GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - SoCalPorting K04 Turbo Port, Polish & Exhaust System Coating

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Background:
Over this past summer, the CCTA TSI engine in my 2011 MK6 GTI decided that valve and piston should meet face to face, literally grenading my engine on the highway. The culprit, either a failed upper timing chain tensioner or improper timing after a VW dealership upper timing chain upgrade. One month later I picked up my car with a brand new, 2013 build date, CCTA TSI long block engine, all under warranty. I should have the latest, revised timing chain tensioners with other superseded parts in addition to the newly classified yellow dipstick for unleaded gasoline engines.

APR K04:
While my warranty was being processed, I decided to send my K04 back to APR who inspected the unit to make sure I didn’t blow my turbo with metal shavings through the oil line and into the cartridge. After my K04 got a clean bill of health I ordered a fresh set of install hardware and replaced a broken N75 valve. While waiting for my new engine, I spent a lot of time researching possible turbo upgrades and came across an IHI turbo owner who ported and polished his turbo with great results and a thread aptly named “The stock turbo porting thread, or make your K03 suck a lot less”.

Port & Polish:
I contacted a few businesses with well documented feedback for their input on porting and polishing the K04 turbo. After speaking with Ruben Fernandez at SoCalPorting, I decided to pull the trigger to see how the K04 would react to a port and polish job. While there was a risk of how the turbo would react with software calibrated for an unmodified K04 turbo (overboost condition), I decided to refrain from porting the wastegate since we don’t have an inherent boost creep issue with the IHI or K04 turbos. Ruben at SoCalPorting said the manifold and turbine looked well designed and since I was not suffering from boost creep, wastegate porting would actually harm the turbo’s performance and would possibly require a custom retune. Simply put, boost creep is the gradual increase in boost pressure while the car is under constant boost. Overboost happens when the boost pressure generated by the turbocharger is much more than expected. The result is a dangerous level of boost, which can damage the engine if the fuel system is inadequate. So what is actually performed then? SoCalPorting inspected and disassembled the K04, ported several areas and included in the price was an exhaust coating with 2 coats of -Techline Turbo X-.

Areas For Port & Polish:
-Turbo compressor side ported at the inlet (intake connection) and outlet (TOP connection)
-Turbo exhaust side ported at the inlet and outlet (downpipe connection)
-Exhaust manifold gasket matched with 1.5" diameter

Benefits From Port & Polish:
-Faster turbo spool by 200-600 rpm (confirmed)
-Increased horsepower and torque (advertised, TBD)
-Increased gas mileage (advertised, TBD)
-Keeps the external stock look

Areas For Exhaust Coating:
-Turbo hot side (outside and inside)
-Exhaust manifold (outside and inside)

Benefits For Exhaust Coating:
-Greatly decreases engine bay temperatures (advertised, TBD)
-Turbo exhaust side will retain heat more which increases exhaust gas velocity (advertised, TBD)
-Exhaust coating will protect the turbo from corrosion (confirmed)

Wastegate Cracking Pressure & Installation:
After consulting APR, their feedback was that separating the K04 turbo manifold from the CHRA (center hub rotating assembly) can be quite a task, and sometimes one that will not result in the turbo going back together properly, especially if it's been heat cycled quite a bit. There was a stated risk that doing so can throw off some of the wastegate settings and preload which may cause under or over boosting. When I discussed this with Ruben at SoCalPorting he replied: “The K04, in my opinion, is one of the easiest turbos to take apart and reassemble. I have done many for both the Audi and VW community. The wastegate actuator is always left alone and I do not mess with it.” I wanted to ensure that the wastegate was properly calibrated so Redline Speed Worx in Washington, NJ performed a wastegate cracking pressure test prior to installation. As per APR’s spec, the wastegate should crack or begin to open 0.016” at 6psi of pressure. Redline Speed Worx allowed me to watch how they set the cracking pressure, and as expected, they delivered with dead on accuracy. Once the K04 was installed and flashed with APR’s V2.2 K04 software file, it was recommended by Ruben at SoCalPorting to cure the exhaust coating by letting the car idle for 10 min then allowing it to cool. Once cool, I drove the car around for 30 min staying out of boost and then allowed it to cool again. I can’t tell you how hard it was to stay out of boost during my first drive with a ported turbo and with my K04 back on the car in general. After that I was free to beat the coating and the hotter it got the better.

