GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 12-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #57
deep.mit
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI 6MT 2dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuture View Post
Pray for my clutch. APR Stage 1 this Saturday.
Ideally, clutch should be just fine with Stage1! Have fun!

My Build Thread
Instagram
deep.mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #58
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 GTI, '95 Volvo 850
Thanks guys haha. I'm definitely hoping the clutch will hold, especially since I don't beat on the car. As for my tires, the stock Pirellis will hopefully be burned at the stake and rolled off a cliff, to then be replaced by Pilot Super Sports.

Seriously. Going up a small hill in the rain this morning, 3k RPM in 2nd gear got me wheelspin and traction control warnings. The Pirellis suck.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #59
deep.mit
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Thanks guys haha. I'm definitely hoping the clutch will hold, especially since I don't beat on the car. As for my tires, the stock Pirellis will hopefully be burned at the stake and rolled off a cliff, to then be replaced by Pilot Super Sports.

Seriously. Going up a small hill in the rain this morning, 3k RPM in 2nd gear got me wheelspin and traction control warnings. The Pirellis suck.
They do big time! and the PSSs are that much better

My Build Thread
Instagram
Old 12-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #60
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver

I honestly can't wait for that. Even my Blizzak WS-70s are better for performance driving lol
Old 12-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #61
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 2Dr DSG
The Pirelli's will be bald in no time flat, and you'll spin your snow tires effortlessly. Stage 1 is a low end torque monster, it really transforms this car. You'll love it. Have fun!
APR K04 / meth injection / custom intake / Eurojet turboback / Neuspeed FMIC / FMIC sprayer / FSB-RSB / Endlinks / 034 Mounts / HPA 75A / AWE TOP / BSH TBP / ECS Catch Can / Solo Werks / Centric rotors / StopTech pads / Tyrolsport / Powerflex Bushings & A.L.K. / Stern Brace / Eurosport Strut Brace & Rear XB / TCR-II System / Misc Interior & Exterior Mods / Build Thread / My flickr
GoodTimesIndeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #62
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimesIndeed View Post
The Pirelli's will be bald in no time flat, and you'll spin your snow tires effortlessly. Stage 1 is a low end torque monster, it really transforms this car. You'll love it. Have fun!
I can't wait haha

Now just imagine if I ever make it to K04...
Old 12-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #63
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 2Dr DSG
Quote:
I can't wait haha

Now just imagine if I ever make it to K04...
You'll get there. Its fun to experience each stage of tuning (at least I thought it was). Makes you appreciate the differences of each. Who knows, maybe you'll decide that Stage 1 or 2 is enough. K04 is fast but its different, the powerband is a bit more mid and top end.
APR K04 / meth injection / custom intake / Eurojet turboback / Neuspeed FMIC / FMIC sprayer / FSB-RSB / Endlinks / 034 Mounts / HPA 75A / AWE TOP / BSH TBP / ECS Catch Can / Solo Werks / Centric rotors / StopTech pads / Tyrolsport / Powerflex Bushings & A.L.K. / Stern Brace / Eurosport Strut Brace & Rear XB / TCR-II System / Misc Interior & Exterior Mods / Build Thread / My flickr
GoodTimesIndeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #64
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimesIndeed View Post
You'll get there. Its fun to experience each stage of tuning (at least I thought it was). Makes you appreciate the differences of each. Who knows, maybe you'll decide that Stage 1 or 2 is enough. K04 is fast but its different, the powerband is a bit more mid and top end.
Yeah I know what you mean. I was planning on working my way through the stages regardless, but my thinking is along the lines of if I get a downpipe, and inevitably I end up with a new clutch, why not just save a little more and take that next step?

Last edited by dafuture; 12-02-2015 at 11:31 PM.
dafuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:33 PM   #65
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver

Taking the car in to be serviced tomorrow. 24AX update will be performed along with replacing the water pum. I asked the dealer if I could opt out of the water pump and just have them inspect it for issues, but the advisor insisted that installing a new waterpump was mandated by VW.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:00 AM   #66
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
I think Stage 1 is the sweet spot, with a good intake, pipes and a catback. Spend the rest of the money on bushings and lightweight wheels.
Sucks that they are replacing a working pump, I just hope they do a good job for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:34 AM   #67
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
I think Stage 1 is the sweet spot, with a good intake, pipes and a catback. Spend the rest of the money on bushings and lightweight wheels.
Sucks that they are replacing a working pump, I just hope they do a good job for you.
After the tune I'm probably going to hold off on any other mods until the Spring/Summer. I'd love to do an intake, bushings, front sway, lighter wheels, etc., but it adds up quick haha.

