GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 02-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #379
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MK6 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep.mit View Post
Wish you a healthy and successful time at Honduras.
Danke!

Radical Edward
Injen1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #380
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Took the car out to Willow Springs last week and had a blast driving faster than ive ever been on a track since Nordschleife. Seriously that track is "the fastest track in the west."

Name:  WS2_2818_Mar3118_CaliPhoto.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  291.5 KB

A couple of huge takeaways:

-Federal 595RSRR are just amazing track tires for the money. Didnt even come close to their limits of grip. In fact I was more limited in lateral grip by potential oil starvation than by tires
-The car desperately wants an LSD. Ive been putting it off for so long but within a year it will happen (possibly a new clutch too).
-My best time on the track was 1:49.73. The car had a MUCH better time in it but i was running conservatively and didnt have alot of clear track. Specifically on turns 2 and 8/9 there were 3 more seconds to be had there and more speed to carry into turn 1 with the latter.

Name:  WS2_2709_Mar3118_CaliPhoto.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  255.0 KB

The last thing I want to mention is all the "talk" out there. Im not setting down and record times by any means but im just glad to be out there getting it and having fun. To me driving a VW daily and hitting some hard miles on the track is a MILLION times better than hard parking at some show only putting 20 miles on the car every two weeks. If there is any change I would prefer to see in this culture its more driving and less parking.

#trackyourdaily

Radical Edward
Old 04-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #381
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
MMMM I love seeing cars driven hard. Oh and definitely get an lsd. It's one of the best things ever
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:20 AM   #382
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
MMMM I love seeing cars driven hard. Oh and definitely get an lsd. It's one of the best things ever
Samsies

Also im leaving the country for a while. So im thinking a tranny build when i get back

Radical Edward
Old 04-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #383
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI 4DR Wolfsburg 6MT
Love this build thread, such a cool car!

My only input is: how does this car not have an LSD yet??

Seriously, it will completely change the way you drive your car.

Keep the updates coming.
APR Stage 2 v2.4 93 tune, APR Cast Downpipe, DIY RSR Clutch, Peloquin LSD, iABED RMS, Carbonio Stage 1 Intake, Diesel Geek Sigma 6, SuperPro ALK, H&R 26mm/24mm swaybars, Subframe collar kit, Stoptech 309 Pads, Centric Rotors, TS Brake Bushing Kit, Motul RBF600 Fluid, Yokohama ad08r's on OZ 17" Omnia (Track), Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on Serrons(Street) Build Thread
Ronnie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #384
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie_B View Post
Love this build thread, such a cool car!

My only input is: how does this car not have an LSD yet??

Seriously, it will completely change the way you drive your car.

Keep the updates coming.
The big answer is that this is my daily. LSD is alot of money and shop time that is hard to sacrifice. Most of the mods on this I've done myself... LSD is a bit outside my scope.

That being said fear not... It will come

Radical Edward
Old 04-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #385
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injen1us View Post
The big answer is that this is my daily. LSD is alot of money and shop time that is hard to sacrifice. Most of the mods on this I've done myself... LSD is a bit outside my scope.

same for me...hopefully one day...LSD lol
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | ST40| Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #386
deep.mit
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI 6MT 2dr
Quote:
The last thing I want to mention is all the "talk" out there. Im not setting down and record times by any means but im just glad to be out there getting it and having fun. To me driving a VW daily and hitting some hard miles on the track is a MILLION times better than hard parking at some show only putting 20 miles on the car every two weeks. If there is any change I would prefer to see in this culture its more driving and less parking.

#trackyourdaily
I have not ventured into tracking yet, but absolutely love AutoX! Although I have no objection to the idea of a "show car", I totally agree that if you are not enjoying a car from driving it, you are not really doing it any justice.

Keeping the car clean and purdy is fine, but it shouldn't be just a parked showpiece Way to go!

My Build Thread
Instagram
deep.mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #387
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Champion

Quote:

Let me be the first to say, props for tracking your daily. I agree completely that the VW community needs more driving and less parking/stancing. Tracking your daily driven car forces you to carefully analyze the cost, comfort, and reliability implications for each modification.

Regarding the LSD, I completely agree that it's a big decision for those of us that daily our car. Both costs and logistics make it a challenge.
I'm like you in that I do nearly all of my own work, including clutch and rear main seal install, intake manifold removal for carbon cleaning, suspension, etc etc. I say nearly all my own work because there's always things like alignments, tire mounting/balancing, and then things like internal transaxle work.

