GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Hissing cylinder!

Hi, What would cause a hissing noise (think small nail in tyre) in cylinder #4 only? It can be heard with the plug removed but also a little with the plug still in place, my guess is crank pressure entering past the piston rings/oil ring, I have had a bit of oil fouling on the plug in this cylinder which was the reason I had a new head fitted but itís back again (the noise is new though), it makes the noise for about 5-10 minutes after switching off the engine, any thoughts?? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
Mk6 Steve
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 Black GTI coupe DSG
Auxiliary coolant pump??
APR V3.2, APR K04, Carbonio Stg 1+2 w/ AEM, APR RSC TBE, Do88 Ic, 034 Catch Can Kit (summer), OEM pcv "AH" (winter) AWE S3 top, Neuspeed charge pipe, Rev D, R8 coils w/ NGK 2668, 034 motor/trans mounts, HPA 75A, TyrolSport subframe and brake stiffening kit, Unibrace UB, Hotchkis/APR F+R sway bars, WALK, F+R Centric w/ StopTech Strt, USP SS brake lines, Depo dark cherry tails, ECS Blind Spot Mirrors, Enkei 18x8 black M52 w/ Conti DWS, Soundaktor delete, VCDS Hex-Can, P3 gauge
Mk6 Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk6 Steve View Post
Auxiliary coolant pump??

Donít think it would be that as the sound is (Iím 99% sure) emanating from the spark plug hole! Itís a Sort of Psst Pssst Psssssss Pssst Psss Psssss Psssst noise if thatís at all understandable? With other longer hissing in between.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #4
jettaglis
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '88 gli, '11 cc, '12 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
Donít think it would be that as the sound is (Iím 99% sure) emanating from the spark plug hole! Itís a Sort of Psst Pssst Psssssss Pssst Psss Psssss Psssst noise if thatís at all understandable? With other longer hissing in between.

Pcv valve- the little hole on the right side when looking at it. Try placing your finger over the little hole to see if any change. If so, just replace the pcv.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettaglis View Post
Pcv valve- the little hole on the right side when looking at it. Try placing your finger over the little hole to see if any change. If so, just replace the pcv.
It's a noise he can hear coming out of the cylinder with the engine off and the spark plug removed
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
jettaglis
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '88 gli, '11 cc, '12 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
It's a noise he can hear coming out of the cylinder with the engine off and the spark plug removed
Yea, that's exactly what I'm talking about too. The crank case pressure will
still try to escape, possibly past the rings out the top (spark plug hole) or through the pcv valve (if stuck).
Old 03-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettaglis View Post
Yea, that's exactly what I'm talking about too. The crank case pressure will
still try to escape, possibly past the rings out the top (spark plug hole) or through the pcv valve (if stuck).
Good point thanks for the info makes sense. I just remembered diagnosing bad PCV on my car when it was running and I could feel it sucking a ton of air through the pin hole to the right of the diaphragm cap.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #8
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Newbie

I checked the PCV myself recently and all seems good, I had an oil change today and they also checked the PCV and said itís good, the noise Iím hearing is only coming from cylinder #4, the other three donít do it, using google I canít find any info on an issue like this! Presumably itís crank pressure passing the rings? But as stated by one of you guys earlier the PCV should control the pressure, could it be the injector maybe??? Removing the oil filler or coolant cap doesnít alter or stop the noise either?????