GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking Rear Window Washer Technical Analysis

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
Mine's getting "fixed" under warranty. The dealer was clueless until I gave them the TSB number yesterday, which further confirms my low opinion of the dealership.

The service rep had the TSB procedure in front of him when he sat down with me after they "verified" the problem. I did not look through it directly, though he insists it does not require removal of the rear roof spoiler (as some have asserted). VW gives them 45 minutes worth of labor to perform the TSB.

The fix involves installing a spring loaded, ball check-valve into the existing line. This type of check valve is the most common and has been in use for more than a century. (I have a registered US patent on another type of check valve.) The internals of the valve are similar to this one and the VW valve uses a plastic housing (and probably a plastic ball with a stainless steel spring):

http://www.industrial-microhydraulics.co.uk/images/Ind_microhydraulics_images/check_valves2.jpg

Forum members have complained that their "fixed" cars still leak and I don't doubt that, although I think it's a fair bet that it's not the fault of the valve itself and is instead due to technician error (or a concocted "dealer fix" that differs from the TSB.)

Some on the forum have suggested that the new valve "might be installed the wrong way" and therefore still leaks. There's a simple way to check that. Simply activate the rear washer. No fluid will come out if the valve was installed "the wrong way" (i.e. reversed), since the fluid flow would CLOSE the valve (by forcing the ball into its seat) rather than opening it.

For all I know mine will still leak after it's fixed.:lol: Nevertheless, I though some might find this information interesting.

P

plac

good findings. what we need off someones invoice is a part number. i may just buy a Bentley again so i can just look up the TSB myself.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
good findings. what we need off someones invoice is a part number. i may just buy a Bentley again so i can just look up the TSB myself.

I recall seeing the part numbers in one of the many threads on this subject.

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
This is a good find. This topic has been done to death though.

Marvin

Ready to race!
This is a good find. This topic has been done to death though.

It seems odd that no one on the UK VW Golf forums, to my knowledge, has experienced this dripping problem on their Golfs. I've had both a MK5 and now a MK6 and have not had this problem. Plenty of annoying buzzes, ticks and occasional rattles, however.
:mad0259:

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
I recall seeing the part numbers in one of the many threads on this subject.

Here they are:

Rear Washer Nozzle Drips After Use TSB 2023248

The water from the rear washer nozzle continues to run out after washer is shut off.

Technical Backround

Rear washer hose retains washer solvent after use. Without a check valve the excess water will continue to drain off out of the washer nozzle.

Service

Fit a non-return valve in the hose of the rear window washing system.

443-955-665 hose
113-955-975-C valve
000-979-992-A sleeve
1J0-955-875-R couplpiece

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
It seems odd that no one on the UK VW Golf forums, to my knowledge, has experienced this dripping problem on their Golfs. I've had both a MK5 and now a MK6 and have not had this problem. Plenty of annoying buzzes, ticks and occasional rattles, however.
:mad0259:

Start watching your MK6's hatch glass more closely especially while driving (by using your rear view mirror).

I always noticed some "staining" on my hatch's glass, but honestly did not notice the dripping until I read about it on this forum 3 days ago and began looking for it. I've owned the car for 5 months.

I'm the type of person who "notices everything," so I'll suggest that it's pretty easy to overlook.

I like my car a lot, but you're correct about the rattles, noises and buzzes and that's a well recognized VW problem. My Toyotas, my Acura TL, my Hondas and - you won't believe this - my '99 Z28 Camaro - were all rattle/nosie/buzz free.

At 80K miles, my Z28 didn't have a single squeak, rattle, buzz or any such noise. My GTI has more noises when I drove it off the dealer lot - with 6 miles showing on the odometer.

Is your MK6 any quieter than your MK5?

Plus, most people spend very little time looking into their rear view mirror (and at the hatch glass) while driving.

sukanas1

Ready to race!
Start watching your MK6 more closely.

I always noticed some "staining" on my hatch's glass, but honestly did not notice the dripping until I read about it on this thread and began looking for it.

I'm the type of person who "notices everything," so I'll suggest that it's pretty easy to overlook.

Plus, most people spend very little time looking into their rear view mirror (and at the hatch glass) while driving.

for people who are having this problem are not just merely experiencing a 'drip' i thought that too until it started happening to me. it squirts out like its having a major diarrhea.. creates one hell of a mess

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
It appears you are masking the problem rather than curing it with a non return valve. The original is rear spraying jet - 5K0 955 993 A - £6.23. If VW are that misery over spending £6 then its god help them.

As Marvin says we don't have this dripping nozzle problem in the UK. ;)

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion

We dont have to wait 6 months after we order a VW ,,,:bellyroll:

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
What were you waiting 4 and 6 months for?

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
It appears you are masking the problem rather than curing it with a non return valve. The original is rear spraying jet - 5K0 955 993 A - £6.23. If VW are that misery over spending £6 then its god help them.

How much are you paying for a gallon (3.8 liters) of premium petrol over there? (Answer: About twice what we do.):rolleyes:

More to your point, VW is cutting to many corners in their US cars in order to save a few measly dollars and I don't like that at all.

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
for people who are having this problem are not just merely experiencing a 'drip' i thought that too until it started happening to me. it squirts out like its having a major diarrhea.. creates one hell of a mess

I've seen it "drip" and I've seen it pour out.

The alcohol in the washer fluid will eventually stain your paint in the drip area and will also stain your glass. (My glass is already stained, though I think it would come out with glass polish. Windex, etc. won't touch the stain.)

So the mess you're seeing now it nothing compared to the mess you'll see several years from now in the form of permanently stained clear coat and hatch glass.

I'm willing to bet that virtually EVERY '10 GTI has this problem, but only a small fraction of owners pay enough attention to notice it. In order to not have the problem, the car would have to be equipped with a check valve from the factory and none were (or are, as far as I can tell).

I leased my VW because I had serious reservations about quality going into the deal. I think it's a great package overall, but VW is cutting too many corners on US cars in order to keep a lid on pricing. So I'll be driving something else in 28 months...

Last edited:

Marvin

Ready to race!
Start watching your MK6's hatch glass more closely especially while driving (by using your rear view mirror).

I always noticed some "staining" on my hatch's glass, but honestly did not notice the dripping until I read about it on this forum 3 days ago and began looking for it. I've owned the car for 5 months.

I like my car a lot, but you're correct about the rattles, noises and buzzes and that's a well recognized VW problem. My Toyotas, my Acura TL, my Hondas and - you won't believe this - my '99 Z28 Camaro - were all rattle/nosie/buzz free.

There are definitely no drips on my rear window. I, like yourself am a fastidious owner and would notice these things, believe me. Another poster here also confirms that we don't have this problem on our UK Golfs or at least have never been reported on UK forums.
My MK6 is much quieter than my MK5 was and that perhaps makes buzzes and rattles more obvious.