GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 VW GTI vs. 2010 Honda Civic Si Sedan

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
I also owned a Civic Si at one time recently (it was a 2007). The car felt much more direct and connected to the road and driving experience than the GTI. The felt smaller and lighter, which it is by around 200lbs. I actually really liked the interior of the car, as it felt like a driver-oriented cockpit. The tranny was pretty smooth and fun, but often got notchy in really cold winter and a couple of times I was not able to get into 2nd gear at all until the car warmed up.

The main issue I had with the car is also its biggest positive atribute....the engine and the power delivery. The car has really no power below 6,000rpms, where most of us do the majority of our driving. Even above the 6,000rpm range, the power is still not that impressive most of the time. Nothing like downshifting from 6th to 4th on the highway and still not having enough power to pass someone quickly. The engine is very fun at times, but having power around town and to pass on the highway is pretty darn fun too, and makes everyday driving easier and just generally more enjoyable. The Si is a fun car to test drive, but driving it day after day, you soon wish you had some useable power. You start to feel like an ass having to rev to 8,000rpms to stay with minivan traffic.

With all that said, I still think about the car from time to time. It was a fun car to drive agressively, spiritedly. It was fun to run it to redline and slice through a corner. Problem is, how often do you get to do that? My commute to work is 40 miles one way on the highway, then driving around town in stop-and-go during the day......stuff the GTI does very well, but does do it in a boring manner, imo. The Civic Si felt quick at times in the lower gears, but it was never fast.

I myself am starting to look at new cars again after owning my current 08 GTI for a year and half. I myself am just bored with the GTI. It is great and offers A LOT of features for the price, but the drive just feels disconnected and boring to me at this time. I want something more connected to the experience of driving. I want to be part of the experience and not feel like I am just being taken for a ride. Sometimes when driving the GTI, I feel like I am just playing a video game.

The cars I am looking at are the Mazdaspeed3, the Subaru WRX, the Mazda Miata, and I always have another Civic Si in the back of my thoughts...........

Stein357

Ready to race!
I went from a 2009 Civic Si coupe to a GTI. The GTI is worlds more refined, and that's the main thing I was going for when I purchased the GTI.

Whafrodamus1

Ready to race!
I also owned a Civic Si at one time recently (it was a 2007). The car felt much more direct and connected to the road and driving experience than the GTI. The felt smaller and lighter, which it is by around 200lbs. I actually really liked the interior of the car, as it felt like a driver-oriented cockpit. The tranny was pretty smooth and fun, but often got notchy in really cold winter and a couple of times I was not able to get into 2nd gear at all until the car warmed up.

The main issue I had with the car is also its biggest positive atribute....the engine and the power delivery. The car has really no power below 6,000rpms, where most of us do the majority of our driving. Even above the 6,000rpm range, the power is still not that impressive most of the time. Nothing like downshifting from 6th to 4th on the highway and still not having enough power to pass someone quickly. The engine is very fun at times, but having power around town and to pass on the highway is pretty darn fun too, and makes everyday driving easier and just generally more enjoyable. The Si is a fun car to test drive, but driving it day after day, you soon wish you had some useable power. You start to feel like an ass having to rev to 8,000rpms to stay with minivan traffic.

With all that said, I still think about the car from time to time. It was a fun car to drive agressively, spiritedly. It was fun to run it to redline and slice through a corner. Problem is, how often do you get to do that? My commute to work is 40 miles one way on the highway, then driving around town in stop-and-go during the day......stuff the GTI does very well, but does do it in a boring manner, imo. The Civic Si felt quick at times in the lower gears, but it was never fast.

I myself am starting to look at new cars again after owning my current 08 GTI for a year and half. I myself am just bored with the GTI. It is great and offers A LOT of features for the price, but the drive just feels disconnected and boring to me at this time. I want something more connected to the experience of driving. I want to be part of the experience and not feel like I am just being taken for a ride. Sometimes when driving the GTI, I feel like I am just playing a video game.

The cars I am looking at are the Mazdaspeed3, the Subaru WRX, the Mazda Miata, and I always have another Civic Si in the back of my thoughts...........

Good write up, but mk6>mk5 :p... sorry but it's true.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
In regards to Puredrive, I think newer and more advanced cars are going to give that feel of disconnection with the road, with electronic throttle, steering, etc. The GTI drove amazing IMO, but I'm coming from a low-end 1996 Integra. The Si just doesn't have any power like you said, and it gets old. Sure revving to 7k makes you feel like a race car driver and gives the sense of going fast, but I dont wanna do that all the time nor will I. I'd feel like I was in high school again. This is a perfect example of applying race technology with the day to day. The engine is a perfect setup for flying around a track and exiting turns with the quickness but c'mon, this does not apply to daily driving. Look at the dyno for the Si also. These power numbers only apply to a VERY narrow and high rpm range. Then look at the dyno for stock GTI, low end max torque and flat as hell all the way up to max hp. Perfect for day to day driving.

OP: I just think you'd grow tired of it and appreciate the well-roundedness of the GTI

ExplodingBrain

Passed Driver's Ed

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Good article. This illustrates how well rounded the GTI engine is. The Honda is extremely efficient at making power up top, one of the best in the NA world, but no torque. MS3 on the other hand makes tons of peak hp and torque but is a typical turbo, having a lot of low end lag and chokes at high rpms. GTI drives like a NA car with hardly any of the drawbacks of a turbo like the MS3 has, and makes great torque and hp throughout the rpm range, unlike a NA engine.

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!

kyle1

Passed Driver's Ed

Great post...I felt exactly the same about my 06 Si. However, if you are 'bored' with your GTI, I have to assume you are stock?

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Hmmm...not exactly sure about this. Interior? Yes. Exterior? Highly debatable.

Not just looks, but the whole package. Looks are purely opinion

VeeDoobin0825

I currently own a 2006 civic Si Coupe. I love it, as much as I love revving to 8500 with my flash and obnoxiously loud skunk2 exhaust, I think for everyday use for my stop-n-go traffic it is useless. I am in the market for a mk6 gti, always wanted a VW back in 03 driving my friend's 20 AE, what drew me towards the VW Gti was that crazy amount of torque at 1700rpm WOW! love it, that is what you need for everyday driving is torque at low rpms. Civics are and will be great cars, but...but...no need to rev up to 8000 for some passing or climbing the hill on some roads. Hoping by spring I'll receive my Gti and Join my new family of German Autos...