GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 04-27-2014, 02:44 AM   #1
DarianBx3
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI DSG
Driver's Edition in Carbon Steel Grey - 4 Door DSG

Last edited by DarianBx3; 06-01-2016 at 10:51 PM.
DarianBx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
DarianBx3

Modifications

Software
APR Stage II ECU Tune - v 2.4 running 93
APR DSG Tune - v1.6
APR Mobile

Engine Hardware
APR Carbonio Intake Stage I & II
APR Downpipe
GFB DV+

OEM R8 Coil Packs
NGK PFR7S8EG Plugs gapped to .028" - less than stock gap by .04"

Engine Accessories
BFI Stage I Full Mount Kit

Suspension
DG Springs
Hotchkis Sway Bars - Front on soft, Rear on medium
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
TyrolSport Deadset Subframe Collars (front and rear kits)
Current tire: Michelin PSS 225/40/18

Interior
deAutoKey Interior LED Kit, Blue footwells

Exterior
25% Tint
Dark cherry LED tail lights
Front red stripes painted black

VAG COM Tweaks
..... Windows down/up through key
..... DRL turn on/off through MFI
..... Comfort turn signal set to four
..... Cornering fog lights
..... Steering wheel mute button
..... Lights shut off with vehicle
..... Horn lock confirmation delete

Last edited by DarianBx3; 01-11-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
shdwblugti
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 2016 non DSGhey R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarianBx3 View Post
Went back to my dealer to have them flash transmission back to stock. Trying to pinpoint some issues.
What issue?
shdwblugti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Sounds good, where are the pics??
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
DarianBx3

Updated with pics.

Last edited by DarianBx3; 05-30-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:20 AM   #6
DarianBx3

So just got my APR downpipe installed today.

First with performance, this thing rips. It is definitely noticeable, especially in the low end.

Sound? I honestly thought it would be louder. I even wish it was to some extent. But DAMN is the actual sound is awesome. The only way I know how to describe it is that it is just the perfect pitch. Just the right amount of growl. Makes the car a lot meaner.

Hands down go buy a downpipe. I LOVE it.

Last edited by DarianBx3; 06-02-2016 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:19 AM   #7
mikeleemk6
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Shadow Blue GTI MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarianBx3 View Post
So just got my APR downpipe installed today. Paid 400 for installation. But DAMN, this thing is nice.

First with performance, this thing rips. It is definitely noticeable, especially in the low end.

Sound? I honestly thought it would be louder. I even wish it was to some extent. But DAMN is the actual sound is awesome. The only way I know how to describe it is that it is just the perfect pitch. Just the right amount of growl. Makes the car a lot meaner.

Hands down go spend 1100 on a downpipe. I LOVE it.

Looks good. But damn, $400 for a downpipe install? You should have tried it yourself to save some coin. I did it with jackstands in 2.5 hours.
mikeleemk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:38 PM   #8
DarianBx3

This weekend my car needed an oil change, so I figured I might as well do a couple other things while I'm at it. I am just about at 24K miles.

Oil change:
5th oil change in total, used '5W 40 Motul 8100 X-Cess' that I got from Amazon, as well as the latest revision OEM filter. Actually used one of those oil pumps this time. They are kinda sick!

GFB DV+
I bought this a while ago from modded euros, but was hesitant installing it when I saw some people had problems with it. I know it's the latest revision from GFB, if that helps. Wasn't hard to install, use jack stands and it takes maybe 45 minutes max. For reference, my stock DV was revision C.

Thing is sick, go get one. I didn't get any codes (thankfully), and don't have any sketchy pigeon sounds. It definitely works. I recommend it!

'BFI Stage I Engine Mount kit'
Bought the whole kit straight from BFI. Almost bought the Stage II (track density) kit.

Install is dead easy with the right tools. Torque insert isn't bad if you are smart about it. Took, 2-3 hours? Lmao, took me a while to 'get smart about it'. When I got in the car, I had a steering light, traction control, and some other sketchy lights on. Before I drove out of my driveway, they were gone.

REVIEW? Seriously, go buy engine mounts. As stiff as you can find em. The difference is night and day. Coming in, I mainly wanted to get rid of wheel hop, but it does so much more. (Wheel hop is GONE, btw. Like GONE). The whole drivetrain just feels tighter, more articulate. You FEEL what the DSG does, you FEEL the different things that happen, versus the mush & dumpster feelings the stock mounts have. (SERIOUSLY, the stock mounts are akin to straight chewing gum out of someones mouth. You can squeeze the shit in your hand. I could bend the things MAX in either direction, in my hands. The BFI mounts? They didn't budge!) I am sure the 6MT guys feel a much better increase in responsiveness from the transmission, but it is still a huge upgrade on the DSG. I love it. This is one of those mods that will make you wish you did it earlier.

As for vibes? NVH? I was expecting it to be BAD. Remember, I did all 3 at once. I was scared, but excited at the same time. In reality, it really isn't bad at all. There is some resonance, a little NVH at idle, and reverse is exacerbated. Basically, everything you read is true. But to a lesser extent I feel. Everyone exaggerates! And the NVH that you now have, ITS AWESOME! If you close your eyes, you can get that racecar vibe. Reminds me personally of those stripped to shit track oriented Aston Martins. RACECAR, MAN!

TLDR: Get the track density / stage II instead. Racecar >

Other:
The back portion / Stage II Carbonio intake piece always hit my brake reservoir causing it to rattle like shit all the time. This happens to a LOT of people. I moved one mount spot from back to front, after reading the suggestion in some other thread here. (So in the picture, it used to be mounted BEHIND the thing it is now mounted to. I made sure there wasn't any stress on the actual pipe. Don't want that hoe to crack!) BUT, I believe the rattle is gone!!! So, success!

Last edited by DarianBx3; 05-30-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:50 PM   #9
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
I had the same issue with that intake. Slotted that hole to raise it up and used a flat washer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:27 AM   #10
Pmanpop
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 Vw GTI
Nice reviews
Mods: OEM led Golf R Tails, Magnaflow CBE, Whiteline 24mm Rear Sway Bar, Koni Coilovers, BSH Pendulum mount, Neuspeed rse12 18x8 et45, 225/40/18 tires, rolled pulled bacon fenders, TTRS BBK, Giac stage 2 clutchbuster
Pmanpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:58 PM   #11
DarianBx3

Today I installed new spark plugs (smaller gap), and ordered some new parts! Some have been laying here a couple weeks, but have been holding off to do it all at once. Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Anti Lift, Tyrolsport Deadset front & back, and spulen wheel spacers all on the way. Then install, tire rotation, and alignment.

Also gave it a good wash, wax, and uploaded new pics!