Software Calibration:
Off the shelf K04 software files have certain calibration targets for airflow based on the output of the turbo, so in theory I should see that my system will request less boost than the average K04 car to achieve the same airflow calibration targets. This can be beneficial since the system would be working less for the same result. A turbo working less generates less heat, which results in lower intake air temps, which can yield more power at the same mass airflow (hence the benefit of intercoolers).

VagCom Logs:
-CLICK HERE- for a direct download to VagCom logs for three 2K-6K rpm pulls in 3rd gear, showing that my system is requesting less boost as it is easily meeting and even slightly exceeding the specified calibration targets for airflow. Now some may consider that the higher actual boost values lead to somewhat of a mild “overboost” condition but I have not thrown any overboost codes and I’ve had several industry experts review the data. Their only comment was “look at those IATs!” Yes, we’ve had single digit weather in the Northeast. How I had traction to run VagCom logs with traction control turned off in 3rd, I have no idea… Even with boost exceeding requested boost targets, I have not been advised to manually adjust wastegate actuator preload nor do I see the need for a manual boost controller. Since porting the turbo will obviously allowing more air volume to enter the motor, I am also going to make sure it’s not leaning it out too much. Being that the K04 software will know that there is more air volume (running lean), it will want adjust fuel to compensate. With our sufficient TSI fuel systems, I am not too worried but I plan to log my car further once it warms up to check AFR, fueling, MAF, throttle, ignition, etc.

Full photo albums:
SoCalPorting http://www.flickr.com/photos/108514195@N05
HYDE16 http://www.flickr.com/photos/93671368@N07/sets/72157640023340794/

Disassembled and Cleaned Up:

Exhaust Manifold Gasket Matched at 1.5" Diameter:

Turbo Exhaust Side Ported at Inlet:

Coated Exhaust Manifold:

Turbo Completed & Assembled:

Exhaust Manifold Gasket Matched at 1.5" Diameter:

Turbo Exhaust Side Ported at Outlet (Downpipe Connection):

Turbo Compressor Side Ported at Inlet (Intake Connection):

Turbo Compressor Side Ported at Outlet (TOP Connection):

Redline Speed Worx Wastegate Cracking Pressure Adjustment:

APR K04 Wastegate Cracking Pressure = 0.016” at 6psi:

Dyno Results:
My baseline numbers below will be much lower than what APR typically advertises due to the type of dyno used. I have local access to a Mainline AWD 1800 chassis dynamometer at Xenocron Tuning in Hillburn, NY. This dyno was selected to set baseline numbers for my upcoming Part 2 review titled, HYDE16 Reviews - HPA 2.0T Performance Intake Manifold. Again, I am solely focused on the HP and TQ delta after adding only the HPA 2.0T Performance Intake Manifold without changing any other aspect of the car. Once my remaining performance mods are added later this year, I will be shooting for the highest HP & TQ numbers on a different dyno to fall in line with or exceed advertised K04 HP & TQ numbers. For a background on the Mainline AWD 1800 chassis dynamometer used for the dyno chart below, please see my “Proper Dyno Testing” thread.

SoCalPorting Port, Polish & Ceramic Coating Overall Results and Recommendations:
Was it worth it? Honestly, this definitely makes difference in the power onset and overall output feeling. I for one am not planning on going with a larger turbo so I’m all about increasing efficiency or squeezing every morsel of power out of this amazing K04 turbo without affecting longevity or durability of the components. Because of the porting and ceramic coating, boost comes on a little quicker and stronger (faster spool). I believe that my peak HP may be in line with other K04 GTIs who have shown Mainline dyno numbers but I’ve been told my peak torque may be a little higher and my midrange is a bit stronger too. The extra midrange is the main advantage of the porting work since we are limited by the physical size of the turbo and the amount of air it can move in the upper rev range. Overall I am pretty content with these results and love living in the midrange power band. The other benefits I listed above are enough for me and there is a definite “I feel it” moment when driving the car now. The goal is so that the turbo can work less for the same result, thus generating less heat, resulting in lower intake air temps, yielding more power at the same mass airflow. I am absolutely blown away at how the K04 spools quicker and how smooth the mid-range power is overall.

Stay tuned to next week’s Part 2 review titled, HYDE16 Reviews - HPA 2.0T Performance Intake Manifold with final dyno numbers to show the HP and TQ delta after adding only the HPA 2.0T Performance Intake Manifold. Stay tuned to my build thread in my signature for the final HP & TQ numbers on a different dyno once my remaining performance mods are added later this year.

