GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 05-14-2014, 12:39 AM   #15
gjas18
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 Golf TDI Tech Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek13 View Post
Any good links you may be able to point me to?
Would love to read up some more on this.

Also I took a look at the link you showed before on the PLA 2.0 system and it has 12 sensors correct?
Where do the new sensors go?
It seems from the MK7 video you linked that some of them go in the door.

Once again you rock man this is some great info that will benefit the whole community.
PLA 1.5 which our cars had in europe (parallel assist only) only had two sensors in the side of the front bumper right above the sidemarkers. 2.0 adds two more to the sides of the rear bumper. So yes 12 sensors total,

Here's one of the sites where someone was discussing it. He chickened out though because of having to grind the side marker down... Makes no sense to me since there is plenty of space between the PLA outline and the sidemarker. http://forums.kilometermagazine.com/...retrofit/page3

Last edited by gjas18; 05-14-2014 at 04:09 AM.
gjas18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:19 AM   #16
Cal2000
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 13' GTI 4DR AUTOBAHN
Great DIY! Thx!
Cal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:34 AM   #17
Timo
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 R
How would the sensors fit into the grill of the front R bumper? Would you need to buy additional clips or something?
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:38 AM   #18
gjas18
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
How would the sensors fit into the grill of the front R bumper? Would you need to buy additional clips or something?
I just looked at a picture of the inside of a R bumper on ebay and it looks like they go on in the same way as the non R. Slightly different locations and the wire harness might take a little more creativity to run and clip in but should be just as easy.

That said it looks like the sidemarkers are in different locations on the R so PLA might be harder if you wanted to add it.

edit: I found a thread where someone circled the location on their car... http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14651
Old 05-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #19
Timo
Autocross Champion

ya looks like it's integrated into the grills. Found some pics that show them more clearly. Any idea if these are parts that can be bought for mounting the sensors into the grill like that?

Old 05-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #20
gjas18
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
ya looks like it's integrated into the grills. Found some pics that show them more clearly. Any idea if these are parts that can be bought for mounting the sensors into the grill like that?
My guess would be you have to buy grills specifically for the parking sensors. The sensors slide and clip into the holders so I'm betting on the R there is a specific part number for grills with parking sensors that have the holders molded in. Best thing to do would be ask one of the people with an R that have the sensors.
On the bright side you wouldn't have to paint them since the sensors are black

You could always jerry rig something but it wouldnt look as clean as OEM.

edit: found this on ecs seems to be the lower center grill with sensors. The side grills they have dont appear to have the holders so those might be integrated into a different piece.

Last edited by gjas18; 05-24-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #21
Timo
Autocross Champion

You forgot to add the link but I think I found it.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...per/ES1878080/

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #22
gjas18
Drag Race Newbie

So I received my PLA 2.0 kit in the mail today... I will hopefully be able to test it today or tomorrow. Looks like I will need to lengthen one of the harnesses since it is only 18 inches long.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #23
rjohnson5481
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 13 GTI WB DSG
could this be used with the audible only? or would it be useless that way?
Old 05-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #24
gjas18
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnson5481 View Post
could this be used with the audible only? or would it be useless that way?
Park assist would be useless but if you get the 8 sensor kit yes it would work fine audible only. Even the lowline radios can show the OPS part even though it is a much more simplified display.

I looked at the coding for my RNS-315 and OPS is already turned on by default so the only coding required is the Park Module. You have to wire into CAN anyway so really no matter what on US cars you will get OPS unless you went to an aftermarket radio. Even then see this thread about an upcoming accessory to fix the factory integration part including parking sensors....
Old 05-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #25
rjohnson5481
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 13 GTI WB DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjas18 View Post
Park assist would be useless but if you get the 8 sensor kit yes it would work fine audible only. Even the lowline radios can show the OPS part even though it is a much more simplified display.

I looked at the coding for my RNS-315 and OPS is already turned on by default so the only coding required is the Park Module. You have to wire into CAN anyway so really no matter what on US cars you will get OPS unless you went to an aftermarket radio. Even then see this thread about an upcoming accessory to fix the factory integration part including parking sensors....
I'm having an ipad installed next week so using the radio is not an option. I'm going to run the back up camera to the rear view mirror so I'll live with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-28-2014, 03:55 AM   #26
gjas18
Drag Race Newbie

So I have got the coding to work. The sensors are all sitting in my passenger seat but I have the buttons and module wired in. Dunno why its showing a passat instead of a golf... gotta figure that one out

Old 06-06-2014, 06:02 AM   #27
gjas18
Drag Race Newbie

Alright so a small update on this... Everything is installed but one of the ABS sensors was bad and popped all sorts of warning lights. I graphed it using VCDS and its output was all over the place. So I have to wait for a replacement from china. Unless someone on here can get one for less than $100 ($150 at the dealer for just one). Same sensor the CC, EOS, and Tiguan use apparently. (WHT003858A)

Anyway before i went fast enough for the warning lights to go crazy I was able to attempt using park assist and it did turn the wheel and tried to park like it should. It just ended up halfway out in the street when it thought it was done because of the bad sensor. So hopefully I will have extra instructions in the DIY for this shortly.

Honestly not much different from the 8 sensor except the extra sensors and a code change in the ABS module and Steering Assist module.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #28
gjas18
Drag Race Newbie

Figured I'd post a reply so anyone subscribed knows that I added the PLA 2.0 instructions to the DIY. Let me know if you have any questions.