GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking Rear Window Washer Technical Analysis

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
What were you waiting 4 and 6 months for?
We have to wait that long for a build time which is stupid considering there is supposed to be a world resection. I was quote 3 months initially then they added another month because of some bull saying demand for Golfs is high.

The thing in the UK is dealers don't have loads of GTi's/GTD's or what ever to sell, each dealer is only allocated in my case 3 GTD's. The demo car was one, I bought one so they had on one more to sell. They told me they have people ringing up from London asking to buy a particular Golf as all the dealers in London have used up there allocation. I thought the idea of companies was to sell cars, as many as possible. Why VW have a very very small allocation to dealers beats me.

I only buy diesel and my last fillup was £1.13 per litre times that by 4.55 which is about £5.10 per UK gallon. Diesel is a bit more expensive than petrol here. Yes I know fuel is dirt cheap in the US, it was when I was there 5 years ago. I think it was something like $3.80 per gallon when we were getting $2 to the £1. ;)

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
It appears you are masking the problem rather than curing it with a non return valve. The original is rear spraying jet - 5K0 955 993 A - £6.23. If VW are that misery over spending £6 then its god help them.

As Marvin says we don't have this dripping nozzle problem in the UK. ;)
So are you saying I should get this part instead of the TSB parts? Did UK cars come with a different rear spray jet than the US?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
^^Thank you for the info, Keith.

If anyone has a leaking sprayer, there is no way you would NOT notice. Even if you didn't notice the liquid, you would see the impressions in the rear window dust and trail down the hatch door and bumper. And these rears get dusty.

If you have a rear sprayer leak and don't notice it you shouldn't be operating a motor vehicle.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I want to know: how is it possible that this is only a North American problem? Surely the rear nozzle is not spec'd differently for different countries?
Why would it be?

Can someone explain how this is possible.

And, if there is, for some reason, a difference in the nozzles, you might think, given all the complaints, that VW would, for 2011, use the proper part in the NA cars. But, no, apparently the problem has not been fixed for 2011.

Good luck VW in beating Toyota as the #1 car maker with this kind of attention to detail.

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
I want to know: how is it possible that this is only a North American problem? Surely the rear nozzle is not spec'd differently for different countries?
Why would it be?

Can someone explain how this is possible...

They drive on the wrong side of the road in the UK.

That reality MAY (and I'm not saying it does) mandate that the nozzle be located in a different location (i.e. behind the right seat instead of the left seat), which MAY necessitate a different PN (though the nozzle's internals would presumably be the same).

That's speculative, though - at least until someone posts pics of their UK car's nozzle and its location.

I seriously doubt that UK nozzles are internally different than their US counterpart's.

In engineering, things are often done for very legitimate reasons that aren't "obvious" to the customer. One good look at the owner's manual demonstrates that Euro models offer many different features that aren't offered here.

Either way, it's clearly an engineering oversight in the US models.

Last edited:

Marvin

Ready to race!
What were you waiting 4 and 6 months for?

What's the hassle? I had to wait just over 5 months for my car (ordered Feb. 2009). I was told that this wait was primarily due to the shortage of their most popular engine i.e. 1.4 TSI petrol engine.
Additionally I had also optioned a sunroof and was told that this would delay production.
Anyway it was no tough titty as I'd been promises a fixed p/x price and so could drive my MK5 into the ground (only joking, of course).
Their seems to be a wait of upto 8 weeks for most UK mass produced cars once you start wanting the myriad of extras outlined in the brochures.
Personally, I would never expect to find my ideal new car from stock.

jackrenter

Here they are:

Rear Washer Nozzle Drips After Use TSB 2023248

The water from the rear washer nozzle continues to run out after washer is shut off.

Technical Backround

Rear washer hose retains washer solvent after use. Without a check valve the excess water will continue to drain off out of the washer nozzle.

Service

Fit a non-return valve in the hose of the rear window washing system.

443-955-665 hose
113-955-975-C valve
000-979-992-A sleeve
1J0-955-875-R couplpiece

wait what now? ive definately got this problem. so i just tell the service ppl, and it gets fixed under warrenty???

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
wait what now? ive definately got this problem. so i just tell the service ppl, and it gets fixed under warrenty???

The dealer has to "replicate" or "verify" the problem before they'll acknowledge it.

Bring the TSB number in with you, since most VW dealers are apparently to incompetent to access the correct database.

Thing is, some have had "the fix" installed and it either did nothing or made it worse.

I'm having mine "fixed," though I'm sure happy that I decided to lease the car instead of buy it.

nik

Go Kart Champion
Dumb question and haven't searched anywhere, but does the Audi A3 have this issue?

ABD Racing

Ready to race!
excuse my retardedness, but if a one way check valve is in place to stop the washer fluid from coming out, then wouldnt the check valve also be doing its job by not letting the fluid out when you wanted it too? sorry, but i thought about this until i smelled something burning :confused:

r56mcs

Ready to race!
I want my hose clamped. or tied in a knot. .. kinda like vassectomy. I never use the rear washer anyway. it leaks occasionally.

jackrenter

excuse my retardedness, but if a one way check valve is in place to stop the washer fluid from coming out, then wouldnt the check valve also be doing its job by not letting the fluid out when you wanted it too? sorry, but i thought about this until i smelled something burning :confused:

if you check the first post. they have a link to a schematic of one.

it appears to have a spring valve. so when the fluid is pumping, and its under pressure, the valve opens to allow washer fluid through. but when the pump is off, and no pressure. the spring and ball should keep the line closed. and hopefully no more drippy drippy.