BONUS - PTP Turbo’s K04 Lava Turbo Blanket:
Knowing that I would have the exhaust coating on my K04, I had previously researched other ways to reduce engine bay temperatures and increase exhaust gas temperatures (EGT) for faster possible turbo spool. The most popular turbo upgrade seemed to be a turbo blanket as its non-permanent and an easy DIY upgrade. After researching brands with the best feedback I came across a 2011 Import Tuner article called ”Turbocharger Heat Shielding - Fact or Fiction” where they tested PTP Turbo Blankets and found power and torque increases as well as a spool time decreases.

Curious of the impact and benefits of running a turbo blanket on such a small turbo (K04 or K03), I decided to ship my APR K04 to PTP Turbo Blankets in Texas so they could design and ultimately offer a line of K04 specific turbo blankets for our community. I believe adding the turbo blanket (independent of an exhaust system coating) will absolutely have a worthwhile effect. Is the turbo blanket overkill with an exhaust coating? Could be, but I feel the coating will work well to insulate any leftover radiant heat inside the engine bay. PTP Turbo also had a great explanation under the FAQ section of their website. Would you recommend installing a turbo blanket/heat wrap over ceramic coating? Yes. Our turbo blankets and wraps have been proven through extensive testing to be much more effective than ceramic coating in isolating exhaust heat and reducing under hood temperatures. However, if you already have ceramic coating, the additive effect of using the turbo blanket/wrap, as well, would only increase the beneficial effects.

For the full PTP Turbo Blankets K04 Lava Turbo Blanket background, please visit my reviews below.
Vortex - “HYDE16 Reviews - PTP Turbo Blankets K04 Lava Turbo Blanket”.
GolfMK6 - “HYDE16 Reviews - PTP Turbo Blankets K04 Lava Turbo Blanket”.
GolfMK5 - “HYDE16 Reviews - PTP Turbo Blankets K04 Lava Turbo Blanket”.
Audizine - “HYDE16 Reviews - PTP Turbo Blankets K04 Lava Turbo Blanket”.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
Nice.. the big question is, how much did that all run you?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
someone probably asked, but do they make a stock turbo blanket yet?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
How did you get a CCTA? thought our area of the states of CBFA!

great write up.

I'm currently in that limbo of deciding to get another car or slap another turbo onto the GTI. I absolutely love this car, I just need more power.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
How did you get a CCTA? thought our area of the states of CBFA!

great write up.

I'm currently in that limbo of deciding to get another car or slap another turbo onto the GTI. I absolutely love this car, I just need more power.

I had a CCTA from the start so they warrantied what I had.

Go BT.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
do you have a k03 baseline before k04 on that same dyno?

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I do not but I am currently at the dyno to check the HPA manifold delta as we speak.

I've asked Lucas_R to contribute to this thread as he has seen many MK6 Golf R's use this Mainline dyno for K04 results.

When will you be posting the HPA manifold results?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
All great info and love the detail.

Thank you, it takes me forever to write these and hyperlink but once in the mode I go straight through until it's done.

shit, that ain't bad at all!. Is that the normal price from that place, or did you get a deal?

That is the normal price right off the website. I got a $50 discount when I referred some club friends to him through email.

When will you be posting the HPA manifold results?

Next week, I just got off the dyno for round 2. Now I need to process all of the data and write it all up for my post next Friday. Basically, there is a gain to be had with strictly bolting the HPA manifold on a car with a K04 or higher. OEM IHI / K03 turbos I can't speak to. My review will only showcase the delta in HP & TQ when swapping the manifold and keeping the same software. HPA is developing a performance software to fully maximize the additional plenum volume and equalized runner airflow.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Ryan - the K04 looks great: port/polish and coating all look top notch. If my turbo weren't already installed, I would definitely go down the same route. I mean, the P&P costs less than the PTP Blanket!! It's a no brainer.

It's unfortunate we couldn't get a baseline dyno before the P&P. Maybe another member with an APR K04 and similar setup has dyno'd on it before?

Excited to see part two...

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Ryan - the K04 looks great: port/polish and coating all look top notch. If my turbo weren't already installed, I would definitely go down the same route. I mean, the P&P costs less than the PTP Blanket!! It's a no brainer.

It's unfortunate we couldn't get a baseline dyno before the P&P. Maybe another member with an APR K04 and similar setup has dyno'd on it before?

Excited to see part two...

Albert,

If you, Nick, Mike, Charles or John are willing to come up to this dyno, I can get you in for a straight comparison, we seem to all run the same supporting hardware.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
I had a CCTA from the start so they warrantied what I had.

Go BT.

i don't love the car that much to drop another $10-15k to get BT power and put it somewhat to the ground