GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking Rear Window Washer Technical Analysis

jackrenter

The dealer has to "replicate" or "verify" the problem before they'll acknowledge it.

Bring the TSB number in with you, since most VW dealers are apparently to incompetent to access the correct database.

Thing is, some have had "the fix" installed and it either did nothing or made it worse.

I'm having mine "fixed," though I'm sure happy that I decided to lease the car instead of buy it.

blah. mines not that bad. just some extra drips afterwards, when under heavy acceleration.

maybe if i wait a while, theyll know about it better, and maybe be more competent at the fix.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
i unno if its just me but i seem to get this dripping problem on hot days
Maybe thats the problem in the UK we don't get hot days. ;)

P

plac

i have yet to weigh in on this, but i did my own test a couple weeks ago. used my rear washer for the first time since new. for a few hours after that, it dripped a bit. After 3-4 hours, it did not drip anymore, and hasnt dripped in the last 2 weeks.

ABD Racing

Ready to race!
if you check the first post. they have a link to a schematic of one.

it appears to have a spring valve. so when the fluid is pumping, and its under pressure, the valve opens to allow washer fluid through. but when the pump is off, and no pressure. the spring and ball should keep the line closed. and hopefully no more drippy drippy.

aahhhh ok, i didnt see that. thanks for pointing it out, lol.

sfitalianguy

Passed Driver's Ed

this seems to answer the question I meant to ask.. "does this happen EVEN when NOT using the rear washer?" .. I must have used it only a couple of times in 3 months and haven't noticed any noticeable dripping. And I HAVE been paying attention, given how many ppl complain about here. And, mine definitely doesn't drip when not used..

I'll keep checking. My car is clean now so I won't test it.. but as soon as it's dirty I'll play with the rear washer to ensure it's ok.

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
this seems to answer the question I meant to ask.. "does this happen EVEN when NOT using the rear washer?" .. I must have used it only a couple of times in 3 months and haven't noticed any noticeable dripping. And I HAVE been paying attention, given how many ppl complain about here. And, mine definitely doesn't drip when not used..

I'll keep checking. My car is clean now so I won't test it.. but as soon as it's dirty I'll play with the rear washer to ensure it's ok.

I don't doubt you, but at the same time I have to question how that's possible.

They all use the same design and system, so I can't understand how some can drip (and sometimes "pee" all over) while others never do.

Without no check valve, they'd have to leak.

The check valve housing and nozzle should all be part of the same one piece, molded plastic part (with the internals being installed afterward). How VW managed to somehow overlook that while seemingly ignoring the commonality of the problem and a real solution continues to evade me.

It's such a simple issue...

Virtually every SUV and hatchback on the road have rear window washers.

My 2009 Toyota Yaris had one and in never once dripped so much as a single drop.

Yet, this thing "unloads" whenever it feels like it. It's insane...:eek:

RACER00

Passed Driver's Ed
I also have the rear window wee problem. (this is also posted in another location on this site) After 3 trips to the dealer (first to diagnose the problem,,,,oh gee it does wee on the window, second to the TSB and valve install,,,,,still wees on window, and third back to dealer,,,,,oh gee it still wee and we don't know what to do now) it still wees.....but I found a solution (you see, I live in the desert....don't need no stinkin rear washer), a little soft plastic cap I found at my local ACE Hardware for about 50 cents (see photo). No more wee and if I do have to use it in the winter or somthin, I just pop it off. Now this solution won't work if your turbo craps out but hopefully the dealer can fix that.

RACER00

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry, heres the photo.

Attachments

• GTI cap 001.jpg
    GTI cap 001.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 265

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
I also have the rear window wee problem. (this is also posted in another location on this site) After 3 trips to the dealer (first to diagnose the problem,,,,oh gee it does wee on the window, second to the TSB and valve install,,,,,still wees on window, and third back to dealer,,,,,oh gee it still wee and we don't know what to do now) it still wees.....but I found a solution (you see, I live in the desert....don't need no stinkin rear washer), a little soft plastic cap I found at my local ACE Hardware for about 50 cents (see photo). No more wee and if I do have to use it in the winter or somthin, I just pop it off. Now this solution won't work if your turbo craps out but hopefully the dealer can fix that.

Please post photo and, if possible, ACE part number.

Thing is, I need the rear washer because I live in the Northeast.:cry:

I honestly can't believe how utterly ridiculous this situation is...

EDIT - Thanks for photo.

Do you happen the have the ACE part number?

Can you believe how utterly ridiculous this situation is?

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
I think I know what's going on here...

In a half hearted attempt to solve this problem, VW fitted the stiffest check valve spring that would reliably actuate with the pressure the washer pump is capable of generating.

But line pressure (which I'm convinced is greatly effected by the surface temperature at the roof) can be greater than max pump pressure.

Hence, the check valve leaks.

In that the case the real "fix" would be to install a check valve with a "stiffer spring" (higher spring constant)...AND a new washer pump that's capable of generating higher line pressure.

They won't do that due to cost.

So we'll likely be seeing leaks for years to come.

I'm going to ACE tomorrow and buying your plastic cap tip - if I can find one.

Thanks for the tip (no pun intended).

~ Bob

plat

Ready to race!
harddrivin1le, I have the same theory as yours. I would be going as far as trying out check valves from other manufacturers. They're quite inexpensive but I might just decide to cap it off like what RACEROO did to his.