When I finally decided to install an LSD, I went back and forth about installing it in the transmission myself. I was already planning on removal/re-installation of the trans to save on costs, and thought I could save some time by just doing it myself. At the end of the day, I didn't want to invest in specialty tools like bearing race pullers, etc. I ended up bringing the transmission to a reputable shop to do the LSD installation. Start to finish, it was a 3.5 day job. 1 day to remove the trans, 1.5 days for the shop to install the LSD, and 1 day to reinstall trans. (I have the exact work steps if you want them) Doing it this way allowed me to complete the install for $1500 (Peloquin LSD, fluid, bolts, install labor)

I will say this, that was some of the best money I've ever spent.

APR Stage 2 v2.4 93 tune, APR Cast Downpipe, DIY RSR Clutch, Peloquin LSD, iABED RMS, Carbonio Stage 1 Intake, Diesel Geek Sigma 6, SuperPro ALK, H&R 26mm/24mm swaybars, Subframe collar kit, Stoptech 309 Pads, Centric Rotors, TS Brake Bushing Kit, Motul RBF600 Fluid, Yokohama ad08r's on OZ 17" Omnia (Track), Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on Serrons(Street) Build Thread

Last edited by Ronnie_B; 04-05-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #388
DASVDUB
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
^^ lmao at comfortability and reliability. I daily and track my DD. My dd also doesn't have a back seat or anything behind the driver's seat really. It's lifted in the winter and hasn't *knocks on wood* left me stranded or broken down. You good.
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|Borla catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|Mud Flaps|Tiguan H&R lift springs (winter)
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #389
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
^^ lmao at comfortability and reliability. I daily and track my DD. My dd also doesn't have a back seat or anything behind the driver's seat really. It's lifted in the winter and hasn't *knocks on wood* left me stranded or broken down. You good.
*Clarification* Comfortable for the 3 and 5 year olds in the back seat.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #390
DASVDUB
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
Quote:
*Clarification* Comfortable for the 3 and 5 year olds in the back seat.
O wow yeah. Minor detail
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|Borla catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|Mud Flaps|Tiguan H&R lift springs (winter)
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:33 PM   #391
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Let me be the first to say, props for tracking your daily. I agree completely that the VW community needs more driving and less parking/stancing. Tracking your daily driven car forces you to carefully analyze the cost, comfort, and reliability implications for each modification.

Regarding the LSD, I completely agree that it's a big decision for those of us that daily our car. Both costs and logistics make it a challenge.
I'm like you in that I do nearly all of my own work, including clutch and rear main seal install, intake manifold removal for carbon cleaning, suspension, etc etc. I say nearly all my own work because there's always things like alignments, tire mounting/balancing, and then things like internal transaxle work.

When I finally decided to install an LSD, I went back and forth about installing it in the transmission myself. I was already planning on removal/re-installation of the trans to save on costs, and thought I could save some time by just doing it myself. At the end of the day, I didn't want to invest in specialty tools like bearing race pullers, etc. I ended up bringing the transmission to a reputable shop to do the LSD installation. Start to finish, it was a 3.5 day job. 1 day to remove the trans, 1.5 days for the shop to install the LSD, and 1 day to reinstall trans. (I have the exact work steps if you want them) Doing it this way allowed me to complete the install for $1500 (Peloquin LSD, fluid, bolts, install labor)

This is awesome input! Thank you.

I install most of my own stuff with a few exceptions being the turbo (i wanted the tune at the same time) and the clutch... as well as the meth.

For me the big deciding factor on doing the install myself vs someone else is time. I am an Army guy and dont have much leeway on not having a ride to a location. If a job is going to put my car out of service for more than two days i usually get it done somewhere else.

The LSD will be next. Possibly with a new clutch (or at least TOB). I have also been playing around with idea of installing a new 6th gear for driving efficiency.

I should mention the last part is because in a year i plan to go coast to coast in under 33 hours (SD to Jacksonville)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
I think this is one of the best parts about the GTI... it covers alot of bases other cars dont even come close. How many people track the same car they drive in the snow all while averaging >30mpg

Radical Edward
Old 04-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #392
sauceman101
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 UG GTI 6MT
Quote:

Just need a mig welder to run a bead on the bearings, and they'll warp enough to remove easily. The oven and freezer are your friends for doing work inside a transmission. Personally, I only needed a good dial gauge to set the preload, pretty certain that and a very good drill bit sized correctly for the diff itself were the only things I needed that I didn't already have in a fairly typical garage setup. Needed more specialty tools to do the CCT and timing cover work.
2010 UG GTI 6MT: Peloquin LSD, APR Stage 1, DIY RSR Clutch, VWR Streetsport+, IE Camber Plates, 034M Front End Links, Hotchkis RSB, APR Carbino Intake, HPA Subframe Puck, 034M SD Mounts, Enkei PF01s AWE DP, Magnaflow CBE
sauceman101 is offline   Reply With Quote