GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

best battery for the money?

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
My 16 pound deka was under 100 bucks shipped, and has been on for about two years and around 40k miles. Granted, I don't use any kind of electronics with the car not running (par for the course with a lighteright battery), but it has never let me down.

How you guys are having so many issues with the OEM battery I have no idea. My stock one was taken out with over two years on it and probably 45k. It sat at my house for months, and then I traded it to a local for a pizza when I last moved and he is still using it without issue...

Avant

Ready to race!
My 16 pound deka was under 100 bucks shipped, and has been on for about two years and around 40k miles. Granted, I don't use any kind of electronics with the car not running (par for the course with a lighteright battery), but it has never let me down.

How you guys are having so many issues with the OEM battery I have no idea. My stock one was taken out with over two years on it and probably 45k. It sat at my house for months, and then I traded it to a local for a pizza when I last moved and he is still using it without issue...

Same one as this? http://etx16l.com/

Avant

Ready to race!
That's it. It's on eBay for $88 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response.

Did it need any custom fitting into the stock battery compartment or does it just sit there? And I imagine the leads go straight onto the battery terminals?

StigsFatAmericanCousin

Ready to race!
Just about all lead acid batteries are made by the same company. From the interwebz so you know it's true:

"Johnson controls also makes some or all of these batteries as well.
Acura, Advance Auto Parts, Autocraft, Western Auto, Tough One, Alliance, American Hardware, Ames, Varta, Blains Farm & Fleet, Battery Alliance, Bosch, Carrefour(Europe), Champion, Amara Raja Batteries LTD(Joint venture with Johnson Controls India).
Varta, Optima Batteries, LTH, and Heliar are all battery manufactures owned by Johnson Controls.
Johnson Controls supplies Ford Motor company, Diamler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu with original equipment batteries. So next time you go and buy a battery, or a automobile chances are its a battery made by Johnson Controls."

dave80

Go Kart Champion
$62 with coupon code W58 from your local advance auto store. If coupon has expired just wait couple of weeks (they renew that code at least once a month)

AutoCraft 12-Volt Sealed AGM Premium Powersport Battery, 340 CCA

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
$62 with coupon code W58 from your local advance auto store. If coupon has expired just wait couple of weeks (they renew that code at least once a month)

AutoCraft 12-Volt Sealed AGM Premium Powersport Battery, 340 CCA

TRT30 is the code I normally use. 30% off and it doesn't expire.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the response.

Did it need any custom fitting into the stock battery compartment or does it just sit there? And I imagine the leads go straight onto the battery terminals?

I made a custom hold down bracket. It does fit nicely into the back of the battery tray though. You need adapters to use OEM type battery terminals. They are on eBay for like 20 bucks.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
I ended up putting in a Group 35 Optima Yellow top. Fit right in no problem, and met my "slightly smaller" criteria without having too much lower capacity. Would have rather gone with the even more powerful than stock but physically smaller DieHard Platinum Group 35, buy not for $100 more than this one. Car starts much better than it was, even after sitting all day in the cold. Hopefully it won't crap out too soon.

--Matt

Last edited:

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Isn't that a motorcycle battery? And how did you secure it?
Yes, there are a couple of ways to secure it. Some guys are using basic brackets while I choose to cut four slots in the plastic battery tray with my dremel and used heavy duty velcro at the bottom plus two tie-down straps. Works fine and the OEM plastic battery box including top cap fit fine for a stealth look. :thumbup:

Pop the top cap off and you see this...

Shore GTI

Ready to race!
Just about all lead acid batteries are made by the same company. From the interwebz so you know it's true:

"Johnson controls also makes some or all of these batteries as well.
Acura, Advance Auto Parts, Autocraft, Western Auto, Tough One, Alliance, American Hardware, Ames, Varta, Blains Farm & Fleet, Battery Alliance, Bosch, Carrefour(Europe), Champion, Amara Raja Batteries LTD(Joint venture with Johnson Controls India).
Varta, Optima Batteries, LTH, and Heliar are all battery manufactures owned by Johnson Controls.
Johnson Controls supplies Ford Motor company, Diamler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu with original equipment batteries. So next time you go and buy a battery, or a automobile chances are its a battery made by Johnson Controls."

That's right, add Interstate, VW &, the now discontinued Costco/Kirkland battery
to that long list.

v.b

Ready to race!
My car is a 2010 and still on the original battery. If its really cold out (-20) it starts a little slow but its fine. I won't replace it until it fails. No point in spending money on something that is working just fine.

Lol tell that to the people who are preemptively replacing their coilpacks and recommending others to do so as well.