GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 VW GTI vs. 2010 Honda Civic Si Sedan

ottawaP5

Ready to race!
I also owned a Civic Si at one time recently (it was a 2007). The car felt much more direct and connected to the road and driving experience than the GTI. The felt smaller and lighter, which it is by around 200lbs. I actually really liked the interior of the car, as it felt like a driver-oriented cockpit. The tranny was pretty smooth and fun, but often got notchy in really cold winter and a couple of times I was not able to get into 2nd gear at all until the car warmed up.

The main issue I had with the car is also its biggest positive atribute....the engine and the power delivery. The car has really no power below 6,000rpms, where most of us do the majority of our driving. Even above the 6,000rpm range, the power is still not that impressive most of the time. Nothing like downshifting from 6th to 4th on the highway and still not having enough power to pass someone quickly. The engine is very fun at times, but having power around town and to pass on the highway is pretty darn fun too, and makes everyday driving easier and just generally more enjoyable. The Si is a fun car to test drive, but driving it day after day, you soon wish you had some useable power. You start to feel like an ass having to rev to 8,000rpms to stay with minivan traffic.

With all that said, I still think about the car from time to time. It was a fun car to drive agressively, spiritedly. It was fun to run it to redline and slice through a corner. Problem is, how often do you get to do that? My commute to work is 40 miles one way on the highway, then driving around town in stop-and-go during the day......stuff the GTI does very well, but does do it in a boring manner, imo. The Civic Si felt quick at times in the lower gears, but it was never fast.

I myself am starting to look at new cars again after owning my current 08 GTI for a year and half. I myself am just bored with the GTI. It is great and offers A LOT of features for the price, but the drive just feels disconnected and boring to me at this time. I want something more connected to the experience of driving. I want to be part of the experience and not feel like I am just being taken for a ride. Sometimes when driving the GTI, I feel like I am just playing a video game.

The cars I am looking at are the Mazdaspeed3, the Subaru WRX, the Mazda Miata, and I always have another Civic Si in the back of my thoughts...........

Nice write up. I currently own a Mazdaspeed3 and am getting a GTI in March. I found the GTI more connected than the MS3. It just felt more tossable and fun to drive. If power delivery is your thing, then the MS3 wins over the GTI for sure.

I guess we all get bored with our cars, no matter what they are, after a while :)

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
So true, I would get bored with a Ferrari I'm afraid.

I predict it would hold my interest a bit longer than others :laugh:

I'm just going to throw this out there..

I bought a 2008 civic si sedan - now I drive a mk6. The Si was great, but the engine was frusteratingly low on torque.

I think you really cant go wrong with either - the si is certaintly cheaper, but I really would never go back. The GTI seems like its in a totally different class of car.

jgs5607

Ready to race!
On the MK6 > MK5 comment, it certainly handles better.

Look up Car and Driver's recent Lightning Lap article and their comments on the MK6 handling vs the MK5 in the last LL roundup. Pretty much the same power but (if I remember right) 5 seconds faster on the same course; well outside car to car variation

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Looks to me the major points are:

Build quality/driving experience = GTI>Si
Reliability/cost = Si>GTI

(Reliability based on manufacturer history)

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Looks to me the major points are:

Build quality/driving experience = GTI>Si
Reliability/cost = Si>GTI

(Reliability based on manufacturer history)

Well, the Si's are known to have 3rd gear issues on their transmissions, especially when modified.

ssnova703

It's fun to bash vtec and honda's because of a stereotypical image portrayed, but in all honesty vtec holds its own. Vtec is the closest you will get to a Ferrari or Formula 1 type engine(before you laugh think about it) in a normal car.

So what do I mean when I say "Ferrari or Formula 1 type engine" ? high horsepower, low torque, in a high revving motor= an engine that can soar to a screaming level. It's fun, I used to drive my friend's RSX-S(K20A motor). Like I say, it holds it's own, has it's own characteristics and is bulletproof reliable(stock at least).

Having said that, again, I'll agree with the whole, "media image" thing, a GTI will pull off as classier.

Would also like to add, Quality Control = SI> GTI
Meaning you will probably have less quality control issues with an SI. Honda usually likes to make sure everything works properly before shipping their stuff.

If you can rise above the crowd and break trends, get whatever pleases ya, I give respect for people who do that. Be it SI or GTI.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Well, the Si's are known to have 3rd gear issues on their transmissions, especially when modified.

I've also heard about premature rusting welds on the sedans.

Not trying to pile on, but trying to point out even the most reliable brands/companies still have their issues to resolve.

krische

vdubber in training
It's fun to bash vtec and honda's because of a stereotypical image portrayed, but in all honesty vtec holds its own. Vtec is the closest you will get to a Ferrari or Formula 1 type engine(before you laugh think about it) in a normal car.

So what do I mean when I say "Ferrari or Formula 1 type engine" ? high horsepower, low torque, in a high revving motor= an engine that can soar to a screaming level. It's fun, I used to drive my friend's RSX-S(K20A motor). Like I say, it holds it's own, has it's own characteristics and is bulletproof reliable(stock at least).

This is true, but when you consider that these cars are daily drivers and not race cars; it's completely impractical. Low-end torque is what makes city and highway driving more enjoyable.

jgs5607

Ready to race!
[QUOTELow-end torque is what makes city and highway driving more enjoyable][/QUOTE]

I will second that, I do not want to have to flog the car to get it to feel responsivr in day to day driving.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
I mean you dont wanna be that guy in krische's avatar do ya? :lol:

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
the sounds of a high-end horsepower revving engine are not as enjoyable as a low-end torque engines. like compairing a civic with and exhaust (annoying and generic) and a gti with an exhasut (classier and more unique). but then again it obviously depends on the type of exhaust that put on the car. these are just typical of what i observe. and i dont think anyone wants to be the guys on krische's avatar hahah

AM407

Autocross Champion
I'm still waiting for my new GTI to show up, but for the last 11 years I've been driving a '99 Civic SiR.

Sure, I'm looking forward to all the torque of the GTI's turbo four, but I'm also going to miss the gem of an engine that's in the Civic. So what if you have to rev it a bit? That's what the engine loves, and what it was designed to do.

And for just cruising around town, I upshift at 3,500-4,000 RPMs. Unless you're drag racing from every stoplight, these engines have plenty of torque down low for everyday driving. Check out the Honda's torque curve - it's flat as a table from damn near idle all the way to redline.