GOLFMKV

Dafuture's Slow(ish) Build Thread

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Just saw that you created a thread hahah...looking forward to this build

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Just saw that you created a thread hahah...looking forward to this build

Thanks lol, I've been getting active on this one. Just ordered a Raceseng knob a few mins ago. I do have to take apart the dash again this weekend though. I think the cable for the MDI is a little loose because the sound goes in and out. No big deal, just have to play with it a bit!

Did you see yourself in the picture towards the top haha?

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
So I've been having an issue with my iPod connection since the bluetooth install. Everything else works fine, which leads me to believe there's a wire loose somewhere in the harness. Anyone have any idea which wire it is? I tried adjusting all of them over the weekend, but no luck there.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
I finally got around to installing my Raceseng knob. The Sphereology happened to be on sale when I was looking, so I grabbed one of those. The construction really is fantastic and it feels great to hold. It did take me a couple tries to get it situated correctly, but it was well worth the effort.

As a fun bonus to end the weekend, when I started my car Sunday afternoon, I got my very first Volkswagen CEL! I ran Vagcom when I got home, which returned a P2431 code for the secondary air sensor. I figured I would take the car in sometime this week to have it looked at, but when I started the car this morning the CEL was gone. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it. On a side note, anybody have any experience with the service department at VW of Manhattan?

davserbic

Ready to race!
I finally got around to installing my Raceseng knob. The Sphereology happened to be on sale when I was looking, so I grabbed one of those. The construction really is fantastic and it feels great to hold. It did take me a couple tries to get it situated correctly, but it was well worth the effort.

As a fun bonus to end the weekend, when I started my car Sunday afternoon, I got my very first Volkswagen CEL! I ran Vagcom when I got home, which returned a P2431 code for the secondary air sensor. I figured I would take the car in sometime this week to have it looked at, but when I started the car this morning the CEL was gone. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it. On a side note, anybody have any experience with the service department at VW of Manhattan?

Looks really good! Get the Euro Cup Holder to hide that change batch!

Best,
D

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys!

Just a quick update. I started my car this morning, and the CEL was just gone. I haven't had time to re-run Vagcom, but I think for now I'll skip taking it into the dealer. I'm headed to Philly this coming weekend, so I really don't feel like having VW dismantle my car right now (when I go, I'll most likely get the water pump done too).

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
It's finally time to get started on the suspension! On the last GTI, I had Neuspeed sport springs that came with the car. While they definitely had a nice drop to them and handled great, the ride was a little bouncy on the highway and didn't handle local roads so well either. Frankly, I kind of liked the idea of having a suspension that doesn't beat you up.

That being said, while I love the softer ride, I desperately miss the handling ability of the old car. I've been doing my best to get my hands on a set of DG springs, but given that they're sold out for 2 doors, it's proving somewhat difficult. While I'm waiting for a used set, the suspension definitely needs an upgrade somewhere. To that end, I picked up a 22mm H&R rear sway last night from another forum member.

I've read some good things about the Unibraces (UB + XB), but I'd probably only go with one or the other at the moment. I like the idea of the UB not being so invasive, so I'm leaning towards that. Otherwise, if I can't get my hands on a set of DG springs, does anyone have any opinions about the VWR ones? I've read through most of the threads comparing the two, and it seems to me that the general consensus is that the VWR ones don't ride as well as the DG ones? I'm really looking for a light drop, so I don't want to be too low. It's more about comfort and handling. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
It's finally time to get started on the suspension! On the last GTI, I had Neuspeed sport springs that came with the car. While they definitely had a nice drop to them and handled great, the ride was a little bouncy on the highway and didn't handle local roads so well either. Frankly, I kind of liked the idea of having a suspension that doesn't beat you up.

That being said, while I love the softer ride, I desperately miss the handling ability of the old car. I've been doing my best to get my hands on a set of DG springs, but given that they're sold out for 2 doors, it's proving somewhat difficult. While I'm waiting for a used set, the suspension definitely needs an upgrade somewhere. To that end, I picked up a 22mm H&R rear sway last night from another forum member.

I've read some good things about the Unibraces (UB + XB), but I'd probably only go with one or the other at the moment. I like the idea of the UB not being so invasive, so I'm leaning towards that. Otherwise, if I can't get my hands on a set of DG springs, does anyone have any opinions about the VWR ones? I've read through most of the threads comparing the two, and it seems to me that the general consensus is that the VWR ones don't ride as well as the DG ones? I'm really looking for a light drop, so I don't want to be too low. It's more about comfort and handling. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

I have the VWRs and I love how they ride! Can't compare the ride with DG, but I went with them because of that extra drop they offer. The DG drop, esp at the rear, is almost negligible. Since you are MT, make sure you use the Audi TT rear pads with VWRs to avoid reverse rake.

I also upgraded the struts to Koni oranges btw. Would recommend doing that if you are doing the springs.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
About the XB vs UB thing, I would go with the XB if I were you. It really makes a big difference in tightening up the rear of our cars. With the tall rear quarter panels that hatch backs have they suffer from panel flex and sway. This helps solidify the rear so that the whole rear of the car better follows the front as you corner instead of swaying or flexing outward (as it does without the XB). Just my .02.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
About the XB vs UB thing, I would go with the XB if I were you. It really makes a big difference in tightening up the rear of our cars. With the tall rear quarter panels that hatch backs have they suffer from panel flex and sway. This helps solidify the rear so that the whole rear of the car better follows the front as you corner instead of swaying or flexing outward (as it does without the XB). Just my .02.

Yep, heard the exact same things about the XB, but went with UB because I was skeptic about compromising the luggage carrying ability of the car ;) Waiting for my wife to get a car, XB would be the first install after that!

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
The XB really seems to be the consensus huh? I guess I don't fold down my seats that often, but the idea of having to take it apart is a little off-putting. I do like the idea of the car being a little more stiff at the rear though. I've heard a lot of different things about the effects of the UB, so if anyone could give me some feedback on that as well it would be much appreciated.

As for the springs, I'm glad to hear some good things about the VWRs if I end up going that route. I would have to look into the TT pads as well, since I definitely don't want a reverse rake. Though considering I'm on a relative budget here, how necessary is it to get new struts? One of the things I liked about the DGs is that they were made for the OEM ones, so I didn't have to worry about driving around on them if it took me awhile to get around to changing the struts.

Franco, I definitely thought about going the coilover route. I nearly jumped on a set of Konis a couple weeks ago. The issue is I do have to drive in the city sometimes, and I'm a bit worried about going so low. I know the Konis can be spun to a high-ish ride height, but then I started reading that the springs would sag at higher heights so I decided to just pass. Coilovers also tend to be a bit more on the pricey side. While I am upgrading various things little by little, I would like to go Stage 2 sometime next year (with an upgraded clutch to boot haha).

Last edited: