GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Purchasing Used MKVI

Tehdoood

Looking at 3 GTI's and was hoping to get some pricing infomation. Had a 2003 1.8T GTI back in 2005 which I loved and I'm looking to return to the car again. Will be trading in my 2015 Civic Si w/1800 miles in cherry condition.

First one: 2013 GTI w/14k Miles

Not crazy about the rims but I like the mileage and the fact that it's a DSG. Just not sure if the price is fair however, especially considering that I can pick up an slightly better equipped GTI with Nav/Sunroof with DSG and same miles for $2k more (See third one). Haven't spoke with this dealer yet.

Second one: 2013 GTI w/28k Miles

This one has the Nav/Sunroof and DSG as well although it also has 28k miles. All maintenance has been done and it has new tires on it as well from the dealer per the carfax and one owner. This dealer will give me an even trade on my Civic + dealer documentation fee ($289) for this specific GTI but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Third one: 2015 GTI w/15k Miles

Obviously 2 years newer and lacking the Nav/Sunroof but nearly half the miles of the previous one. Also note that they are both from the same dealer. Would you pay the extra 1k for a newer car with half the miles? Or would you haggle hard on the slightly used 2013?

Lastly, can you guys explain to me, or your thoughts on why a 2 year older car with nearly identical setup is only 1k less with twice as many miles? Whats with the disparity in pricing? I know that the higher trims like the Autobahn and Drivers Edition would be more but for nearly identical setups I don't understand why a 2 year old car is only 1k less, especially when the older one isn't a CPO and the new one still has more warranty left. I've been looking a lot in my area and this disparity in pricing seems quite common. Maybe it's just me and I'm undervaluing these vehicles? Please feel free to tell me I'm being silly and the pricing is solid. I just want to get the best price I can. Really appreciate all your input!

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
For my money I'd go for the 2015. Why, newer, less miles & longer warranty. I don't believe that red 2013 has Nav FWIW.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
For my money I'd go for the 2015. Why, newer, less miles & longer warranty. I don't believe that red 2013 has Nav FWIW.

This. Provided no red flags on it.

Tehdoood

Yea I think you are right, I went back and re-read the description and I didn't see it listed. I'm assuming since you guys didn't say anything about the pricing that it's pretty fair then?

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Yea I think you are right, I went back and re-read the description and I didn't see it listed. I'm assuming since you guys didn't say anything about the pricing that it's pretty fair then?
Yeah the price seems fair. But Always bargain. I wonder if this is a CPO or just used...

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
The way I see it if you can get out of your Si without your arse being handed to you it is good. In most transactions like this you would lose so much money on your trade to not be worth it. Hope it works out for you, good luck.

Tehdoood

Yeah the price seems fair. But Always bargain. I wonder if this is a CPO or just used...

Good to know. I'll definitely be sure to find out whether or not it is a CPO.

The way I see it if you can get out of your Si without your arse being handed to you it is good. In most transactions like this you would lose so much money on your trade to not be worth it. Hope it works out for you, good luck.

I do own my 15 Si, but thank you for the insight and advice. I feel better knowing I'm not getting ripped off.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Out of those 3, I would go with the MK7.

Keep in mind, the 2015 Mk7 is the first model year for the generation in the US. And, by rule of thumb you shouldn't purchase the first model year as it is prone to more issues than later revisions.

If you can break even on your trade, talk the sticker price down a little, and pay only doc fees out of pocket than the deal would be sweet. If you have that awful cheated feeling in your stomach during negotiations, I'd recommend sticking with the SI.

Tehdoood

Thank you to everyone who chimed in. I ended up getting a killer deal on a 2014 Wolfsburg GTI (Pzev) in Crystal White w/17k miles fully loaded with everything out the door for 22k. Got 20k trade-in on my Si and got them down 2800 on their asking price so I feel like I got a great deal. Absolutely love the car, especially the bi-xenon HID head lights with the LEDs.

Thanks again for all the advice, I'll be making my way to the MK7 forums tomorrow to get some pictures up.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Thank you to everyone who chimed in. I ended up getting a killer deal on a 2014 Wolfsburg GTI (Pzev) in Crystal White w/17k miles fully loaded with everything out the door for 22k. Got 20k trade-in on my Si and got them down 2800 on their asking price so I feel like I got a great deal. Absolutely love the car, especially the bi-xenon HID head lights with the LEDs.

Thanks again for all the advice, I'll be making my way to the MK7 forums tomorrow to get some pictures up.

Congrats on your purchase, but why are you going to post pics of your MK6 on the MK7 forums? Also Wolfsburg Editions are not fully loaded and don't come with HID headlights. Sounds like you got a Drivers Edition.

Tehdoood

Congrats on your purchase, but why are you going to post pics of your MK6 on the MK7 forums? Also Wolfsburg Editions are not fully loaded and don't come with HID headlights. Sounds like you got a Drivers Edition.

Thought late 2014s were mk7 but I got that info from Wikipedia.

Definitely have the bi-xenons, leather seats, navigation, premium sound system, sun/moon roof. So that's a drivers edition? Hrmm car fax says Wolfsburg and it has the Wolfsburg rims too.

Well regardless of what it is, it's a bajillion times better than my Si.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I'd suggest putting a Kraftwerks Supercharger on the Si then smoking GTIs with it, but that's just like my opinion man...

EDIT: I see the OP went with a GTI... I don't know whether to congratulate him or offer him my condolences...

Tehdoood

I'd suggest putting a Kraftwerks Supercharger on the Si then smoking GTIs with it, but that's just like my opinion man...

EDIT: I see the OP went with a GTI... I don't know whether to congratulate him or offer him my condolences...

I looked at doing the SC route for the Si but I don't have 5 grand laying around to spend on a toy like that. I had a stage 2 STI on E85 and while it was a ton of fun it was also expensive to maintain and keep up on. The GTI has plenty of power for me while still maintaining the fuel economy and comfort that I wanted.

Part of what I didn't like about the Si was having to wind it out to redline to get it moving and I discovered I'm not a fan of the honda exhaust note. Adding to that, at 30 it made me feel like a boy racer which just isn't my thing and having kids trying to race me in their hondas wasn't the kind of attention I wanted either. Lastly, I'm 6'1 and my head had less than a quarter of an inch clearance with the roof with the seat all the way down.

So all in all I really like the styling, refinement and turbo on the GTI. I can get up to speed easily without having to wind out the engine and yet I can bury the pedal if I want a quick thrill. It's plenty for me and I'm quite happy with it. It's a good compromise between performance and fuel economy. Oh and did I mention that I'm saving $500 a year on insurance vs the Si with the same exact coverage?