GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Build your own RSR clutch kit - Parts list

Stinger

Ready to race!
Did you opt for The reman pp kit? Seems like it based on price and request for core. Any worries about a reman?

Yes, it is a re manufactured and no, I don't know how it will hold over time. It's the $600 vs $1100 gamble... but I need to change the stock clutch now, cuz the slip is getting bad and I'm tracking in 3 weeks.

zrickety

The Fixer
... mk7 has nearly 80+ torque with the same tranny and whatever new oem clutch/pp it has
What do you want to bet the mk7 clutch uses these parts or anything better than the mk6? VW must have had many complaints with this 'weak' clutch.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Anybody have any updates on their install? Caulkalin, have you gotten your tune or stage 3 yet? Thanks!

I had to buy another ECU to get that tuned so I won't have any downtime, which took extra time but the tuned ECU should be in my hands this coming week

I put together mine aswell, but instead of the diesel disc used TTRS one. Mine is going into a tiguan 6mt so the imput shaft is different than GTI/R tranny. Im building an APR stage 3. Hope to have it in the ground this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you're using the whole TT-RS clutch?

Following Calkulin's lead, I have also sourced the parts from the clutch sold by HS Tuning. As far as I can tell these are the same parts. The clutch will be installed this weekend (I hope) so I will be able to update as I go.

The most troublesome and frustrating part to get was the pressure plate from PartSale out of Estonia which took almost 8 weeks to get here (240 Euros delivered). Their version of customer service is a far cry from what we're accustomed to in the US. In fact, after they had shipped the part they actually emailed me asking that I send the replaced parts to them... something about an exchange program they had failed to tell me up front. I told them I'd be happy to send them the part back as long as they pay shipping and handling... Havent' heard from them yet and I would suggest finding another source for that part.

Spareto for the disk - also from Estonia (I think): $195 super easy to deal with online.
AutoHausAZ for slave cylinder and pressure plate bolts: $93 also very easy to work with
Other bolts from Audi:$10

Total: $613 delivered. Not a bad deal in the end.

Congrats but yeah I agree with you on PartSale, I ordered something through them thinking I could save a little money and ended up waiting over 1 month extra than I originally thought it would take, essentially 2+ months of waiting to get the part and it was just a bracket, so yeah, I will never order from them again, no matter how cheap they are. Spareto was great tho, I got the clutch disc 2 days after ordering through them

interesting, their factory clutch/pressure plate supposedly holds up APR Stage 1 which has over 380lb/ft of torque with no problem
What do you want to bet the mk7 clutch uses these parts or anything better than the mk6? VW must have had many complaints with this 'weak' clutch.

The MK7's(Gen 3 TSI GLI also) use the 06J 141 015 J/X clutch kit, which uses the same clutch disc that the RSR clutch, just with a Sachs pressure plate. Also, it's now the stock replacement clutch for mostly all VW FSI/TSI's & Audi TFSI's

Stinger

Ready to race!
I took my clutch kit to ncampos976 who installed it for me in a couple hours. I highly recommend him if you're in the Bay Area! He has installed so many clutches I thought he was doing it with his eyes closed!
Though I'm glad he didn't 'cuz he found a couple anomalies with my belt housing which prompted me to take the car to VW this morning. Just got a call that they will replace the belt housing and a few other parts for free as part of my 50K miles warranty!

Anyway, the new clutch is a whole world different from the stock clutch... More foot pressure, more grip, solid through the rpm's. I will be gentle for another couple weeks when I go track my car.

POPSMK61

Ready to race!
I had to buy another ECU to get that tuned so I won't have any downtime, which took extra time but the tuned ECU should be in my hands this coming week

So you're using the whole TT-RS clutch?

