GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #29
relicstrat
Autocross Newbie
 
relicstrat's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 CW GTI Autobahn DSG 4dr
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Laguna Hills, SoCal
Posts: 82
Here is 2013R's youtube video on how to do the DSG fluid change. Vagcom temp monitoring starts at 15:01 of the video.


__________________
Randy
Depo LED tails | OEM Euro front lip spoiler | OPD sequential LED Mirror turn signals & puddle lights | Euro Headlight Switch | LED Interior | Gauge Sweep | LED interior door warning lights | DG Springs | Ross-Tech Micro-Can cable | 2001 Suburban | 1991 Z28 Camaro
relicstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #30
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver
 
zrickety's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: GA 31015
Posts: 5,051
I had a leak and had to replace that o-ring again. The torque specs are 15 ft lb for the filter housing, 33 ft lb for that drain plug (use new aluminum washer).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs999 View Post
He's a real straight shooter, no monkey business, and the wheel swap at the Kohl's parking lot was quick and easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #31
zsm722
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 CSG 4dr GTI w/DSG
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: East Bay + La Jolla, CA
Posts: 414
I'm about to do this next weekend so thanks for the tips. Instead of monitoring in VAGCOM you can also use an IR thermometer and point it at the case


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
> BUILD THREAD
2010 CSG GTI Neuspeed P-Flo (Red)/USP Catted Downpipe/Neuspeed Catback/18x8ET45 OZ Ultraleggeras/CSG Lower Valence + Sidemarkers/OEM Bi-Xenon conversion/LED City+Turns
1995 Mercedes-Benz S420 (Black/Gray) Clear Corners / Euro Taillights / W220 AMG Monoblock I / Custom Grille
zsm722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:03 AM   #32
0-60Motorsports
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: VW Golf R MK6, 04 M3cs
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 122
Excellent DIY and info here. Just a question, So after the DSG oil change if the temp is 45c or above in VAGCOM does that mean i have overfilled the DSG box? And have to drain it a bit as shown in the video? Thanks.
0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:49 AM   #33
0-60Motorsports
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: VW Golf R MK6, 04 M3cs
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 122
Also, Is there a way to be sure about the amount of fluid actually needed even after we measure how much came out? I mean is there a way to tell the Box has the right amount of fluid required after filling up with new fluid. Thanks.
0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #34
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver
 
zrickety's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: GA 31015
Posts: 5,051
I would say it's more important to drain and fill normally than to try a flush and measure temps, or even measure what comes out. What if the level was low or too high and you replicate it?? The fluid can be done at room temperature. Once the special piece is back in the drain, it won't come out until the level is full.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs999 View Post
He's a real straight shooter, no monkey business, and the wheel swap at the Kohl's parking lot was quick and easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.

Last edited by zrickety; 06-02-2015 at 08:31 PM.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #35
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite
 
maxtdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 18,567
Guys this whole temperature issue is completely overblown...
Open up a factory filled room temp DSG and it will piss fluid, mine sure as hell did.

Once you refill it at room temperature, and you drain everything past the snorkle you will be LESS full than the factory fill.

If you get it up to 45C and drain then, you will be LESS full than even prior.

Frankly it doesn't fking matter. I have yet to hear of a factory car that wasn't "overfilled" and guess what nothing fking happened... these things have an emergency drain built into them anyways.
__________________
2011 TDI - DSG/// Only Option- Mudguards.
Mods:Blk HIDs, LED Tails, 17" Sparcos, RNS510, JL Stealthbox.
maxtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:31 AM   #36
0-60Motorsports
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: VW Golf R MK6, 04 M3cs
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
I would say it's more important to drain and fill normally than to try a flush and measure temps, or even measure what comes out. What if the level was low or too high and you replicate it?? The fluid can be done at room temperature. Once the special piece is back in the drain, it won't come out until the level is full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtdi View Post
Guys this whole temperature issue is completely overblown...
Open up a factory filled room temp DSG and it will piss fluid, mine sure as hell did.

Once you refill it at room temperature, and you drain everything past the snorkle you will be LESS full than the factory fill.

If you get it up to 45C and drain then, you will be LESS full than even prior.

Frankly it doesn't fking matter. I have yet to hear of a factory car that wasn't "overfilled" and guess what nothing fking happened... these things have an emergency drain built into them anyways.
Thanks for your inputs gents. Was just trying to understand the process before I ask my tech to assist me to do this (So i can take pics). With the heat getting up to 122f yesterday I need to do this.......yesterday lol.

I'll update the thread once the parts and ol arrives.....Thank you again.
0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:50 PM   #37
bigkielbasa
Go Kart Newbie
 
Drives: 2014 Golf TDI
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 34
I've got a long way to go to 40k (around 4200 now), but have been looking into how I'll handle the 40k DSG service. Just wanted to say how much I appreciate threads like this.

Sorry if this is off topic, but do you guys do your own work on the other required stuff at the 30k and 40k?
bigkielbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:42 PM   #38
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite
 
maxtdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 18,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkielbasa View Post
I've got a long way to go to 40k (around 4200 now), but have been looking into how I'll handle the 40k DSG service. Just wanted to say how much I appreciate threads like this.

Sorry if this is off topic, but do you guys do your own work on the other required stuff at the 30k and 40k?
What are you asking?

The DSG service is every 40k.
__________________
2011 TDI - DSG/// Only Option- Mudguards.
Mods:Blk HIDs, LED Tails, 17" Sparcos, RNS510, JL Stealthbox.
maxtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #39
bigkielbasa
Go Kart Newbie
 
Drives: 2014 Golf TDI
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 34
Sorry I wasn't clear.

I know a lot of guys have done the DSG service(s) themselves at 40 and 80k, mainly because of the high cost of having it done at the dealer. I guess my question was pertaining to all of the other maintenance intervals - do most of you guys do your own oil changes, plugs, filter changes, et cetera? Or do you pay the dealer/local trusted guy to do the less-expensive stuff?
bigkielbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:45 PM   #40
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver
 
zrickety's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: GA 31015
Posts: 5,051
I do everything.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs999 View Post
He's a real straight shooter, no monkey business, and the wheel swap at the Kohl's parking lot was quick and easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #41
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite
 
maxtdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 18,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkielbasa View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear.

I know a lot of guys have done the DSG service(s) themselves at 40 and 80k, mainly because of the high cost of having it done at the dealer. I guess my question was pertaining to all of the other maintenance intervals - do most of you guys do your own oil changes, plugs, filter changes, et cetera? Or do you pay the dealer/local trusted guy to do the less-expensive stuff?
All depends on dealer etc. I let the dealer do the oil changes because they are cheaper than the parts for my TDI.
__________________
2011 TDI - DSG/// Only Option- Mudguards.
Mods:Blk HIDs, LED Tails, 17" Sparcos, RNS510, JL Stealthbox.
maxtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #42
JJSimp91
Newbie
 
Drives: 2011 Golf TDI 6 Spd.
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 1
Maybe a stupid question here, but this would be the same method for a 6 speed manual TDI?
JJSimp91 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.