GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dude's R Build

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
thank god the rim isnt touched.

It was so loud that I would have bet my life the wheel was bent but it doesn't even have a scratch. Guess I'll count my blessings:D

I'm probably going to bust out the trusty widow maker and throw the stock talledegas back on so I can get around until I can get a new tire. I'll probably need at least 2 because the Michilin PSS have about 15-20k on them.

Is the squeak up front ?, mine was the strut mount bearing, squeak stopped after I changed it out on my old GTI
Yep. It's up front. Thanks for the suggestion. I hope it'll get sorted out once I change out struts/springs and put in the bearings and mounts.

Last edited:

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
It's not hard to spend $15K in mods. They really add up very quickly, and sometimes the car still looks stock ;)

How do you like the VWR swaybars? It seems APR no longer sells them. I picked up a set for my Mk5 GTI and am waiting for some time to install them. Previously had H&R swaybars but I found them too stiff.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
I've been thinking about holding off on trying to put these in... I've honestly been loving my stock suspension lately. The whole reason I picked these up was a squeak started manifesting going over bumps in the freezing temps. I don't know if it was the strut mounts, or the VWR sways, or what the hell was squeaking but it's not happening at al now.

So do I A.) sell these and use the money for other mods B.) hang onto them and install after my stock components take another beating this winter or C.) just have them put in.

The Koni FSDs are good dampers and work as advertised. I had the Pro-Kit version with Eibach springs bundled. Problem is, the left front damper was shot after 2 years. I've heard that they are only really designed for damping with stock springs at stock height.

I've had a chance to ride in an APR Stage 3 Golf R with 400hp and 400tq. Amazing. The AWD really is a great platform for extra power. Wish I could say that about my Mk5 :cry:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
The Koni FSDs are good dampers and work as advertised. I had the Pro-Kit version with Eibach springs bundled. Problem is, the left front damper was shot after 2 years. I've heard that they are only really designed for damping with stock springs at stock height.

I've had a chance to ride in an APR Stage 3 Golf R with 400hp and 400tq. Amazing. The AWD really is a great platform for extra power. Wish I could say that about my Mk5 :cry:

How much drop did your eibach's have? The VWR are between 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch.

Edit- just saw your other post. I like the VWR sways. They are adjustable so I have soft up front and stiff in the rear. Soft is still like 15% stiffer than stock iirc. If the H&R's were not adjustable then VWR might be god for you.

Last edited:

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
How much drop did your eibach's have? The VWR are between 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch.

Edit- just saw your other post. I like the VWR sways. They are adjustable so I have soft up front and stiff in the rear. Soft is still like 15% stiffer than stock iirc. If the H&R's were not adjustable then VWR might be god for you.

I believe the Eibach dropped 1.25" from stock height, or 0.25" lower than Euro MkV height.

The H&R bars were adjustable, but both adjustments were too stiff in my opinnion. Can't wait to put these VWR swaybars on!

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
After I removed the wheel, I saw that the inside of the wheel is bent a little:(

Took the wheel to a wheel shop and it's bent enough to cause a wobble. I'm getting it straightened for $180. Seems steep but I don't really know because I've never had to repair a wheel before. The only other time I hit a pothole hard enough to damage the wheel was in 2003 with my mk4 and that was unrepairable... I guess all in all I've had pretty good luck with wheels.

jp0319

Go Kart Champion

I had the FSD / H&R Sports on my GTI for about 3ish years with no problem. This could have been different however given my current road conditions. I just installed Bilstein PSS coils and I am wondering if I should have kept stock suspension. The roads here in IA are so horrible, I get nervous every day driving, dodging the huge holes and cracks in the pavement :mad0259:. I dont know how long the FSDs would last under the current torture my car is enduring.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I had the FSD / H&R Sports on my GTI for about 3ish years with no problem. This could have been different however given my current road conditions. I just installed Bilstein PSS coils and I am wondering if I should have kept stock suspension. The roads here in IA are so horrible, I get nervous every day driving, dodging the huge holes and cracks in the pavement :mad0259:. I dont know how long the FSDs would last under the current torture my car is enduring.

Roads here ain't so pretty either... I'm still debating staying stock. Would the FSD's wear quicker than stock?

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
So the 034 strut mounts were not installed with tabs in the correct position causing all kinds of clunking. The stock mounts were put back on with tabs in the correct position and that clunking went away so it is a lot more tolerable to drive. Sadly, this means I cannot say for sure if the 034 mounts were faulty because I did not test them in the correct position. This was due to time constraints. Ideally I would have tested them in the correct position before reverting to stock.

Unfortunately, there is some metal on metal clunking/tapping when going over weird terrain. I cannot yet reproduce this consistently... I think it is the sway bar hitting something ... Maybe the control arm, but not sure...

Appogee

Ready to race!
I took my car in to the dealer to diagnose the issues. I even brought my stock parts in case they couldn't get things perfect with the new struts/springs. Turns out that they just needed to tighten a few bolts. I swore we tightened everything but I guess not. In any case, my R is driving like butter. Silky smooth.

Life is good again:D

Lol I know the feeling. Didn't do it personally but installed some coilovers with the help of my cousin in-law whose a import (not euro) mechanic. Man, thanks to rust and general car wear and tear, I swear the noise in cabin has never been as quiet even with all the fixing.