Congrats but yeah I agree with you on PartSale, I ordered something through them thinking I could save a little money and ended up waiting over 1 month extra than I originally thought it would take, essentially 2+ months of waiting to get the part and it was just a bracket, so yeah, I will never order from them again, no matter how cheap they are. Spareto was great tho, I got the clutch disc 2 days after ordering through them

The MK7's(Gen 3 TSI GLI also) use the 06J 141 015 J/X clutch kit, which uses the same clutch disc that the RSR clutch, just with a Sachs pressure plate. Also, it's now the stock replacement clutch for mostly all VW FSI/TSI's & Audi TFSI's

So ordering part# 06J 141 015 J/X from this site www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/Clutch-plate-and-pressure-plate/5124673/06J141015JX.html would be ok? They are sellling it for $263.68. Will this be the same as the RSR clutch?

Nineeightgolf

Ready to race!

Is that basically what you are running from your other thread? It's essentially an upgraded disk with a standard sachs flywheel correct? I bet that would be fine for stage 2.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
So ordering part# 06J 141 015 J/X from this site www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/Clutch-plate-and-pressure-plate/5124673/06J141015JX.html would be ok? They are sellling it for $263.68. Will this be the same as the RSR clutch?

It uses the same clutch disk but different pressure plate(Sachs vs LuK), so it's not the same unfortunately

Is that basically what you are running from your other thread? It's essentially an upgraded disk with a standard sachs flywheel correct? I bet that would be fine for stage 2.

No, I'm running the same clutch disk with a LuK pressure plate that is slightly different than the TT-RS(RSR) one

POPSMK61

Ready to race!
It uses the same clutch disk but different pressure plate(Sachs vs LuK), so it's not the same unfortunately

No, I'm running the same clutch disk with a LuK pressure plate that is slightly different than the TT-RS(RSR) one

Do you think this will work on an MK6 just holding stage 1?

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Do you think this will work on an MK6 just holding stage 1?

It should as the Golf Rs and MK7s seem to be holding the added power the tuning adds for them but I don't spend a lot of time over there, so you may want to see what they are saying about their clutches to make sure. Either way though, it's better than the stock clutch yours and mine came with even though they look similar

POPSMK61

Ready to race!
It should as the Golf Rs and MK7s seem to be holding the added power the tuning adds for them but I don't spend a lot of time over there, so you may want to see what they are saying about their clutches to make sure. Either way though, it's better than the stock clutch yours and mine came with even though they look similar

MK7 clutch part# 06K141015BX
MK6/Golf R clutch part# 06J141015JX

Do you still think it will work on the MK6? If it does, I might just go this route since I do not plan going past stage 1. By the way, I appreciate all your work and keeping us informed on these clutches.

Last edited:

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
I took my clutch kit to ncampos976 who installed it for me in a couple hours. I highly recommend him if you're in the Bay Area! He has installed so many clutches I thought he was doing it with his eyes closed!
Though I'm glad he didn't 'cuz he found a couple anomalies with my belt housing which prompted me to take the car to VW this morning. Just got a call that they will replace the belt housing and a few other parts for free as part of my 50K miles warranty!

Anyway, the new clutch is a whole world different from the stock clutch... More foot pressure, more grip, solid through the rpm's. I will be gentle for another couple weeks when I go track my car.

oh wow, you pulled the trigger and sourced parts and made your own clone rsr clutch?? props man, that takes balls, very impressed. :thumbsup:

in for the review after break-in. I hope is awesome for you!!

Calkulin, respect to you for figuring this out and sharing the info.

Cwinne

Ready to race!
This will be the route I'm going, but my concern is the flywheel. I'm assuming you guys are having your oem dual mass flywheel turned....or I could be wrong.

Need to get parts ordered soon, been getting the 4th gear slips lately

Talguy

Go Kart Champion
Do what's the verdict on this? Is it working well for the people who installed it. I need a new clutch soon and possibly on the cheap. Also how can I tell if I need a new flywheel?

BlackedOutMkv

Ready to race!
I'm finally getting mine installed tomorrow. I've been slipping like madness for the past 10k miles and I am starting to slip in 2nd. So I went ahead and got a new flywheel.

I'll update you guys later this week! Thanks again Calkulin!