GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-18-2015, 02:45 AM   #15
DakotaGTI
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 GTI / Revo Stage II
New to the forum, but just wanted to share my experience. I drive a 2011 CBFA GTI with a Revo Stage II tune. I have an SPS switch as well, so I went ahead and flashed it back to stock before rolling into the dealership to have my coolant pump replaced under recall (hoping the dealer wouldn't notice the straight pipes and catless DP lol). Anyway, I dropped the car off and picked it up, everything was great. My leaking coolant pump was replaced with all the seals and gaskets and coolant was flushed and replaced free of charge. I hopped in the car, plugged in my SPS switch, and to my surprise, I sat for a good five minutes and never got the confirmation tone signifying a successful reflash to Stage II. So I checked my invoice, and sure enough the ECM was retuned under 24ax and all of my tunes overwritten.

I'll be calling Revo in the morning to see if they've released a file to correspond with this. If so, I'll be driving to my nearest Revo dealer (3 hours away) to get reflashed. I got my free coolant pump at least, but the 3 hour drive on a stock tune is going to be miserable.
DakotaGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #16
jettaglis
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '88 gli, '11 cc, '12 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigturbonyc View Post
Hmm ive never seen that guy the humble mechanic, but his videos are spot on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GertieGTI View Post
I believe he is a VW dealership service manager. Really great videos with insider knowledge.

Honestly I wonder if this ECU update has anything to do with emissions. I have seen articles saying GTI's are affected but VW has denied it.
He's a shop foreman/ master technician at a Vw dealer here in Nc. Follow him on Instagram for some funny situations at the dealer.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #17
bigturbonyc
Touring Car Champion

Drives: mkv gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettaglis View Post
He's a shop foreman/ master technician at a Vw dealer here in Nc. Follow him on Instagram for some funny situations at the dealer.
Will do because I was an enthusiast first...

But I see my fair share of completely stupid, blown up, backwards installed stuff being a tech...it never gets old.
bigturbonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:50 AM   #18
jettaglis
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '88 gli, '11 cc, '12 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigturbonyc View Post
Will do because I was an enthusiast first...

But I see my fair share of completely stupid, blown up, backwards installed stuff being a tech...it never gets old.
Haha everyday there is something new/stupid/crazy I see in the shop, I work at a Vw dealer for almost 10 years now.
Where in Ny are you at, I'm originally from Long Island.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #19
bigturbonyc
Touring Car Champion

Drives: mkv gti
Long island...I grew up upstate and my foreman recruited me to do this as a livong...best (?) And worst decison.
bigturbonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #20
adema69
Autocross Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
Beware if you get the update then your at the mercy of the tuner to come out with a patch. I have unitronic stg2 + and now aftwe update I'm stuck with a stock file until they update there files. The vw update at least for my car fixed the random no starts as the ecu wasn't sending the correct fuel pressure to the lpfp.
So for the time being I have a ko4 meth car running stock 10psi no fun....
adema69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #21
jshay
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideopentuning View Post
Yes, as long as there is a file available matching whatever the updated software version is now.

I will try and get an answer to your second question.
Thank you sir! I'm pretty sure this update will solve the long crank issue I've been having but I would rather not have it at the cost of my tune.

[Driver Motorsport's F23 Tune]
jshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #22
MosDubVI
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
Why doesn't this apply to 2010 GTIs as well?
MosDubVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #23
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Very happy with my 2010, I'd rather the dealer never touches it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:17 PM   #24
flipflp
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '16 Golf R DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosDubVI View Post
Why doesn't this apply to 2010 GTIs as well?
My guess would be that whatever this updated changes/fixes isn't needed/applicable on models outside of the service bulletin.
flipflp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:58 PM   #25
adema69
Autocross Champion

No run your vw on the vw recall site and it will let you know if this tsb is available for your car. If your not in the vin range vw is offering then it doesn't apply to that car
Old 11-19-2015, 12:27 AM   #26
justsomeguy
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: Drives around the Big Blue Ball
Ya' know, certainly most likely a "placebo" effect - but - I feel the car is running much smoother after this VAG update I was also ready to finally pull the trigger on a tune but this type of issue makes me hesitate again. It's interesting to see that VAG is still interested in the code and makes updates years into the model run and even after it has ended. Will the tuners do the same; incorporate this change, push it to their customers? Is there a benefit to the upgrade that I want besides the extended warranty on the FP?

Who knows.....

Back to the do it / don't do it mind torture. Live with the missing torque and just enjoy the handling improvements I've made.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:38 AM   #27
xd-data-ii
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: Ford Focus RS '17 / Mk6 GTI DSG '12
New VAG ECM Patch Releaased 11_11

So... can we get the tuner to apply the VW update as part of the flashing process to get an new tune file or new release? Maybe a two step process - flash to updated stock and then add tune.
Bypassing VW.
Or do we have to go to VW to get the update, loose the tune and then back to the tuner for a reflash to a file comparable to s0040 (hopefully not undoing the good the VW update takes care of)?
Any need to get flashed to stock before going to VW (if you know there is a TD1 code applied already)?
xd-data-ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #28
adema69
Autocross Champion

^negative this is through vw not your tuner. Only vw can update the ecu with there software. No need to get flashed to stock as it will overwrite any software on it before. As of now I called apr and giac they already have updated tunes for this seems like unitronic is slacking and has no eta when they will....