2Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadubya View Post
Could I get that PDF too?

christopher.a.washburn@gmail.com
emailed
racinrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
Cadubya
“DUBYA” VP COUCH MOD

Drives: 2011 BT VP COUCH MACHINE
Thanks!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
funkymcbain
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 MKVI GTI
Need to revive this, I need to adjust my window but would really like to know how these clamps look and work
funkymcbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
Johnny Two Tone
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 2.5L Sportline
All the mechanism is is a metal glass clamp that binds using a torx screw and bolt combo. To loosen it simply pop the rubber grommet out of the appropriate access hole (as shown in pics above), lower the window until you can see the screw head through the hole, loosen the screw using the appropriate torx driver (only loosen it as much as needed to get the glass out, otherwise the nut may fall out), then pull the glass up (you can pull the glass right out of the door). I haven't done it in a while but I think there are two clamps for the front windows. For some reason I'm hazy on that detail.
Johnny Two Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #11
funkymcbain
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Two Tone View Post
All the mechanism is is a metal glass clamp that binds using a torx screw and bolt combo. To loosen it simply pop the rubber grommet out of the appropriate access hole (as shown in pics above), lower the window until you can see the screw head through the hole, loosen the screw using the appropriate torx driver (only loosen it as much as needed to get the glass out, otherwise the nut may fall out), then pull the glass up (you can pull the glass right out of the door). I haven't done it in a while but I think there are two clamps for the front windows. For some reason I'm hazy on that detail.
Thanks Johnny, you are correct there are two. Only thing I'm worried about is will the glass fall into the door or is it a huge pain to position properly? I need to move mine forward just a few mm and that's it so I don't want to create a huge problem for myself trying to fix something else.
Tool fan much?
funkymcbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
Johnny Two Tone
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 2.5L Sportline
Yee, Tool is greatest.

Anyway, the clamps have a flat bottom. The weight of the window sits right on the clamp, so not only can the window not fall down after loosening the bolt but to re-seat the window you merely push it down onto the clamps as far is it'll go and then re-tighten the bolts. You'll want to make sure the window is re-seated properly or else the safety force check may make the window act funnily (that's the thing where the window will roll down automatically if there is something obstructing the window when it's being rolled up).
Johnny Two Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
quality_sound

Drives: '13 4-door Golf TDI
Also remember that you will turn RIGHT to loosen and LEFT to tighten since they technically bolt in from the side you're not working from. You won't have to loosen them much at all.
quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #14
matty_06

Drives: MK6 Golf GTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinrabbit View Post
Could I get that PDF sent too please?
mattpowell1991@gmail.com
matty_06 is offline   Reply With Quote