GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
justsomeguy
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: Drives around the Big Blue Ball
New VAG ECM Patch Releaased 11_11

Just thought I would mention that VAG released a new ECM patch (24AX) on 11_11 which is suppose to have something to do with the fuel pressure going to the rail. Perhaps one of our VW Tech forum members could shed a little more light on this?

...butch
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:58 AM   #2
carsfeverguy
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 Gti
for what years?
carsfeverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:04 AM   #3
GertieGTI
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2DR CW DSG
Watch this video from humble mechanic for an explanation.

https://youtu.be/3LvVeNRI_-U?t=8m55s

Last edited by GertieGTI; 11-17-2015 at 02:11 AM.
GertieGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
If this update is done at the dealer, will it erase my tune? Don't think I've had this kind of update since I've been tuned.
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
jettaglis
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '88 gli, '11 cc, '12 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by realcyberbob View Post
If this update is done at the dealer, will it erase my tune? Don't think I've had this kind of update since I've been tuned.
Correct, if your tuned... your tune will be overwritten.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
flipflp
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '16 Golf R DSG
Watched the HumbleMechanic clip and I have a question:

Since this is only for "stock, untuned cars" can we infer that tuners modify whatever VW modified in the course of tuning? Or is that just a note for dealers to not retune and extend the warranty on modified vehicles?
flipflp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #7
songyun
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettaglis View Post
Correct, if your tuned... your tune will be overwritten.
omg. if that i may not want to do that.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:58 PM   #8
Wideopentuning
Touring Car Champion

Drives: MKVI Gti & MKVII Golf Sportwagen
We have had a tuned customer already have this update done at the dealer. Sure enough his software version was changed from S0010 to S0040.
APR was very quick to get a file(current production, not the soon coming update) for the updated software version on the server.
Wideopentuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideopentuning View Post
We have had a tuned customer already have this update done at the dealer. Sure enough his software version was changed from S0010 to S0040.
APR was very quick to get a file(current production, not the soon coming update) for the updated software version on the server.
What does it mean to us if APR changes the software version from S0010 to S0040?
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #10
Wideopentuning
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcyberbob View Post
What does it mean to us if APR changes the software version from S0010 to S0040?
The dealer is changing your software version with this new ECU update they are doing. There can are multiple different ECU box codes and software versions for the MK6 Gti alone. When you perform an APR flash, the file from APR has to "match" that box code and software version. Since this ecu update from VW changed the software version to something that there was no "matching" APR file for, APR does whatever they need to do on their end so when you plug a car in and connect to their server, the file matches the car and will allow you to flash the ECU. The performance will be the same as before.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:32 PM   #11
jshay
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: GLI
Okay so if I get the update, I lose my tune. I can go back to the tuner shop and have them reflash it.

But my question is: Does the tune overwrite whatever segment updated? Essentially losing the update we just got?
jshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #12
Wideopentuning
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshay View Post
Okay so if I get the update, I lose my tune. I can go back to the tuner shop and have them reflash it.

But my question is: Does the tune overwrite whatever segment updated? Essentially losing the update we just got?
Yes, as long as there is a file available matching whatever the updated software version is now.

I will try and get an answer to your second question.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:45 PM   #13
bigturbonyc
Touring Car Champion

Drives: mkv gti
Hmm ive never seen that guy the humble mechanic, but his videos are spot on.

Any type of update will rewrite the whole ecm. They dont give us details as to what is written or changed. Sometimes theyre very vague about it. Here at least they give more info, basically looks like the old 24av update for tiguans, they just bumped pwm to the lpfp under certain situations.

This update applies to 11-13, cc, jetta, tiguan, gti, beetle, eos (cbfa/ccta), if it falls in the open category, i wouldnt see why not all are tho.
bigturbonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:42 AM   #14
GertieGTI
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2DR CW DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigturbonyc View Post
Hmm ive never seen that guy the humble mechanic, but his videos are spot on.
I believe he is a VW dealership service manager. Really great videos with insider knowledge.

Honestly I wonder if this ECU update has anything to do with emissions. I have seen articles saying GTI's are affected but VW has denied it.

A side effect, whether intended or not of this update will be to deny extended warranty issues on fuel pumps to people who are tuned. I would imagine if you were tuned you would first have to flash to stock, then get the VW update, and then if tuners decide to update their files reflash the tuned software. This could turn into an Apple vs. jailbreakers cat and mouse game.
GertieGTI is offline   Reply With Quote