I am a little annoyed about them replacing the pump. I'm going to see if I can talk them out of doing that. I may try the "I'm in a rush and don't have time to lose my car for the whole day" excuse and see if they'll let it slide. Platinum VW is a PITA.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:32 AM   #68
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver

After much waiting and anticipation, I finally got my car tuned this Friday! I spent quite a bit of time studying each tuner and what they offered before making my decision. Each one has their merits and demerits, but essentially I eliminated Eurodyne, Unitronic, and GIAC simply because they were more expensive (and I probably wouldn't have taken advantage of Maestro 7, so I didn't think it was worth the extra money). This left me with APR and Revo. I definitely liked the potential of APR's (supposedly) upcoming updated files, but I was very disappointed in the response I got from them (it took 5 days for Arin to get back to me on a few questions I had).

On the other hand, the guys at Revo were pretty responsive and were definitely helpful in answering any questions I had. On top of it, their 25% off sale put a Stage 1 tune at $400 (with tax), which undercuts the cheapest APR tune I could find ($675 without taxes if I paid in cash) by a significant amount. Even when I add in the SPS for $170, I'm still well below APR's pricing.

As for the tune... it's amazing. I know tons of other people have written their reactions to Stage 1 over the years, but I've never experienced it myself until now. There's tons of power everywhere in the rev range and the car is deceptively quick. Triple digit speeds come up out of nowhere, even at half throttle. The best way I can describe it is smooth speed: the car doesn't toss you back in your seat, but just pulls away from everything else so effortlessly you don't even notice it happening. So far I've probably only driven ~50 miles with it, and already I can see a huge difference. I can't wait to see how it feels when the ECU fully adapts to the new software.

The only downside so far is on the way home tonight I got an EPC light, misfires, and the car went into limp mode. When I turned off the car and started it again it ran fine with no code, so I was at least able to get it home. My general assumption is I blew a coil pack, something I had already prepared for by preordering R8 coils and spark plugs from HS Tuning. However, I did have the EPC light come on for a minute randomly the other day before I was tuned (it disappeared after a minute or so), so I will probably run a Vagcom scan to be sure. Just waiting on a friend of mine to return the cable (of course when I need it, it's not around haha), so until then I'll probably just take it easy and make sure I stay under stock boost levels.

Anyway, I apologize for the crappy pics. Watching through the window was like waiting for a baby being born lol. The shop itself was awesome though (Lynmor Motorsports). Aside from everyone being pretty nice, they had some awesome stuff around that they were working on. Just from what I could see, there were two old 911s (the 66 that's in the picture and a '68), a 356, a 996 race car, a 993, and loads of other stuff that I can't recall off the top of my head. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who has a Porsche or wants their Revo tune done.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:35 AM   #69
deep.mit
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
After much waiting and anticipation, I finally got my car tuned this Friday! I spent quite a bit of time studying each tuner and what they offered before making my decision. Each one has their merits and demerits, but essentially I eliminated Eurodyne, Unitronic, and GIAC simply because they were more expensive (and I probably wouldn't have taken advantage of Maestro 7, so I didn't think it was worth the extra money). This left me with APR and Revo. I definitely liked the potential of APR's (supposedly) upcoming updated files, but I was very disappointed in the response I got from them (it took 5 days for Arin to get back to me on a few questions I had).

On the other hand, the guys at Revo were pretty responsive and were definitely helpful in answering any questions I had. On top of it, their 25% off sale put a Stage 1 tune at $400 (with tax), which undercuts the cheapest APR tune I could find ($675 without taxes if I paid in cash) by a significant amount. Even when I add in the SPS for $170, I'm still well below APR's pricing.

As for the tune... it's amazing. I know tons of other people have written their reactions to Stage 1 over the years, but I've never experienced it myself until now. There's tons of power everywhere in the rev range and the car is deceptively quick. Triple digit speeds come up out of nowhere, even at half throttle. The best way I can describe it is smooth speed: the car doesn't toss you back in your seat, but just pulls away from everything else so effortlessly you don't even notice it happening. So far I've probably only driven ~50 miles with it, and already I can see a huge difference. I can't wait to see how it feels when the ECU fully adapts to the new software.

The only downside so far is on the way home tonight I got an EPC light, misfires, and the car went into limp mode. When I turned off the car and started it again it ran fine with no code, so I was at least able to get it home. My general assumption is I blew a coil pack, something I had already prepared for by preordering R8 coils and spark plugs from HS Tuning. However, I did have the EPC light come on for a minute randomly the other day before I was tuned (it disappeared after a minute or so), so I will probably run a Vagcom scan to be sure. Just waiting on a friend of mine to return the cable (of course when I need it, it's not around haha), so until then I'll probably just take it easy and make sure I stay under stock boost levels.

Anyway, I apologize for the crappy pics. Watching through the window was like waiting for a baby being born lol. The shop itself was awesome though (Lynmor Motorsports). Aside from everyone being pretty nice, they had some awesome stuff around that they were working on. Just from what I could see, there were two old 911s (the 66 that's in the picture and a '68), a 356, a 996 race car, a 993, and loads of other stuff that I can't recall off the top of my head. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who has a Porsche or wants their Revo tune done.
Congrats on the tune! Enjoy and drive safe

My Build Thread
Instagram
Old 12-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #70
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep.mit View Post
Congrats on the tune! Enjoy and drive safe
Thanks man!